(LT) #1

I have my lab report back.
Since being on the keto diet for 1&1/2 months , the report said:
Total cholesterol 193 to 230
LDL 122 to 153
HDL - 56 - 62
Triglycerides - 80 - 77
Uric acid - 5.5-6.0

I’m very concerned about this jump in my cholesterol .
Any advise?

(Karen) #2

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/health/cholesterol
K

(Raj Seth) #4

Don’t be. There is NO science linking that level of cholesterol to a poor health outcome - it’s just an old wives tale. Do you really want to believe the OMG High cholesterol fear mongering hype from the same people that tell you to eat 60% of your calories from carbs?
There’s lots of science on why cholesterol might actually be protective.
Just KCKO.

(LT) #5

The above test was done 1 month from the 1st day of starting the keto actually…. Not sure what levels is it now.
Do I expect the cholesterol levels to rise further? Is there any symptoms to catch with very high cholesterol levels?
What is top most reading of LDL before it is considered to risk in Keto diet?
As for my diet, do I need to adjust anything food intake for drive or stable LDL lower without leaving keto.

(Raj Seth) #6

Some people see LDL rise on Keto- I think Feldman calls them hyper responders. But please read the science on cholesterol- in 70 yrs trying to vilify cholesterol, there is only one study from the 50s that links very high cholesterol (like 400) to a slightly higher incidence of heart issues - and the confounded abound in that study too - and it was a survey study, not a rigorous trial - Framingham something. All this time the establishment has been trying to crucify cholesterol but they haven’t been able to.
At your level - under 300 - I don’t believe there is any science pointing to it being bad

(Ron) #7

This might be helpful-

(Jason Jodway) #8

Do you want advice to not be concerned? Or to lower your nonHDL?

(Adam Kirby) #9

This guy IMO doesn’t even qualify as a hyper-responder. My TC is 411. :grin:

(Raj Seth) #10

Every cell in the body can produce cholesterol. It has probably more protective functions than anything else. Yay cholesterol👍
I had 261 total w 191 LDL. But with trigs at 119 and HDL 45, I’m on my way to a great trig/HDL ratio
Pre Keto trigs were 300-500 and HDL was 30 - so I’m happy

(Alec) #11

The ONLY numbers you are reporting that have ANY indication of health change are HDL level and triglycerides. I note that your HDL has gone up and that’s good. Your tris have gone down and that’s good. So I would say your numbers have gone absolutely in the right direction!! KCKO!

There is no science to the high cholesterol theories causing heart disease. Your LDL and total cholesterol levels are irrelevant. The only proven links are that higher total cholesterol levels are protective in some populations!! So please don’t believe the lies the pharma industry has peddled to make billions out of statins.

(Raj Seth) #12

What @Alecmcq said +1
@table2804 your trig/HDL ratio is stellar. Keep doing what you are doing! I wish I could get to your numbers. No, I know I will get there. KCKO

(Adam Kirby) #13

Someone should really put this on a bunch of billboards everywhere.

(LT) #14

wow, good for you :grinning:

(LT) #15

Hi all, thanks for the assurance. Your words have giving me some comfort knowing that I am not abnormal and at risk.

Next Q, I have done the lab test on 14April, which is basic health screening. Shall I do the same test or advance NMR and how soon? 6 months good?

(Mike W.) #16

How old are you?

So your total are BARELY over the “limit”
Your LDL is still only 53 points over the “normal”
Your HDL went UP
Your Trigs went DOWN

So what exactly are you concerned about? If your gonna do Keto, you gotta educate yourself on how the diet works, and not give in to propaganda. Your fine.

EDIT: Fixing my screw up

(LT) #18

Just saw what I did, touche, but still nothing to worry about. You can always have an NMR done to see how much matters, but most likely a waste of your time and money. Give yourself a couple months to adapt fully and it’ll most likely self correct.

(LT) #20

here where I am, keto is not common, not many people here for you can ask when in doubt and to share the experience about keto. With the report, my doc has suggested to start medication for me ! So not everybody even the doctors are familiar with keto diet as well as how it affects our body systems.
My concern is about high LDL and am I at risk of heart disease obviously.
I have done lots of googling with confusing feedback where some said the connection between elevated LDL cholesterol and heart disease remains controversial. I need hear and assurance from senior keto’ers.