Hello, new here and new to the keto way of living and I have a few questions

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #42

DO they have a new one???
Still good info. Their books everyone refers to (The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living and The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance) were written in 2012 and 2013.)

(Guardian of the bacon) #43

This guy makes it sound easy…we about had to club him over the head in the beginning to be a believer…

(Lyn Simmons) #44

I know what you mean about not being good to your body. I have yo-yo dieted for years. I am a binge eater and a carb addict. I would go an entire day doing very good calorie wise on a diet (whatever the new diet of the year was, I had purchase every book written) and then at night I would use my calories for a little taste of something I craved and before I knew it I had eaten the entire thing of oreos then was on to a pizza and more. Then I would lie awake at night feeling guilty and tell myself “tomorrow you can do it, tomorrow you are going to exercise and diet right” and the cycle would start all over. As soon as I had anything carb or sugar in my mouth all bets were off and I couldn’t stop. Sometimes I would eat so much I would make myself throw up out of guilt as well. I’m embarrassed by it and ashamed and am sure I have screwed my metabolism up beyond belief.
Prior to starting keto I was feeling bloated all the time, I would have a small breakfast, maybe no lunch and a normal dinner. I haven’t been having any binges for a long time yet gained about 40 pounds in 7 months. Just from eating like a “normal” person. I would have to sleep in the chair at night because my food was just sitting there, the reflux was so bad I couldn’t take it, I couldn’t breathe and at times looked 9 months pregnant. My digestive system was messed up, no regularity (if you catch my drift). I saw my PCP and asked about gluten problems. Blood test was normal, nope you aren’t allergic to gluten they say. So I started just avoiding gluten first and noticed I could sleep lying down and wasn’t bloated. Then I thought, I need to lose this weight once and for all and previously the only diet that worked for me was Atkins because the others allowed me to have a taste of the things that set me off. I found ketogenic and bulletproof and started on that journey. I really have noticed a difference in my system. I’ve lost 20 pounds but look thinner that that. I am never bloated but am having a hard time figuring out when my fasting time should be. I think I can do this and love the before and after pictures on here. I want to post mine eventually and am thankful for all the support people give :slight_smile:

(Mike W.) #45

The struggle was real! Now I’m hoping people learn from my “mistakes”.

(Guardian of the bacon) #46

We all make mistakes that others can learn from.

(shawn) #47

It’s actually very dangerous to be low sodium and be on a ketogenic diet. I had borderline high blood pressure when I went keto. Now I use lots of salt. I even add it to my refillable water bottle with some powdered magnesium. And my blood pressure is normal. What I would recommend, since you’re not going to a doctor, is to get an inexpensive home blood pressure machine and monitor your blood pressure daily. Without enough salt, you will be dehydrated. If you’re dehydrated, your blood pressure will be higher.

(Sierra) #48

You guys really are great, thanks a ton for the links and suggestions, really really thank you. Im going to stop freaking out too much about everything. I have got a lot of reading to do tonight :slight_smile:

(Sierra) #49

They are store bought and do have some wheat ingredients. And nit picky is totally fine :slight_smile: I mainly bought them for my fiance because I figured the 4 net carbs would be better than the 44 he was eating with his sandwiches at lunch. I honestly just didnt feel like cooking last night… I had a long crappy day at work and that was an easy dinner. Im going do some reading on insulin tonight because I dont know much about it. Thanks a bunch!

(Kathy L) #50

And a great way I found to eat fat is having a few slices of cheese spread with butter. Sounded gross to me when I first heard about it -but I love it now. That and bacon ( cold, of course) would travel well & could be a handy snack(lunch) while at work. Welcome & good luck!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #51

PURSE BACON!!!

(Peter Bursky) #52

This was a great go to snack for me as well in the process of fat adapting, i always brought a few nice thick slices of cheddar with nice thick slice of kerrygold between 2 cheese slices. Chopped them to 1/2 inch slices, kept in a small box in a fridge, and every time i felt a craving, reached for a few of these. Loved the taste of cheddar with nice cold butter in between :grin:

I stopped bringing these any more, as i found myself not being hungry whem lunch time comes. Usually leave the lunch for later, not needing nay snacks after lunch, and than just have a lighter dinner, as even after arriving home, i’m not feeling too hungry.

(Sierra) #53

Lol, I really think I would gag trying to eat that. I have been trying to get more fat in by eating a whole avocado instead of half and trying to get myself to like bacon. I think the hardest part of this WOE is making myself eat more meat and fat, not giving up the carbs. I am trying to come up with vegan/vegetarian meals that I can make that will be high in protein and fat since I am not the biggest fan of meat. I can do chicken, and steak but not every day. Seafood however, I can eat that all day. I have been eating a lot more salmon lately, lol.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #54

OMG me too. I may break my 30 day steak challenge with snow crab legs. I have a … craving. Lol

(Sierra) #55

Snow crab sounds so good right now!

(Linda Culbreth) #56

try a slice of smoked gouda with ghee (I make it myself - 2 pounds butter in small crock pot, cook for about 5 hours, stain out the clear, through away the solis. I keep it in a quart size glass jar wiih lid on my cabinet.) yummmm

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #57

WHAT??!!!
I fuckingLOVE those solids!!!

MAIL THEM TO ME.
I’LL PAY

(Linda Culbreth) #58

It’s the allergy thing -you can have them…