Hello from Norwegian happy fat-man

conversationstarters
fasting

(Hallgeir Olsen) #1

Hello, my name is Hallgeir

I am a 51 year old man from Norway, a big fat guy (345 lbs when I started keto November 27 2017). I’m married and have three grown-up children. I live on the west coast of Norway.

About five years ago I lost 66lbs and were on a good roll (calorie restriction and lifting heavy weights), in recent years I have put 80lbs back on again. I fell on the ice and broke my back (in 4 places), could not move for 6 months. Blood pressure became dangerously high, and I am currently on medicine for hypertension.

I’ve tried to lose the weight many times after the fall, but this is my first time on keto.

After one month on keto I’ve lost 26 lbs and shrunk 23 inches (belly, hips, chest, neck, thigh and leg).

I have started experimenting with fasting, 24h and up to 44h fasts, no problems. Yesterday I started my first 58h fast.

I drop out of ketosis very easy, or so my ketostix tell me. A little too high protein intake and I’m out and it will take me 4-5 days to get back in again.

My dog, Lucas, helps me get out for walks. I’ve increased the length of our hikes quite a bit lately, to around 8 kilometers (remember, I’m a heavy guy so this is hard for me).

Listening to the podcast and reading this forum is a great source and help in my progress.

Just wanted to introduce myself :slight_smile:

(Dan Dan) #2

Hello :smiley:

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

(Marie Dantoni) #3

Welcome to our community.

(Karen) #4

Happy to have you here! Good luck on your journey and with your continuing recovery.

K

(KetoCowboy) #5

Welcome, congratulations, & good luck.

(Frank) #6

Hi Hallgeir,

Impressive loss, I would be very happy with that loss!

How do you find the Ketonix? I have been using one for the past 4 days plugging it into my laptop, I started out at 7.1 (Breath Keytones) on Monday and now it has shot up to 21. It has helped me by showing progress which gives me encouragement.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #7

Welcome!

You have made great progress so far, please share other victories with us as well!

(CharleyD) #8

Hi @Hallgeir_Olsen and welcome!

Have you been enjoying less back pain and inflammation doing the Keto Way of Eating?

(Hallgeir Olsen) #9

I don’t have a Ketonix, I use Keto sticks. My bad, english is not my first language and I wrote Ketostix. Sorry.

Keto sticks are vague and hard to read. So I’m not drawing any absolute conclusions from them.

Thanks for the reply.

br,
Hallgeir

(Hallgeir Olsen) #10

My back pain is not gone completely, but it has improved a lot. If that is because of the fasting or the general weight loss is hard to say, and to me it doesn’t matter as long as the pain goes away.

I haven’t done any test at my doctor after I startet “the Keto life” so I’m not sure about inflammation. But I feel a lot better!

Thanks for the feedback.

br,
Hallgeir

(Hallgeir Olsen) #11

I broke my first fast of the year yesterday 48h in. I got very dizzy and found that it was safest to eat something. I peed on a keto stick and it had no indication that I was in ketosis…

What I ate: Some rib-eye steak, some ground beef, some chorizo sausage, cheese and butter.
1448kcal, carbs: 0.41g, protein: 133g and fat: 101g.

This morning I checked my urine again, and it was dark purple -> Ketosis.

What is happening? 48h fasting = Not Ketosis but eating a protein heavy meal, getting some sleep and, boom, I’m in ketosis??

wtf? I don’t understand how this is happening.

But, no worries, I’ve decided to fast until friday night (another 48h fast) and I feel fine :slight_smile:

(Karen) #12

I’m told k-sticks indicate wasted ketones, and are not a good indicator that you are in ketosis. However if you are peeing ketones you must have plenty to waste.

Help me out here guys/gals. I’m newish. I love to see colours though. Psychological lift for me.

K

(CharleyD) #13

If you’d like to have another number to follow, ask for the hs-CRP, high sensitivity C-reactive protein, blood test.

I seem to have misplaced my crystal ball, plus I’m not a doctor, and it’s been a while since I’ve stayed at a Holiday Inn. My hunch is Karen is right. Around 2 months in, my ketostix were completely useless even testing at the same time of day, same fasted/fed level, etc. Sounds like a yummy feast/fast cycle you have there though.

(Frank) #14

No problem good luck with it!

(Darlene Horsley) #15

Hello and welcome aboard!!

As for feeling not well fasting, do you monitor your electrolytes such as sodium, magnesium and potassium while fasting?

(Hallgeir Olsen) #17

Yes, I eat a bit of salt (about 3g) every day, and take magnesium/potassium every day in addition to a general vitamin supplement.

I’ve just started extensive fasts and I think I have to ease into it, and I’m happy with 48h. Maybe I’ll go past the 50h mark next week.

Thanks for the comment.

(Bill Colohan) #18

Nice work. You are on your way.

I was in Bergen back in 1984. Beautiful country.

Keep up the good work. The fact that it is not difficult for you to fast will make it easy for you to keep losing the weight. I think you will find keto will be as easy as anything you have ever tried. It has been for me.

Good luck!

(Andrew) #19

Your liver can’t make ketones unless your fat cells release some. Have you checked your Blood Glucose (so we can guess at insulin)?

Having a fat steak gives the liver something to work with.

(Cheryl) #20

Great to meet you. The inflammation in my back from degenerative spine has gone down a lot. I don’t care if it is from weight loss or Keto woe eating. The relief is incredible. There are still a few bad days but no longer every day all day. Your English I’d great. Certainly better than my Norwegian😂