Help, Charlie horse and high heart rate

I am getting woken up by charlie horses in my calf while sleeping. Not a good way to wake up. And last night when I went to lay down to sleep my heart rate got up to 144 beats a minute. ( I have a Fitbit with HR). I am assuming I need for electrolytes. I have been drinking a ZipFizz everyday. Any suggestions??? Thanks

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

I’m not doc but I was supplementing with potassium in the beginning, probably more than I should and when I stopped it, and just used himalyan salt to taste on foods, the charlie horses stopped and the “heart beating so hard” feelings stopped as well.

Comp-Chart

(Robert C) #3

I would use the keto aide mentioned here for the electrolytes.

I would drop the ZipFizz for 2 reasons:

1. You might be drinking a lot of caffeine. Their web site espouses “t contains no ephedra or other artificial stimulants.” but, I consider caffeine a potent artificial stimulant (i.e. not usually from natural sources even though caffeine itself is considered natural). Each serving of ZipFizz is more than 2 diet cokes (so at least limit it to 1 in the AM or something).
  2. They are also advertising B12 as helpful but, I have been told B12 doesn’t survive the gut. (Not a doctor) but I have been told you need a B12 shot or to take it sub-lingually (and specifically methylcobalamin) for it to be helpful (so their B12 might be a waste of money).

You would be correct, but no pre made “electrolyte” drink is going to have any amount that makes a difference. Keto-ade is your friend.

(Omar) #5

Those things tend to read 20 pulse hire than professional heart pulse rate device specially when they are not worn snag fit on the wrest.

This is the Keto Aid that Brenda Zorn makes @Brenda
I made it yesterday.
Also, i have powder supplements, and when i started getting A cramp in the middle of the night last night, I got up and I took one of my magnesium capsules. It’s a capsule not a tablet because I think that absorbed quicker and I had no further problems.
Make sure not to over do certain supplements… research things before you take them.
they seem innocent but you can take too much of things.
I’m still new so research research research!
Good luck and I’m really glad that you put this out there!

(Allie) #7

Magnesium at bedtime works wonders. Epsom salts in your baths too, or Dead Sea salts which I also like to soak in. Magnesium oil spray is the best I find but it can make skin itchy and uncomfortable for some people.

(less is more, more or less) #8

For whatever reason, I have been plagued, for decades, with 2 AM charlie horses. Typing that “I hate them” is woefully insufficient. I have started a regimen of magnesium citrate powered and Morton’s Lite Salt. I add these to my lunch or dinner. Not only has it stopped the charlie horses, I sleep more soundly now. I got these ingredients from the Keto Ade recipe found on this forum.

(Dr Relaine Winslow) #9

I AM new to this keto diet. I never even heard of it before reading Dr. Boz’s book. I was/am truly interested in the keto theory. That lack of carbohydrates can starve bacteria and/or infection. My main problem is dental infection and would appreciate any advice folks have. I have been on the diet now for 2 months. I think I am in ketosis. Winging it leaves a lot to learn.

I have been experiencing servers heart palpitations. Is this a normal reaction? Is it dangerous? Should I be concerned? I appreciate any advice. Night cramps are also a big problem, but was a problem even before I began the diet.

I am not over weight. Female, 5’2”. 120 lbs, I had a huge weight problem after the birth of my last child, 50 years ago. Lost 95 pounds on Atkins diet then, and have stayed with this eating routine since. So, Keto diet was easy to get on. Now I need to figure out how to use it to starve infection. Also some artery plaque. Help anyone, please

If you have a dental infection you really should see a dentist. Dental infections can turn very nasty, very quickly.

(Dr Relaine Winslow) #11

I have seen a dentist. Over a few year, I spent thousands of dollars and many hours in the dentist chair. All is fixed quickly with antibiotics and replacement work. All infection back within a few months. I think there must be a better way. I am now exploring this Keto philosophy. Any ideas are appreciated.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #12

Have you looked at the relation between chronic dental infections and heart disease?

How are your electrolytes? Are you supplementing or getting enough salt, for instance?

I am fortunate to have a healthy mouth, but I am also anal about oral care (brushing, flossing, baking soda and salt rinses if I even feel a twinge of a problem, or get a cut on my gums, etc.) I don’t know enough about oral disease to advise you, unfortunately, or if a ketogenic diet helps “starve” bacteria.

Also, I have a new foster kitty with peridontitis which my vet explained is a chronic condition in certain cats caused by an autoimmune reaction to microscopic amounts of plaque leading to terrible gingivitis/ulcerations. I don’t know if the immune system is involved in humans too, a quick google look says it’s from poor oral hygiene, but may be the same autoimmune issues are at work in humans too ??

I have no doubt a sugar/carb free diet is better for dental health but a recurrent infection needs attention. I’m guessing you’ve tried other dentists?

(Carl Keller) #14

I’m no expert but I do believe eating keto will help your dental health. Eliminating carbs/sugars is essentially starving the bacteria that excrete acids that cause tooth decay. Interestingly, a few weeks into keto, I had a tooth that flared up and hating the dentist like I do, I decided to brush my teeth with coconut oil along with toothpaste since CO has antimicrobial properties. After a few days the irritation went away and it hasn’t bothered me since (nearly 3 months). Of course I should have gone to the dentist…

This is a quote from this same thread:

and this about heart palpitations:

One common cause is dehydration and a lack of salt. A reduction in the amount of circulating fluid in the blood stream means that the heart will have to pump blood slightly harder or faster to maintain blood pressure.

So try to drink 64 oz (2 liters) and get 1-2 teaspoons of sodium per day and that should get things right.

(Lisa Hansen) #15

If magnesium citrate causes diarrhea, try magnesium glycinate. Harder to find but a real life saver if citrate causes a problem.

(Sherry Felt) #16

Not true. Mine is ALWAYS exactly spot on within 1-2 difference in beats than my Dr.'s BP monitor for the bpm.

(Bunny) #17

Pickle juice is a quick fix (35 seconds) for the charlie horses when that happens (also stops the hiccups).

Sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night kicking my leg out in front of me to try and stop the spasms… lol