Help! I feel awful!

newbies

(Maylee) #1

UPDATE!!! I was feeling this way due to very low electrolytes (most likely potassium). Once i drank some powerade zero, and some electrolyte supplements, i felt so much better. If you are someone who works out a lot on keto, MAKE SURE YOU TAKE YOUR ELECTROLYTES!!! so so so so important!! and eat when you’re hungry!! I was trying to intermittently fast while i was working out almost everyday. and it was making me feel terrible! I am a strong believer in intermittent fasting, but only for people who are not active. You need to eat if you’re active!! food is fuel!! don’t worry about calories guys. just eat when you’re hungry! you will not get fat from too many calories as long as you are following the keto diet :slight_smile:

ORIGINAL POST:

I am starting week 6 of keto and I feel terrible. I try to go to the gym 4-5 days a week. Have only gone 3 times this week. I go in the morning before work and then go to work after. I try to eat before I go to work, which I just started recently, because im never hungry. I FEEL SO TIRED driving to work sometimes I think I might fall asleep. My stomach feels sick and eating more food hasn’t really helped. I try to put salt on everything and drink two glasses of bone broth a day. Ive been tracking my macros and im getting about 75% fat, 20% protein, 5% carbs everyday according to the app, and about 2000 calories. I usually get 8-9 hours of sleep at night as well. Sometimes I have panic attacks because I feel so bad and my heart beats feel weird. I don’t want to stop because my body physically is looking awesome but my mental health feels terrible. Help!!! :frowning:

(Bethany) #2

Hay Maylee. The body is complicated, so I hope you take any internet medical advice with a grain of salt (figuratively and literally…)

If you are getting heart flutters, low potassium may be a factor. It is the electrolyte that helps to regulate heart rhythms. Avocados and/or supplementation can help (although I’d suggest to do your research before trying to supplement).

Would you also be willing to stop working out for a week to see if that is a contributing factor? Your body is likely still adjusting to the new source of fuel, and all the other hormonal/elecrolyte changes that go along with this.

Glad you’re looking into your health, and I hope you feel better soon!!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #3

Hmmm… I felt this way in weeks 3-4. It did pass.
It’s a bit odd you still feel this way in week 6, but everyone is different and the adaptation phase can take longer for some.

I hope you find some relief soon.
Sending you hugs.:hugs:

(Stacy Blanchard) #4

You might want to add magnesium to the suggested potassium. Most humans are deficient in these minerals and they are vital to optimum health. I really like Calm Magnesium and drink some every night.

(Maylee) #5

Thank you! I thought maybe that could’ve been it, planning on trying to intake more and see if it helps! i normally eat a lot of avocados but haven’t been recently!

(Maylee) #6

Thanks! I’m hoping it passes soon as well!

(Maylee) #7

Thank you! I will have to look into that

Hi Maylee,

I too am feeling very similar by the sounds of it. My stomach just doesn’t feel right (it’s not hunger pangs) and I have a very ‘cloudy’ head. My BS hovers between 2.6 and 4.3, which is better than it’s ever been (normally 1 - 1.5) and my fasted blood ketones level is around 5.3 (quite high. I’m working to try and reduce it a bit). I’m tired all the time and the gym is soooooooo much harder than before I started keto. On the up side…I have no trouble sleeping at night :):grin:

I am only 1 week and 5 days into it so, I’m pushing through but, I’d sure like to know when I’ll start feeling good again. My macros % aren’t quite as good as yours F55% P40% C5%, and I’m limiting my calories to around 1500 - 1600 a day. Mostly I eat because I should, not because I’m hungry. Keto has really whacked my hunger pangs!

EDIT - I take ACV, salt and just started adding cream of tarter, every morning and dinner time. I was fasting from around 19:30 to around 14:00 but, I’ve just started eating a very small amount at 8:00 to see if it helps a bit.

(David Brown) #9

i would recommend taking a vitamin b5 supplement. it helps fat turn into energy with the muscles. made a world of difference to me

(Lisa Signorelli) #10

I started about 5 weeks ago, then went on vacation with friends and was impossible to stay on. Just restarted this week, far more stringently, and I feel horrible. Much worse this time/ horrible headaches, nausea, exhausted, vertigo, waking up every couple of hours, heartbeat flutters. I don’t think i’m getting enough fat so added MCT and coconut oil. Worried about adding a lot of salt due to mild hypertension. Pushing through as best I can, but this is bad. :sleepy:

(Maylee) #11

Could be keto flu and could be low electrolytes!! So, put salt on all your food, and/or drink bone broth or pickle juice 1-2 times a day, (i do 2 and i feel awesome!). turns out my sickness was not getting enough potassium, so i drink a powerade zero everyday, and take supplements and i feel awesome. salt and electrolytes are SO IMPORTANT on keto. also go easy on working out until your body adjusts to being keto!!!

edit: and always listen to your body. if you’re hungry EAT!! don’t worry about calories or intermittent fasting. i’ve learned IT is good if you aren’t an active person. but if you workout a lot, YOU NEED TO EAT A LOT! calories don’t make you fat, so ignore them. just listen to your body :slight_smile:

(Maylee) #12

Sounds like you have keto flu!! intake lots of sodium and potassium and it will help a lot. I drink two glasses of bone broth a day, a powerade zero, and a vitamin supplement that has potassium, magnesium, etc… all the good electrolytes. that is very important to do on keto or else you will feel terrible. and always listen to your body. eat when you’re hungry!! you’re body knows when you need fuel! :slight_smile:

(Lisa Signorelli) #13

Thanks. Woke up feeling bad. Drank coffee with coconut oil and had an electrolyte drink. Fasted until 1, then had a Cobb salad with avocado, bacon etc. Feel better but still have a dull headache. Will drink some salt water.

(Michelle isaacson) #14

Omg! So glad I saw this post! I am 5 weeks in and feel like I have just started over. I have had pos ketones since 24 hours of starting. Blood Ketones 3.0 No intermittent fasting. I am dizzy, nauseous, mild headaches and exhausted. My legs and feet cramp every night (this happened before Keto too). Insatiable thirst. I drank over 100 oz yesterday. Still super thirsty today. I am going to try to the helpful suggestions above. :smiley:

I’m drinking loads as well, which is quite new for me. Never used to drink much really. But, what goes in, must come out! I’m p#ssing like a race horse!!!

(Michelle isaacson) #16

I am curious how cream of tartar contributes to Keto :smiley:

(Tesha) #17

What is your sodium intake?

Cream of tartar is a great source of potassium. However, you should take care when using it, because it’s easy to overdose, which is VERY bad for you.

I don’t measure it in terms of grams etc. I take approx. 1 tsp of sea salt crystals in the ketoaide per day. Plus a reasonable amount of salt used at meal times.

(Michelle isaacson) #20

:+1: