Help! Help! Help! And SOS too!

(Suzanne Barton) #1

I have been keto since August 3 but have run into an issue I just can’t get control of and am at the end of my rope with it.

The place where I work is very short on help. So I am working from 6:30 am to 9pm 5 days a week. The 6th day I work from 6:30 am to 11 pm. So I am home only to sleep for 6 days a week. I am also super stressed out due to having to do the jobs of 2 other people since we don’t have enough staff.
On my one day off a week I am able to eat keto just fine cause i’m home by myself. But while at work the other 6 days a week I am not only exhausted and stressed but also constantly surrounded by carbage. Like, mounds of it. Since I have been a stress eater all my life I am in a big mess and constantly fall off the wagon.
I am prediabetic and feel awful after I eat the carbs but that hasn’t stopped me from reaching for them daily.
It is not possible for me to quit my job at this time although I am seriously considering it before my health suffers permanent damage from the stress, exhaustion, and carbs. I KNOW I would feel so much better if I could just stick to keto but I am simply overwhelmed. Suggestions? Tips? Help?
Sorry so long. And THANK YOU in advance for any help!!

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #2

You can do this! How about on your day off, boil/steam some eggs?

The wonderful people here hopefully will chime in for some exciting hard boiled egg variations.

(OM) #3

Can you cook food on your day off and take it with you? I do that on sunday, and have lunch for the rest of the week. I also make a coffee with heavy whipping cream in the morning and take it with me in a insulated bottle so I can sip when I get hungry.

(Suzanne Barton) #4

I make stuff on my day off…take it too work…eat it all…then eat sugartrash on top of it. Totally not hungry at all. Just have no idea how to control the stress eating. That was an issue before keto so it’s definitely rearing it’s ugly head now.
So I guess my real need is - how do I handle the stress so I don’t eat eat eat while I am so exhausted and worn out all I want to do is cry?
Thanks for suggestion though. I do love eggs.

(Ethan) #5

I would recommend you try fasting g, initially intermittent and later extended. Bring your own emergency rations that are keto friendly. Then if you get hungry, eat those instead of the crappy carbage

(Bunny) #6

This might help!

This too!

(Liz ) #7

I feel for you. Just because Keto helps me with my cravings, it didn’t magically cure my disordered eating. Carbs are addictive for me, and maybe for you too? And the addicted brain does not make good decisions. I wish I had specific advice for you, but I haven’t even 100% figured out new coping mechanisms for myself, but I am not exposed to temptation like you are so that’s half the battle right there. Probably you should look at coping methods recommended for addicts and see if any of it resonates. I wish you relief from your suffering.

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #8

@Suzanneb, what @marioana said! Coffee with HWC (and now coconut milk) does it for me. One around breakfast, and another around lunch. I only get hungry around dinner time.

When the urge to eat carbs arises, drink water.

(Bacon for the Win) #9

ok, I’ll say it. You need a new job!

(Suzanne Barton) #10

Definitely sugar addicted. I remember as a 6-7 year old child dumping half a cup of sugar on my cereal…then going back for more
I read how some people say they’ve been on keto for so long and sugar tastes awful to them. Not me. I love it. Crave it daily even without mega stress.
Good idea about looking up how addicts cope. I will definitely do that!

(Suzanne Barton) #11

LOL. Yes indeed I do. It’s just not feasible right now for various reasons.

(Liz ) #12

I am the same, would eat sugar straight from the box. I have been low carb since 2003 and I can tell you sugar does not taste awful to me, I could fall right back down that addiction hole in a finger snap. But what did help tremendously is that by going low carb my cravings eased over time. They really did, that message I had always running in my brain like a radio ad for sweets just suddenly went silent. What a relief! After that it was easier to pass sweets and other carbs by. I treated my sugar addiction like it was a drug addiction or an alcohol dependency, I took it that seriously. I said things like “I’ve had enough sugar for 3 lifetimes, I’m all set.” And “The treat for me now is not eating things that make me feel terrible.” I used sugar substitutes until I was able to wean off those as well. It’s a process. Please keep trying and don’t beat yourself up. Sugar addiction is no joke and it is really insidious.

