High Protein Modified "Keto + Fasting" muscle building with low fat

(Mario) #352

why you dont grab a simple and cheap caliper? over time, you will even be able to „measure“ water, thickend your skin after a high-protein day.

you might get a better feeling of your body, beside that numbers of a device, that already offers two different guessings…?

(Karim Wassef) #353

I have calipers but I can’t quite get the hang of it.

(Mario) #354

search for Jackson/Pollock. there is no big difference between 3 or 7. you are not a pro, so 0.8% difference wont mean anything.

i measure myself with 3. and honestly i dont care if that number is correct or not! i just have to feel good :grimacing:

(Karim Wassef) #355

Day 19 - July 6th 2019

DEXA day…

Yesterday, I remained faithful to the “carnivore” high protein low fat no carb approach but I was hungry and ate a lot of protein…

Yes… I ate 1.3kg of shrimp (nearly 3 lbs of shrimp, 0.5 lbs of salmon … and was still hungry)…

I even broke down later in the evening and had a can of anchovies… needed the salty and the brine I drink wasn’t enough :smiley:

So… here’s what happened:

I started the day with heavy legs - pushed my weights and did a short sauna (with protein shake) before heading to the pool… couple of hours later (and after already having had my shake), I was at 76G and 1.1K

That’s the highest ketone level I’ve seen during this experiment. It was interesting because it was after heavy legs + sauna + protein shake + pool … I usually don’t see such a high ketone level after eating so the shake is not hurting my ketone levels

Around 7pm, I had the salmon and mountain of shrimp :joy: … zero carbs and very low fat… It was also the highest protein intake of any day… later that evening, my numbers dropped to 98G and 0.2K … so over eating protein will definitely increase blood glucose and depress ketones. That’s my n=1

Ok… so this morning, I woke up to 63G and 0.5K. That’s actually the highest morning ketone reading too and near-lowest glucose reading… interesting transition.

Getting ready to head out for my DEXA/RMR… we’ll see what other new learnings today brings.

(Karim Wassef) #356

Sitting here relaxing in my RMR mask and thought I’d share the preliminary results of my DEXA:

The good news is that I went from 22% bf to 21.7%…

I lost 3.4lbs total with 1.1lbs fat and 2.3lbs lean. So this confirms that most of the weight lost has been lean mass… :frowning:

Still, losing 1.1lbs I’d fat is not bad. My visceral fat went from 1.46lbs to 0.92lbs (personal best)… that’s 0.54lbs or half of the total fat lost. So that’s interesting.

I don’t remember the reference but subcutaneous fat seems to convert to visceral fat during weight loss before being consumed. I’ll need to find it, but that explains the strange fluctuations in visceral fat mass.

Also - as usual - my lean mass loss is almost exclusively in my legs again. Not glutes, since I’ve been focusing on those, but quads and hams…

It’s like a lie detector test… I haven’t not been doing squats (double negatives are fun) but I haven’t been pushing like the other muscle groups… and the results show it… the bad news is that the normal recommendation with upper body lean mass gains didn’t happen so it was just a net loss.

More to come.

(Karim Wassef) #357

DEXA results:

So while this high protein low fat keto approach seems very expensive on lean mass loss, the fat loss was focused on my midsection and visceral fat. The worst results were glutes and legs with the majority of the lean loss in my legs. I will need to double down on legs.

RMR results:

Metabolic rate has increased slightly while the predicted RMR dropped. That means I’m running 10% faster than predicted.

Water fast vs Beef/Butter Protocol
OMG no...! My DEXA scan
(Karim Wassef) #358

Yesterday, I decided to try the carnivore pescatarian approach again… so when I got really hungry, I would eat more protein and a little fat from fish only… basically avoiding the nuts and plants.

This means that my calories are higher but my body temperature runs a lot higher.

Ended the night at 102G and 0.2K… woke up this morning at 88G and 0.3K.

(Karim Wassef) #359

Decided to compare the DEXA readings to my SCALE readings - same scale of 2lb/division but on opposite sides of the chart for lean and fat:

Given that I have some clothes on during DEXA and none on the SCALE, I expect a little difference and that the difference would be less in the summer than the winter.

