High fiber all-bran cereal with zero net carbs - Keto friendly?

cereals

(Empress of the Unexpected) #41

My favs are calibre, manoeuvre, sombre, and judgement.

(TJ Borden) #42

I’ll have you know, we don’t need anyone to help us be dumb… wait, I don’t think that came out right.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #43

I don’t know what you’re complaining about! :grinning:

It’s dead easy: 14/30 = x/100 ==> x = 1400/30 = 140/3 = 46.67 grams/ 100 grams. What could be simpler? :man_facepalming:

The conversion to kilojoules is left as an exercise for the student, lol!

(Edith) #44

Okay, okay, yes, I’m American and don’t necessarily relate grams and cup measurements in the kitchen very well. Sigh. :pensive:

I shall learn from my mistake!!! :muscle:t3:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

Oh—and now, compare that package to a similar product with a serving size of 35 grams!

(BTW, the goverment used to require that all products in a category use the same size serving, and furthermore, that they all calculate the unit price off the same quantity. One guess what happened. :man_facepalming: )

(karen) #46

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/25-delicious-low-carb-grain-free-cereal-recipes/

these are some reasonably low carb breakfast “cereal” recipes - lots of nuts.

I also make keto rolls with almond flour and psyllium husk. I can imagine making them with a bit of artificial sweetner, crumbling them up and baking them a bit longer for a cereal-like crunchy texture.

(icky) #47

How do you guys write those?? :smile:

(Cheryl Meyers) #48

This is why I use Myfitnesspal on my phone–Spot a likely product promising the moon, scan the barcode, plug in the amount I would probably eat per serve, then gag at the high carbs, and put package back on shelf and walk away… :roll_eyes:

(Kaiden) #49

I’m going to be pedantic here, so I apologize in advance. Technically correct is the best correct, after all.

Allulose is a monosaccharide, so it counts as a sugar, and carbohydrate. But, it’s not absorbed by the human body, so it’s not part of “impact carbohydrates” or “net carbs.” I find that my ketone level increases when I eat cookies sweetened with allulose, but that might be because I add about a quarter cup of ghee when I eat one.

(bulkbiker) #50

Ha ha ha ha…!

(Todd Allen) #51

Thanks for mentioning allulose. That’s new to me. It’s not entirely clear how it should be handled. The manufacturers don’t claim it is zero calorie. They call it a low calorie sweetener with about 10% of the calories of sucrose. I guess one might treat it similarly to sugar alcohols where some suggest you can subtract a fraction of the grams listed from the net carbs.

But despite finding it technically interesting I have no interest in allulose as food. It is described as rare in nature. The only time one would encounter it in significant concentration would be in processed foods. And the reason it would be put there is to fool a sugar craving brain to eat more of something that would otherwise be less interesting. With sugar alcohols there are potential pitfalls such as gas, bloating and diarrhea which suggest an impact on the gut microbiome as well as impacting hormones such as insulin and neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin. I expect there will be similar issues with high doses of unnaturally concentrated allulose too. I’d rather take my chances with the dangers of red meat and the dangers of sugars found naturally in quantities I know I tolerate ok such as in blueberries.

I’m not sure this is true. I don’t know this for certain, maybe I’ll see if I can find an official labelling guideline to help out. But I see plenty of products that are labelled anywhere from 1 to 4 g sugars. Now I really must know! Will report back if I find something… :smile:

Oh, this is interesting. Apparently the current labels are not required to show added sugars at all. If you’re taking total carbs and subtracting fiber to get net carbs, you’re fine, it’s the same on the current label and the future label.

But the grams listed for “sugar” are highly misleading. This is a good reason not to just count sugar grams. The new labelling is a pretty good idea, I’m happy to see this change happening (not until 2020, or 2021 for smaller producers, apparently).

https://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm385663.htm?utm_source=msn#images

(LeeAnn Brooks) #54

I thought it was if it was below .5 grams per serving, then it could be listed as zero. And so manufactures make the serving size so low they can get it to that level to call it 0.

I’m not sure if it’s an urban legend or true, but I’ve heard several times that Coke company pays an annual fine for mislabeling their Diet Coke as zero calories. The story goes it’s actually not under the limit to be able to say zero, but since Diet Pepsi’s ad is it’s just 1 calorie, Diet Coke would rather pay the FDA fine than admit they also have measurable calories, just so they can claim they are better than Diet Pepsi.

Jeez. You guys need to learn English.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #56

I know you were making a joke, but Americans actually speak a dialect closer to what would have been spoken in the era of Chaucer than does England. At least our vowels are much closer to the pronunciation of England circa 1400 than are England’s now.
Pretty much all of Europe at the time went through what’s known as the Great Vowel Shift. But because America was largely cut off, our vowel pronunciations remained true.

Sorry, the English teacher in me is coming out. I have no idea why I find that fascinating.

(TJ Borden) #57

Hmm… now that I think about it, I don’t ever remember seeing “wanker” in the Canterbury Tales.

(Edith) #58

What is you come from Brooklyn? How true are those vowels?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #59

Yeah, that’s probably based on Webster’s dictionary for standard American pronunciation guide. Not your more colorful regional dialects.

Though I find many regional dialects add or drop sounds rather than changing vowels.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #60

There is a pocket near Boston that mimics our British friends. It’s a very elite area, so my theory is they are just trying to set themselves apart from the American riff raft by going with the Queens English.