High fiber all-bran cereal with zero net carbs - Keto friendly?

cereals

(icky) #21

So how do these American labels work?

I see a serving size of 30 g (which seems pretty tiny!!)

And total carbs 11 g (which to me is over 33% of 30 g and not “4%” as it says on the label??)

These are even more confusing than the UK labels!! :roll_eyes:

(Duncan Kerridge) #22

A few more weeks and you might well find you drop having breakfast all together when you become fat adapted. Can’t remember the last time I had it.

Also the gut adapts to the new food you’re giving it - I did have a few constipation problems in the early days, but they cleared up. I eat hardly any fibre now and don’t have any problems at the other end.

It my be helpful to analyze what you miss about having cereal for breakfast. Is it the taste? The convenience? The ritual? The fiber? The lack of other substitutes?

To find the best solution, define the specific problem.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

Okay. First of all, the serving size is usually picked to make the numbers look good, so beware. If the serving size is small enough, any amount of sugar at 0.4999999999999999999 g and below counts as 0 g. Always double-check against the ingredients list.

Second, the percentages are percentages of your Recommended Daily Allowance (also called Daily Value, these days) of that particular nutrient or macronutrient, based on a daily intake of 2000 or 2500 kilocalories (the packet should say which). Third, and contrary to the British and European practice, the “Total Carbohydrate” amount includes not only sugars and other carbohydrate, but also soluble and insoluble fiber, which many of us subtract when calculating how many grams of carbohydrate we are eating (“net carbs”). Lastly, remember that in the U.S. a “calorie” in a food context is always a kilocalorie, not a regular calorie.

Clear? (As mud, I know!) :bacon:

EDITED TO FIX THE DAMNED DECIMAL POINT, SORRY!!!

(Edith) #25

The 30g is 1/3 cup, about the typical serving size for granola cereal. And yes, I realized after I posted that the percentage of carbs to total calories was not THAT low. :open_mouth:

I do keep to the serving size when I have some.

(icky) #26

O M G

How confusing is that???

Is that on purpose??

So that you need a PhD to understand the contents of food?

Is this a US thing to keep consumers dumb??

I just read what you wrote twice and I still don’t get it.

Do you have to use an app/ calculator/ conversion table to work it out?

Or can you do it in your head eventually??

(the cheater) #27

You nailed it.

(icky) #28

Can you talk me through this label, @PaulL ?

I see it saying “Serving size 30 g” which yeah, here in Europe they make servings ludicrously small too (like Barbie Doll sized) to make the numbers look better and to get a higher “servings per package” number too.

So, theoretical serving size 30 g

I also see now that the percentages are of your “recommended daily allowance” as you said, so I assume it means that if you eat 30 g of this cereal then you are getting 14 g of fat and for SAD that’s considered 22% of your recommended daily total fat intake.

So this 30 g serve of cereal actually contains:
14 g fat (which means the cereal is actually made of 50% fat, right?)
11 g total carbs
3 g fiber/ fibre which means the difference of 8 g must be net carbs
6 g of which are sugar(s)
4 g protein

Is that right?? :smile:

So I guess you guys in USA don’t get the conversion to “per 100g” the way we do in Europe.
Where I live, the manufacturer CAN put the numbers for a ficticiously tiny “serve” on the label, but is also forced to add the numbers for “100 g” or “100 mL” next to that, so that customers can compare and calculate easily.

The same goes for prices. For example, if one piece of cheese is packaged at 175g and another piece at 190g and another at 215g that makes comparing prices really tricky. So where I live, all supermarkets are legally obliged to also quote the “per 100g” or “per 100 mL” price next to that for all products, to allow customers to compare prices. YES, they print this “comparison” price in TINY letters but it’s still JUST legible :smile:

So when I go shopping, I can always see the “per 100g” carb content and can decided immediately if it’s a high carb/ medium carb/ low carb food.

(Todd Allen) #29

It’s not so bad. Just ignore the percentages as they are percentages of irrelevant values. I don’t even see them. When I look at those labels all I see is grams. And one shouldn’t be looking at labels at all because real food doesn’t come with labels.

(icky) #30

But as @PaulL says, if anything under 5 g of sugar counts as ZERO, how on earth do you guys keep track of “trace carbs”? That’s pretty darned relevant, if you’re trying to stick to under 20g!

4.9 g + 4.9 g + 4.9 g can really add up!

I don’t agree that real food has no labels. If I buy nuts they are real, but the different carb contents are still relevant.

Also, I do dirty keto, so I don’t just buy label-free food :wink:

But I will admit this: it’s academic, cos I live in Europe, so I’m not ACTUALLY having to deal with US labels at all - real food or dirty keto food :smile:

(the cheater) #31

That’s awesome! I wish they would do that here. Nope. It’s all about marketing and trickery. The food producers have the government in their back pocket.

But that makes so much sense. I was watching an episode of Peep Show and Mark comments on the price of olive oil in a “per 100ml” sort of way and, while that made sense, I never knew it had to be labeled/marketed as such. Man. I need to move to the UK.

(icky) #32

When I buy cheese, carbs/ sugar is still labeled as low as 0.2 g per 100 g here in Europe.

So no “magic cut off” of 4.9 g = zero here!

(icky) #33

Well, you will LOVE this then - there are a couple of very consumer friendly/ health conscious supermarkets where I live and when you get your shopping trolley, the trolley comes COMPLETE with a BUILT ON MAGNIFYING GLASS - so that everyone who doesn’t have 20/ 20 eagle eye vision CAN read the purposely-tiny-printed-info that companies are legally obliged to provide!!

How’s that for being pro-educated, savvy consumers with a real choice!

:smile:

We “communists” from Ye Olde Countries do get a few things right, you see :joy:

(Doug) #34

Have to laugh at that, Edith - “19 servings per container.” :smile: 30 grams is ~ 1.06 ounces. Gadzooks!

(icky) #35

Yup. For me that package would be 6 to 8 servings, max.

Certainly not 19!

(the cheater) #36

4, tops :smiley:

(the cheater) #37

That was one of the most shocking parts about becoming keto and really tracking my intake - realizing how SMALL serving sizes are for just about everything. The only thing you can really enjoy freely is water!

(Alec) #38

This a 1000 times over. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(KetoQ) #39

My advice is make an effort to stay away from grains and cereals. Why take a chance at spiking your insulin at the beginning of the day. You want to promote ketosis, not an insulin response.

This cereal is healthy – as compared to most cereals – but it is really not the best way to get your fiber on a keto plan. Eat more green, leafy vegetables, cabbage, brussels sprouts and broccoli for fiber as well as nutrition. Plus it is likely more filling than a bowl of cereal. Better yet, try a morning salad with full fat dressing. It would be a lot more keto friendly.

Ideally for breakfast, try a bulletproof coffee, and/or eggs fried in butter with cheese.

Good luck.

(Karen) #40

Bran has a relatively low glucose response, low insulin response, high satiety.

K