Also, the time of day is a little different… also, hydration, food flux, etc…

It looks like the majority of the error is in the lean mass but as I’ve been trying to time the scan closer to my weigh in (weekends), the error has been reduced.

Why does this matter for this high protein experiment? well…
The large change in DEXA lean mass between the carnivore and high protein data points is the biggest concern right now.

The SCALE projects almost the same slope for lean mass loss (pink) between “the start of carnivore (cyc. fast datapoint) to end of carnivore” and “carnivore to high protein”, but DEXA doesn’t. In fact, that slope (dark red) goes from being slight to being much steeper. The fat results are pretty similar.

So - DEXA says that I’m losing lean mass faster on this high protein experiment. But that’s a function of one datapoint in mid-june… If that lean mass measurement was off (artificially high) for any reason, it would drive the wrong conclusions.

Here’s the scale data at higher resolution.

Basically, I start off well for either… but then I falter and the almonds corrupt me (and my data). I really need to push through this wall.

We go on vacation in 5 days… so I’m going to try to simplify. I can’t measure every meal constantly and weight myself on a smart scale or DEXA. This will be for a couple of weeks too, so it’s going to take a bite out of my ability to track anything.

So - I’m going with high protein carnivore and I’ll estimate the portions as best as I can. I’ll keep a log with images and hopefully that’ll help reconstruct afterwards. :smiley:

(Karim Wassef) #360

I think this chart really shows my struggle…

Here it is plotted with lean vs. fat mass

Whatever I’m trying to do, I lose or gain lean and fat together. Re-composition is still not working. I can change the rate of lean decline vs. fat decline…

That is a very linear fit… wow.

If I can’t get off that linear curve, then I’d need to be down to 144 lbs to achieve ~12% bf.

I ran a similar analysis months ago and it’s pretty consistent, even going back a year…

Looking over the longer timespan, the linear fit actually looks hopeful. A second order fit is actually better aligned to the data - which means that as I lose fat, I am losing lean mass at a faster rate.

I still want to find a way to avoid riding either line and try to stay above 150 lbs, preferably more like 170 lbs…

These last 15 lbs are going to be very rough… To get to my target of 170 lbs total and 12% bf (20 lbs fat), I think I need a hormonal reset.

(Karim Wassef) #361

Have to admit - I’m pretty discouraged but I’m not giving up…

(Karim Wassef) #362

I’m planning on being a high protein carnivore for the vacation too - so that’s almost all of July.

Also - I’ll probably stop fasting if I can. I want my daily dose of eggs and I can’t have that at dinner, so I’ll be adding more meals. This will be just carnivore - no OMAD (as much as I can).

I haven’t had almonds in nearly a week so I’m “holding”. I’m also cutting back on the pickled ginger and pickles in general. My only plant content is the following:

Coffee
Cacao (spoon)
MCT (teaspoon)
Ginger juice (spoon)
ACV (spoon)
Seasonings
Lettuce & Celery (media for wraps)

Yesterday I had a nice variety of fish and seafood:
Salmon baked
Tuna steak seared
Sea bass grilled
Shrimp

And the day before, I added:
Cod liver
Sardines
Anchovies
Tuna chunk

Heading to the pool :smiley:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #363

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Karim Wassef) #364

Just being scientific about it. :smiley:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #365

So do you know what state you’re gonna land in yet?

(Karim Wassef) #366

I’ll tell you tomorrow… but you’re probably going to get your wish. :smiley:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #367

Oooooo I’m so excited to find out. When you reveal, please tag me so I don’t miss it.:grin::grin::grin:

(Karim Wassef) #368

Ok… here it is…

(Karim Wassef) #369

Hackettstown, New Jersey - the garden state!

About an hour west of Manhattan and an hour east of the Poconos

(Little Miss Scare-All) #370

Awwwww been there many times to go hiking over at High Point. It’s a great place for hikes n camping. Usually stop at the Shoprite in Hackettstown for some snacks before we go.

It’s definitely quaint and middle of nowhere. You can get a really nice house for pretty cheap.

Yayyyy we’re gonna be State Mates!

When is this happening?

Oh, Great Master of Graphs and Charts, do you have something with GKI vs fat:protein ratio? Maybe throw calories and RMR in there too?