Hello, new here and new to the keto way of living and I have a few questions

(eat more) #21

and the other bodybuilder dude (cory gregory…not the dude that youtube documented) and there’s “reverse dieting” in the non keto world

Wasn’t it Ketodave that ate 5000 kcal a day and didn’t gain weight?

I am to saying you should eat past satiety BUT what I am saying is that what you are eating matters not how many calories. The guy mentioned by @MiKetoAF might be Same Feltham although he isn’t a body builder. He has done some interesting 5K per day experiments though showing just what I am saying. He compares 5K a day on high fat vs high carb.

Mine was a tiny little n=1 but I added 2T of fat per day on top of my regular food regardless of whether I went past satiety (so it couldn’t be said I was using it as a replacement basically). It was a facetious gesture really to prove a point but it did so…

No I am not saying that (although Sam Feltham did do just that). I am saying EAT TO SATIETY without counting calories. I am really flabbergasted as to why people always have to go to extremes. So if I say, add fat, read START CHUGGING BUTTER or if I say forget calories, waste of time, read EAT ALL THE FOODS. Come on…

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #25

THIS THIS FUCKING THIS!!!

Not sure how many other ways I can say it really!

(Mike W.) #27

Jason Wittrock. Here are his results and thoughts after 21 days.

Really tempted to do something more challenging like this myself at some point. I need to get into the whole tracking thing though which… bleurgh!

(eat more) #29

you can do it in the name of science! :joy:

i’m not tied to my app all day

i have a small white board on the fridge that i write grams of what i prepared…post-it notes before i said “hey dummy…white board right there” lol
but…that brings up another possible pain for others…i weigh everything :joy:

i don’t usually log anything until after dinner…it’s a game of “yay! on point” or “oops i’m over/under”
last two days i’ve been over (not on carbs!) but i was under a few days earlier in the week so i just call it protein/fat “cycling” :joy::joy::joy:
i’m down from last “weigh-in”…which means little since i’m terribly inconsistent at weighing…i forget to do it

(Sierra) #30

Hello, thank you all for the information. I will try to work on not worrying tooo much about the calories and I’m not necessarily trying to, that just seems to be what I end up eating.

I really appreciate the responses. I didn’t have time to get on here yesterday and it was awesome to log on just now and see how awesome you all are, thank you!

(Sierra) #31

Well what I eat depends on the day but I will just give you a couple examples from the last few days.

Today I we are going to be at the range for half the day so I know that I’m not going to be eating till way later today so I had a huge breakfast with my coffee. I added a third TBSP mct oil and some cream and cinnamon to my coffee. I had 3 medium scrambled eggs, 1 brazil nut, a couple pecans, some sauted spinach and some bacon ends.

Yesterday was:
Breakfast -
12 oz coffee w/ 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream, cinnamon, and 1 tbsp mct oil
1 serving pecans
2 slices roast beef rolled up with some organic spring mix.

Lunch -
8oz. Protein shake (with vegan protein powder)
1 babybel mini cheese

Dinner -
Flatbread sandwich wrap (low carb flatbread…only 4 net carbs)
^ pastrami, spring mix, olive slices, 1 cheese slice, avocado and mustard
Sliced cucumbers

Day Before yesterday was

Breakfast:
Black Coffee w/ almond milk
1 brazil nut
1 serving pecans
79oz sliced deli pastrami
fiber supplement

Lunch:
Mini babybel cheese
Protein Drink

Dinner:
4.5oz salmon
Sauted spinach sprinkled w/ hemp hearts
Grilled Asparagus topped w/ garlic and herb marscapone cheese

Snacks:
1 string cheese

Day Before that

Breakfast
12oz black coffee
1 brazil nut
2 hard boiled eggs
a few raw walnuts

Lunch
Protein drink

Dinner
A huge salad w/ chicken breast, olives, avocado, 1 piece bacon chopped, hemp seeds, sunflower nuts and organic spring mix w/ avocado cilantro dressing.

Snacks
1 square 89% dark chocolate (2 net carbs)

And no, I have not eating any frozen atkins foods, or any frozen foods. The only atkins products I have are the atkins shakes.

(shawn) #32

Hi there, and welcome. I think many of us over ate when we first started keto. when you first start out and you’re still a sugar burner, haven’t lost the cravings yet, and are still physically and emotionally trying to replace the carbs that your sugar-burning body still wants with keto foods. This is okay to do, because it will help you stick with the program. The lack of hunger comes after you go through withdrawal from carbs. I don’t count calories, but when I started my calories were way over the ones that you listed. If I restricted myself that much, I would have fallen off the wagon. Also, make sure you’re getting enough salt. It helps with energy, headaches,and other carb flu symptoms. And also along with salt, you may need magnesium calcium and potassium if you get leg cramps at night.

(Sierra) #33

No I have not been to a doctor to get anything checked since I don’t have health insurance. I am almost certain that I have adrenal issues based on the weeks of research I have done but I don’t know that for sure. I did have high blood pressure at one point when I had to go to the doctor but the last time I went to one they said it was good (I had been working on it by eating low sodium).My mother who is doing this diet (way of life) keeps telling me over and over that I need to stop worrying about sodium and eat more salt but that is harder to me than worrying about fat, considering that I am cooking for my fiance as well who is a bit older than me and on blood pressure and cholesterol meds… I get a little worried about all the meats and sodium content. He is super supportive of me and although eats more carbs (less than 80 a day now) he still eats what I cook and doesn’t complain about it. He is going to the doctor soon and going to get some blood work done so I will be curious to see what his results are.

(Sierra) #34

I am extremely determined to stick with this, which has made me proud of myself because I actually haven’t had any cravings for carbs. I have a ton of them in my house because my fiance and haven’t felt the need to eat them. That right there is an accomplishment for me. And the keto flu … there was one day that I felt like I was so light headed I was going to pass out but other than that I have been feeling so much better than I was. I have a magnesium powder supplement that I was going to start taking again and I may just got get some potassium supplement as well. I will work on not caring so much about the calories. Thank you for the response :slight_smile:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #35

@SLL_90

It is EXTREMELY important to eat enough sodium on the ketogenic diet. Keto is very diuretic and sodium will be flushed out constantly. It would be very difficult to eat too much salt. I was hypertensive as well when I started keto (I had high blood pressure), now I am not and take no medication.

You can NOT be on a ketogenic diet with a low sodium intake. Not possible.

Learn more about sodium and the ketogenic diet! I’ll go get a few links for you.

Also get the book " The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living " by Phinney and Volek

(Karen Fricke) #36

The meals you listed look like maybe not enough fat at lunch. I agree with the person who suggested eliminating the shake and eating real food with fat. I pack my lunch and usually have hard boiled eggs, cheese and/or summer sausage or left over meat from supper. More fat at lunch would help with hunger later.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #37

Here is Phinney and Volek’s blog:
http://www.artandscienceoflowcarb.com

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #38

Here’s another blog by Dr. Jason Fung
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com

Last post, May 2013. Hmmm…

(gooeykablooey) #40

I am a little curious about the low carb flat bread wrap? Is it homemade or store bought? A lot of the store bought low carb bread replacements, even though the nutrition info looks great, can be not great on keto. They’ll still have non keto ingredients like wheat germ or gluten, tapioca flour, even rice.
I hope you don’t feel like I’m being nit picky, I just really want you to succeed and I know from experience a lot of things marketed toward low carb dieters can mess with ketosis. Your days example actually looks really good for keto!

(eat more) #41

i was disappointed when looking for more of their work online and seeing only 2 posts on their blog from 2013…thought maybe there was a newer blog but haven’t found it