High fiber all-bran cereal with zero net carbs - Keto friendly?

cereals

(Empress of the Unexpected) #61

er instead of re. Don’t know how I picked up on it but when I started as a legal secretary years ago I was spelling judgment in the British way, judgement. And I still spell the color grey, not gray.

@Anniegirl9 – your reply was WAY too thoughtful, given who you’re talking to. I’m just doing my part to further deteriorate relations with our European allies.

Actually, I’m in good company. The best part about Innocents Abroad is how Twain constantly trolls the Europeans his entire trip.

I love the great vowel shift.
There’s a programme on BBC Radio 4 “Word of Mouth” (see iPlayer). The programme, years ago, explained Jamaican English accents. They are directly related to the people shipped from London in the 1600s. These people were rough sleepers in London and a king from another European country was due to visit and these poor folks were in the way.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #64

Whoops! Sorry, I MADE A MISTAKE WITH THE DECIMAL POINT, EVERYBODY!!! Very sorry, I must have been a lot tireder than I realized.

For the record, under U.S. labeling laws, any quantity under half a gram in a serving, that’s 0.5 g/serving, NOT 5.0, as I originally wrote, can be legally rounded down to 0 g. I fixed my earlier post, and I am very sorry for the consfusion.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #65

The English spoken in certain very isolated parts of Appalachia used to be considered very close to Elizabethan English; I don’t know whether that is still the scholarly consensus, however.

(Andrea) #66

My advice would be if you’re struggling with constipation then eat less vegetables/fibre. I’ve been troubled with this my whole life and I’ve reduced my veg intake and hey presto things moving slightly better. My mum was troubled her whole life with IBS/colitis/constipation and her solution was more fibre. But it never worked (and I realise now it never worked for me either).

It is counterintuitive but I’d give less fibre a try. Fibre irritates the bowels and so can cause more problems than it solves.

(TJ Borden) #67

:joy::joy::joy::joy: there’s nothing scholarly about Appalachia now, and I know I can say that without offending anybody because they don’t have internet there, so they’re not reading this anyway.

It is a pretty keto friendly region, however. A lot of squirrels and opossums on the menu… or whatever else found dead on the road.

(Nancy Gibson) #68

Hi, I don’t know anything about All Bran, sorry.

When I started Keto, I really missed my coffee and dry Kashi habit. Try this: 1 handful of pepitas (pumpkin seeds) + 1 handful of slivered almonds; or 1 handful of flaked coconut, unsweetened + 1 handful of macadamia nuts. Etc. Just something to munch with your coffee. Also, there is keto granola on etsy.com. Good luck.

(Cheryl Meyers) #69

I do a chia/flax meal porridge sometimes, similar to this only add 3 TBSP flaxmeal. Skip the sweetener sometimes too:
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup full fat coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk (see note)
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 packets stevia or equivalent low carb sweetener to taste
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup chia seeds see note
US Customary - Metric
Instructions
Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl until well blended.
Let sit for a few minutes and then stir it again.
Cover an place in refrigerator until thick like pudding.
Recipe Notes
If using almond milk, you may need to up the chia seeds to 1/2 cup.

Makes 4 servings
Net carbs per serving: 2 g

(bulkbiker) #70

1400 really?
Columbus sailing in 1492
Pilgrim Fathers leaving the UK in 1619…
You should all really speak Spanish anyway…

(LeeAnn Brooks) #71

It was a change that took place over a 400 year period around 1350- and well into the 1700’s.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #72

So perhaps Shakespear would have been a better choice as much of the vowel shift would have been well underway by the majority of the early American colonization. However it is the reason we here in the US pronounce our vowels differnently than England.

(Kaiden) #73

They’re not paying a fine. It may have as much as just under five calories per serving. Diet Mt. Dew is pretty honest, in that they admit a 20 oz. bottle of Diet Dew is 10 calories.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #74

Thanks for checking. I use Snoops all the time.

Don’t know why it never occurred to me to check there.
Maybe because I kind of always leaned towards the side of urban legend.

But now I know for sure.

(Todd Allen) #75

And sometimes truth is stranger than fiction or innocent mistakes. Or maybe the US government has trouble with decimal points too. According to the FDA “calorie free” means less than 5 calories per serving…

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=101.60

(b) Calorie content claims. (1) The terms “calorie free,” “free of calories,” “no calories,” “zero calories,” “without calories,” “trivial source of calories,” “negligible source of calories,” or “dietarily insignificant source of calories” may be used on the label or in the labeling of foods, provided that:

(i) The food contains less than 5 calories per reference amount customarily consumed and per labeled serving.

(Bunny) #76

…29 carbs WOW?

…6.8 grams of sugar ooooh!

Counting calories is like counting the blades of grass in the back yard, one zillion blades, yup! Not much you can do with that info[1]?

That would be my food intake for the day if I am not exercising! I normally eat once a day around 5’ish…

The sugar, OMG that is more (that I am aware of) than I usually eat in a two days!

Depending on how long you have been doing keto, 4 weeks-in, in your case, that is a really high intake to maintain Ketosis, probably won’t work unless that’s all your eating in one day?

Eating more raw organic leafy greens and more fermented veggies (easier to digest when starting out) would eventually take care of the fiber (empacted stool?) issue but you have to keep doing it until your gut flora biome adjusts to raw veggie ratios, but unfortunately people give up too soon out of convenience or other limitations with the raw leafy green salad part, and then think “…that because I cut out the raw veggies…” that they are “…having better stool\bowel movements (better biomarkers and immune responses?)…” are actually setting themselves up[6] for colon type cancers; a very very rude and tragic awakening long-term down the road indeed? The awesome chia flax seed pudding looks like a good option, mentioned by Cheryl?

Footnotes:

1. Calories Per Gram = Protein 4 Carbohydrates 4 Fat 9
  1. The Human Microbiome: How It Works + a Diet for Gut Health - Dr. Axe
  1. Microbiome 4R’s Remove-Replace-Reinoculate-Repair
  1. Can We Eat Our Way To A Healthier Microbiome? It’s Complicated
  1. https://www.viome.com
  1. Too much muscle meats in diet and heavily processed meats? Not enough Fish (marine life)?
  1. Heal Organs by Eating Organs (protomorphogens - DNA Parts) Dr. Darren Schmidt

(TJ Borden) #77

Love that

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #78

Every time one of my right-wing cousins posts something along the lines of “You’re in America now, speak English!” I reply with "You’re in America now, speak Algonquian, or Hopi, or Sioux!:

For some reason, they tend to get really irritated, even the one who are part Delaware. Go figure! :grinning:

(less is more, more or less) #79

Quickly glancing through this thread, I see highly-refined and intelligent, informed, and referenced responses to your question. So indulge my emotion reaction to this “high fiber” food offering:

Kill it with fire.

Kill net carbs with fire

Phew! I feel better now.

(KetoQ) #80

One more point, I recently came across an article mentioning that breakfast cereals, even of the lower carb, high fiber variety, may be higher on the glycemic index.

Meaning what you ate might be broken down and digested and into your system quicker than you think. You may not necessarily be getting the benefit of a high bran “slow food” and may be unwittingly spiking your insulin more than intended.