(KCKO, KCFO) #13

When I am fasting and I do start to think, I need something to eat NOW. I stop, take a deep breath & count to ten. Close my eyes and image the food I am tempted to eat is covered in maggots and worms. I have done this while doing other eating plans too. It is in one of the Wally Lamb books, his main character is fat and gets skinny by doing the imagery thing. It sounds crazy, but do it, you will not want what it was you were considering eating. But you might want something else later, so repeat.

If the carbage is located near you speak to your supervisor about getting it moved out of the way. If you have a desk job, keep something good for you as back up in your desk. Also on your next day off, sit down and write out what would help you stay calmer during your work hrs. Find one or two items that are within your control and work on those with the help of your supervisor, if they are short handed already, and can’t find replacements, they probably don’t want to lose a trained worker. There is a book, I can’t remember the authors, but the title is Take This Job and Love It. I found it helpful when I seriously wanted to just walk away. It is from at least 10 yrs. ago so might be in a library or on the web very cheaply. Sorry I already gave my copy away when I retired, from the same company BTW. I second LizLowell’s idea too.

Last tip make sure you get your electrolytes in with lots of water, stress burns right through those.

I’ve been there, I know how very difficult it can be, but hang in there. When you are at the bottom the only way is up. Hope things get better really soon for you. Big cyber hug sent your way…

(Suzanne Barton) #14

Great idea. I will do that this afternoon.

Unfortunately, it’s not possible to hide away the carbage where I work. I work at a boarding school and one of the things I do is cook for the students. I would just love to be able to throw out all the junk in the dorm and put everyone on keto but I don’t have authority to make that decision and everyone keeps telling me i’m going to have a heart attack from my new WOE. :roll_eyes:

(Suzanne Barton) #15

[quote=“LizinLowell, post:12, topic:24082”]
have been low carb since 2003 and I can tell you sugar does not taste awful to me, I could fall right back down that addiction hole in a finger snap.
[/quote/]

Thanks for this!!! Helps so much to know i’m not the only one!!

It sounds like this may not be the right time for you to be on a keto diet. Eating HFLC is just a tool, perhaps some type of fasting regime would work better for you. Dr Fung adopted a fasting protocol because many of his patients couldn’t/wouldn’t adjust their diet. Fasting can be just as effective or more effective than a HFLC diet in reversing metabolic disorders and weight loss.

If you can’t resist the carbage you’re surrounded by, eat it in limited amounts and/or limited windows. For example, two meals a day within a 6 hour window and fast the remaining 18 hours. Or, alternate day cycles of feeding and fasting.

There isn’t one “right” way or even best way. There are multiple paths to achieving your goal. If one road is blocked, choose another one.

(margot) #17

Wow this sounds like a tough schedule indeed, sorry that you’re going through this. I know what it’s like not to have control over your meals or the kind of food you’re surrounded by. I haven’t found a magic formula but my main suggestion is be kind to yourself.

I’ve found three things work for me.

1. I’ve told colleagues I don’t eat carbs due to hormone issues, and I have too much stubbornness and pride to let them see me eat things I shouldn’t. I know they don’t really care but I am judging myself through their eyes. Eating things I shouldn’t in secret is not an option as we have an open plan kitchen, so I am not tempted. Aware this doesn’t work for everyone.

2. I make a deal with myself. If I don’t eat crap I’m not supposed to, I can treat myself with something else. I love to cook so I occasionally make my own low carb desserts and look forward to having these. Again this involves having time, but maybe something simple like keto cookie dough you can bake at work fresh for a break?

3. I have finally started to think about quality over opportunity. I found myself travelling a lot for work and surrounded by people I didn’t know who eat crap, thinking “if they can so can I”. I felt terrible and eventually realised that the sneaky forbidden foods were actually total junk and not worth cheating on myself. I would allow myself something special and high quality once in a while like nice chocolate or fancy cheese, and I found I wanted the mass produced rubbish less.

I hope that is somewhat useful. I think a new job is potentially the best thing but in the meantime, be kind to yourself and your body.