HELP! Embarrassing problem at work

I would love to be able to skip lunch on week days, and even though I get hungry, especially when coworkers warm up lunch, I don’t mind pushing through.

However, I sit in a lot of meetings… a lot of quiet meetings… with one person at a time talking… and one stomach providing very loud accompaniment. I try digging my arm into my belly, flexing my abs so hard I get a bonus workout, to no avail. I have trouble focusing on the meeting not because of the hunger but because of the embarrassment and worrying about the noise.

I know I can always eat lunch and skip dinner, but I like cooking dinner for my family and enjoying it with them instead of either hiding in my room or watching them eat.

I could also do 2 meals a day every day, but doing that has not been successful in losing the last 10 lbs I have. Plus, I get sleepy at work after I eat lunch, so I would rather fast during work hours.

Any advice on ways to make my stomach shut the f up? I drink copious amounts of coffee and tea, but it doesn’t help.

(What The Fast?!) #2

ACV? Not sure if that would work but could be worth trying.

(Samantha ) #3

Are you eating anything that would cause you to have an upset stomach? Do you notice anything you are eating triggering the noises? Honestly, I doubt your co-workers care that your stomach is making noise, but I understand the irritation. Sometimes caffeine can cause these noises. Are you drinking high amounts of caffeine from your coffee and tea intake?

It’ll get better. Those are actually sounds from your body digesting dinner the night before… and the by product -gas. We were told as kids that it meant we’re hungry which really isn’t the case. When your body becomes more efficient at digesting keto you won’t hear the rumbly in you tumbly as much. Also try not to chew gum, which causes you to swallow air and gives you gas.

I have not tried it, maybe worth a shot. unfortunately I really dislike vinegar but I am willing to try anything.

It’s not an upset stomach type noise, it’s a hungry growl! I don’t think I could go through the day without coffee though. Plus it happens without coffee too, even worse.

Interesting, I didn’t know that. It doesn’t feel like gas, but I suppose it could be. I’ve been Keto and fasting for 7 months already, and it’s still not better. It only gets better on day 4 of an extended fast, but I am not doing those anymore as I am close to goal, and it is very uncomfortable to fast for multiple days.

ACV should always be mixed in something. Ideas, other than salad dressing either a half glass of water or what someone posted recently (sorry forgot who it was), mix some seltzer or club soda with ACV and a little juice from a lime or lemon. I could not believe how tasty it was, still a little yucky but much better

This happens to me too, my coworkers and I just laugh about it. But we have worked together for years and they know about my “weird” eating (or lack of eating) habits. Sparkling water (i.e. Lacroix) helps and if you add ACV and salt to it, even better!

(Cristian Lopez) #10

After a while your stomach size will naturally shrink due too the extended periods with no food. I mean how loud can it be? Its not like your farting lol

(Ethan) #11

I disagree. I get them 5 days into a fast still, and there is no way my stomach is still digesting a meal from 5 days prior.

I make sure and stretch my stomach nice and big during my feeding windows :laughing:
And yes, it is pretty loud!

Powdered Ginger capsules are both an excellent digestive balancer and an appetite suppressant - you might consider taking a capsule in early/midday and wash it down well with plenty of beverage. :wink:

Ginger helps me fast better and feast better, and because it reduces insulin and cortisol, and is a natural anti-inflammatory - I’m not concerned about the very very tiny amount of carbs per capsule, due to my continued positive results! There are a lot of eastern and western studies out there on Ginger if you research, and apparently because of how it reduces cortisol it’s a special friend for recomposition of belly fat!

Keep Calm and Keto On :sparkles:

(Troy) #14

Agree w ACV
I am back to it again as well—finally!
I take imy concoction B4 bed

I like the idea of ginger tablets too🤔
Thanks for that info @SlowBurnMary

I chew and eat on raw ginger Now
Love it

(Paula Green) #15

Another recommendation for ACV (with soda water and salt and lemon). It really helped me with my grumbling tummy and has so many other benefits.

Thank you all for the tips, I will definitely try ginger and ACV and see if it helps!

Thinking about it, me too! Our intestines are constantly moving though- it’s called peristalsis. If you’ve ever had to be put under for surgery they want to listen for bowel sounds to make sure you’re guts haven’t stopped moving. No movement is no bueno.

(Miss E) #18

damn, I’m sold! I’ve only ever had it for nausea (and metabolic warming)

(Miss E) #19

yep, this is what I was thinking. I’ve heard that the sound is constantly there but we usually don’t hear it because the food mutes it.

:smiley: After my first month of supplementation of two capsules a day, I increased to three capsules a day - and that’s when things noticeably sped up. If two caps are around 1 gram of dry Ginger, three caps is around 1.5.

Apparently in the studies done, they’ve used up to 3 grams of Ginger supplementation per day with success (2 caps 3xday). It only gets excessive/problematic/contraindicated closer to 4 grams.

So, am going to be increasing supplementation even more I think, at least on the days when I don’t also cook with it (my favorite way to supplement with it, but it’s not an effectively delivery unless one has around 2 tablespooons shredded fresh Ginger for a serving, because of its fiber and water etc). It smells heavenly when added to a little sauteed onion or green onion. Hope this helps!