High sugar

(David Cooke) #5

I found a few people on the net stating this. I was surprised.

(bulkbiker) #6

Probably the usual vegan crap…

(Mike W.) #7

My Hba1c went up a few points from this time last year.

In that case, you may see an A1C on there. “Hemoglobin A1C” is the full name, and if the doctor was at all worried about your blood sugar, he/she probably would have ordered it. Below 5.4 or so is ideal.

It’s an average over 3 months because it’s a measure of the sugar accumulation on red blood cells (which have approx 3-month lifespan). It’s a standard measure when there’s any question of blood sugar regulation.

Also you can get it done independently if you want (it would be really nice to have that as a measure now at the start of keto!). Watching that number drop is very satisfying and shows you’re going in the right direction.

Really? Within a health range?

(Bunny) #10

May depend on your genotype?

@atomicspacebunny
he’s new to keto - 2 days

(Bunny) #12

Oh! Will have to see what happens over time after getting adapted?

(Mike W.) #13

Yes. Under 6

(mole person) #15

How long had you been keto at the time of the test last year?

(Mike W.) #16

3 months.

(mole person) #17

That makes sense then; and is a good, rather than a bad thing. Although people here often talk about fat adaptation taking 1-2 months, it actually takes significantly longer for muscles to fully adapt to using fat as fuel. Once they have, however, your body begins to try to conserve its glucose since it’s energetically very expensive to make via gluconeogenesis. It does this by making muscle cells more insulin resistent so that they reject more glucose leaving it for the cells that must have it. This is called physiologic insulin resistence and is different from the pathological sort that is always paired with high insulin levels.
You would not have been fully adapted at the time of the first test so your muscles were still hungrily sucking up glucose leading to a temporarily much lower reading. But your body had just not yet reached a state of complete equilibrium.

(Mike W.) #19

I agree 100%. Thank you for the insight

(David Cooke) #20

Thanks everybody, I guess it’s a wait and see situation.
However I am at 126, which my doctor correctly says is border line diabetic.If my results rise even more, I certainly won’t be able to even visit a doctor, he’ll be in a “take my statins or go away” position.
I’ll get back on this after a month or two.
Thanks again.

(Consensus is Politics) #21

Ok. First, not trolling here. This is serious. I’ve made it very clear about two things. One… I can get very long winded (working on that). Two… I question everything. ‘Show me that data’ is my favorite mantra.

Do you have a source for that? That once fat adapted the muscles become insulin resistant preferring ketones? I ask because (first I’m assuming you mean this to be the truth, and I really want to know why’s about how this happens) because even if going keto makes your muscles insulin resistant, it doesn’t mean fat adaptation causes it. It could simply be the introduction of ketones which can happen without being fat adapted. As in exogenous ketones.

I just heard about a half dozen lights bulbs click on. I know several of you think much like I do.

Here is the gist of my questioning. If fat adaptation makes muscles insulin resistant, how long for them to switch back? And why are they switching back? Is it the loss of ketones or the raise in blood glucose?

Again, important to know the difference of the why’s here. If a person goes keto, and begins taking exogenous ketones. Likes how it feels, and goes back to old diet while keeping exogenous ketones, will that keep muscles insulin resistant because of the ketone presence? Or will the muscles switch back in a few days somewhat like it did getting into ketogenic?

I know a young lady who was trying to get into keto, but stopped doing it because some suggested exogenous ketones to her (probably at the gym). Looks to me she has gained 30 pounds in the past few months. I tried to talk to her about a ketogenic diet, but you know, kids know everything. Especially ones in their early thirties that haven’t hit the wall of knowledge yet the shows them what a crock all of their teachers were. That they just quoted books, written by people who also just quoted. One of my big irritations as a kid when someone would say only do it like this, and I’d ask why? And of course that leads to adults just ignoring the kid after a few times :sunglasses:

Like I said, long winded… anyway, her weight gain seems to coincide with the time frame of her asking me what I thought of ketone powders. She’s too busy to read anything I send her if it isn’t work related. And based on the things I hear her kids ask me, or how the talk to their mom (these kids have no filters. They will ask the most embarrassing things to their parents right in front of the person it applies to😂). In this case me. One of the kids asked me again for the umpteenth time, like they forgot the other forty times they asked. “Mr Bob, how much weight did you loose?” And I’d reply with, “40 pounds the first two week, and a total of 55 so far. Why?” At which point he turns to his mom, “hey mom, you should try what mr Bob is doing!” At which point the other child speaks up, “But she doesn’t want to starve herself!”

Yep, “The call me, Mr Bob” :cowboy_hat_face: and their mom tells them to lose all this weight I must be starving myself. So what I try to do now is speak to the kids about keto, the how’s and why’s of it it so they understand I’m not starving myself. Of course I do thin in front of their mom, but I think she throws up her filters so she doesn’t glean anything from it. :disappointed:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

The chemistry behind the low-carb/ketogenic diet is that carbohydrates are basically long chains of glucose molecules. These molecules get cleaved in the digestive tract and enter the bloodstream. A high level of glucose in the blood is an emergency (and can be fatal), so the body mobilizes insulin from the pancreas to get the glucose out of the bloodstream as quickly as possible, by sending it to muscles to be burned for fuel, and to fat cells to be stored as fat.

