Water fast vs Beef/Butter Protocol

This isn’t really related to a stall, the only way I have been able to lose weight on Keto though has been by water fasting for 48+hrs at a time. I came across some video accounts of people trying beef/butter fasts for 3-4 days and it seems like they lose at least as much as I do, if not more with the beef/butter. I understand this would not yield the same results long term (caloric restriction issues, and not zeroing out cal/carb for autophagy) just curious if anyone has tried BOTH water fasting and the beef/butter and can share how it compared in terms of initial loss and refeed gains?

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #2

Can you post a link? I’d like to learn more.

@Karim_Wassef has done comparison testing of fasting vs different types of food protocols. Perhaps he can shed some light on the pros and cons of each.

(Karim Wassef) #4

Water fasting and carnivore both work reasonably well

Fasting provided the fastest fat loss but also the highest lean loss. Carnivore had the best ratio of fat to lean loss.

(Erin Macfarland ) #5

Oh this is very cool!

(hottie turned hag) #6

I’ve done more 48h fasts than I can count and around 10 72h since starting Aug 2017.
I also went carnivore (meat, butter, eggs only) from March until a few weeks ago to break a staill
Results: always lost after fasts and never regained
Lost 6lb quick (122-116) on carnivore then stalled again. Did a 48h fast and am now 114.

I just simply put into YouTube search Beef and Butter fast and watched about 6-7 of the videos where people gave their video diary/account on how it went for them (I only discovered it when a video was suggested on it).

This is awesome info, thank you for sharing :bouquet:

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #9

I wonder if that’s not such a bad thing? The lean tissue loss could have been extra skin or damaged cells. I recently read someone (I think it was Jason Fung) saying that obese people carry 10-20% more lean tissue than thin people, as he was making the case for autophagy. I’m just wondering aloud here :slight_smile:

(Karim Wassef) #10

Not a bad thing but an unknown. I regained my strength in weightlifting pretty fast and there’s a normal refeed weight gain that’s predominantly lean mass with fasting.

(Yvonne Faircloth) #11

Hi… Looking for advice on a stall… I’ve been doing keto for 3 months, and for the last three weeks Ive been at a stall… I have not cheated at all and I’ve been doing intermittent fasting anywhere from 14 to 24 hours… I’m not hardly ever hungry for the most part and have to make myself eat… I have lost my energy as well.nd I did loose 22 lbs in 10 weeks then it stopped!! I dont track marcos as I work long hours… I must add I am 55 and in menopause as well! :cry::sob:
Any way, can anyone help? I’ve researched till im blue in the face… It keeps telling me IF, which I’ve been doing since about my 3rd week almost every day and I didn’t start it intentionally, I just was never hungry! Would appreciate any insight on what I can do to break this stuff. Thank you so much in advance

(traci simpson) #12

22lbs in 10 weeks is awesome. Maybe you’re body just needs to readjust to the new you. Menopause and hormones are a bitch!