Cutting carbohydrate, therefore, greatly lowers blood glucose levels, and hence the body’s need to manufacture insulin, which at too high a level in the blood has many other serious effects besides causing us to put on fat. Blood glucose levels fluctuate quite a bit and are affected by a number of different factors, however, so although you are likely to see your serum glucose drop quite a bit over time, you may not see as great or as fast a drop as you could wish, especially at first. Be patient, and your serum glucose will most likely normalize. It generally happens by the six-month mark.

As far as HbA1C is concerned, it is a measure of how glycated the hemoglobin in your red blood cells has become. When serum glucose is high, it tends to bond with other molecules and cause problems (for example, sticky red blood cells tend to clot more readily and also to stick better to arterial walls). Since our red corpuscles (also known as erythrocytes) live about 90 days on average, the amount of glycation of our hemoglobin functions as a sort of rolling three-month average of our serum glucose. Since it changes more slowly, it is a reasonably good indicator of our glycemic status.

Our hemoglobin is always going to be glycated to some extent, because the red blood cells have no mitochondria and therefore cannot burn fat, so they depend on the glucose in the blood for fuel (the liver makes it for them, if we stop eating carbohydrate). But normally, this level of glycation is fairly low. You can see how, if it rises, therefore, it is a good indicator that there is a problem we need to deal with.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

A better term than “physiological insulin resistance” is “glucose sparing.” It is a documented fact that people who have been ketotic well past the point of fat-adaptation generally see a modest rise in serum glucose, but without a corresponding rise in HbA1C. This appears to be perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. As already mentioned, it results from the fact that the muscle cells have fully adapted to metabolizing fatty acids and no longer need much glucose to fuel their activities, so they down-regulate their insulin receptors, apparently to spare the glucose the liver is producing for the cells that cannot do without it. Since gluconeogenesis is demand-driven, this rise in serum glucose is quite well-regulated and not a sign of incipient diabetes.

The late Dr. Joseph Kraft felt strongly that serum glucose was not a good measure of diabetes or even insulin resistance. His research strongly suggested that the pattern of the insulin response to ingesting glucose could indicate the beginnings of metabolic trouble as much as twenty years before serum glucose even begins to rise. Ivor Cummins and Dr. Gerber (among others) have done some presentations on Dr. Kraft’s data on YouTube (check the Fat Emperor and LCDU channels). The problem is that an oral glucose tolerance test is expensive and time-consuming, so it’s not likely to become the standard diagnostic test any time soon.

(Bunny) #24

Since the body already makes endogenous glucose why would we want to eat so much of it on purpose (reward centers of the brain of course) so why would there be a need for glucose tolerance test?

Let’s make the person eat all this sugary stuff and see how well they tolerate it, then we will send them on their way and wait for them to get diabetes?

It is kind of like preparing for a murder/suicide, let’s see how much sugar and processed food they can eat before their body starts shutting down?

It is like a dog chasing it’s own tail, WE ARE NOT going to address or prevent the cause; only treat the effect?

Would we call this caring about what we are doing or understanding why we are doing it?

Sounds more like population control and monetary gain rather than medical science?

Makes no sense?

References:

1. “…Two major metabolic mechanisms are responsible for glucose utilization and therefore determine glucose tolerance: glucose storage and glucose oxidation. After glucose ingestion, a major part of glucose is retained in the liver where it is used for glycogen synthesis and triglyceride formation [4], A small fraction serves to replace glucose produced by the liver in the basal state, while another rather small fraction is oxidized at the periphery in response to the glucose load. …More

(Candy Lind) #25

WHOA. Statins are for cholesterol. He’s not giving you a statin for blood sugar, he’s giving it to you to lower cholesterol. YOU SHOULD REFUSE IT.

What he failed to tell you - statins have the side-effect of raising your blood sugar! How is that supposed to be good for you?

One other thing. Two weeks on keto might lower your fasting blood sugar a bit, but you should give it more like 3 months to see its real benefits. You will not be sorry you did.

DON’T. Read up-to-date scientific info here in the science section about cholesterol & statins.

Start a keto way of life and you’ll soon be back in the normal blood sugar range. We’re here to give each other information & support - and lucky you, you are now one of us! :+1: KCKO.

(mole person) #26

This is one of those cases where giving sources is difficult. There are plenty of explanations out there of physiologic insulin resistance, or glucose sparing, but they aren’t much different than what Paul and I have given above, and anything deeper gets into some very thorny biochemistry that most will not be able to make heads or tails of. I will link this, which goes somewhat deeper but will still be fairly comprehensible to many on this forum. For those that want to go deeper still, this paper has several references that may be of interest.

https://www.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/ajpendo.00580.2013

I hope this helps.