Haven't fallen off the low carb horse but have temporarily gone non-keto (eating small amounts of chickpeas). Before this, my blood sugars had suddenly gone WAY up

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #1

Hi. I’ve been low carb for 16 months and ketogenic most of that time. Over that time I lost just shy of 100 pounds and completely turned my self-perception of my health around. No longer drinking shittons of fruit juice like I was before January '18. 2019 04.14 I started self testing my glucose. Never were the figures too bad, until I ate rice porridge as a glucose tolerance test 04.22 (I got back on the horse the same day and my blood sugars were most of the way back to normal the next day). I went from 5.0 mM to 8.5 mM in the course of two hours (you can scroll to line 128 of https://umbrellix.net/~ellenor/glucolog.txt to see the precise pattern. I could probably convert that file to CSV for you if you want to Excel it). 05.16 (yesterday) was the day after I ate a bowl of pulled pork, no BBQ, beef tallow added. That day I started having mild hyperglycemia but disproportionate for what I was eating - 6.5 initially. Today it’s gone up into the high 6s and 7s mmol. It seems to improve but not resolve if I eat a metric fucktonne of fat. Should I present to the ER?

Fasting 5 days did not improve hyperglycemia. Also suspecting DM1

Have you ever had your insulin tested?

It would be really useful to see what your blood ketones are doing at the same time. A higher glucose level during a strict fast is consistent with increased bodyfat lipolysis due to reduced insulin. I wouldn’t stress too much at a max of 135 (this is the zone where some T2 patients live every day). There’s also something called adipose glycogen that can accumulate with metabolic dysfunction of the liver. A fast might be triggering the release of this into the bloodstream.

The garbanzo beans, salsa and mayo (added sugar?), sleep problems are all going to change the balance of insulin, glucose, and ketones. An insulinogenic food can cause a ketone crash and result in higher glucose readings.

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #3

I will do the 5 day fast if my blood glucose stays in hell. Haven’t yet. But if things improve after 5 days w/o food, I will call off the whole thing.

Should I do a waterfast or the whipping-cream diet (where I drink some whipping cream and that’s all I eat)?

I am not concerned about ketones per se, so I can’t say I’m truly on a ketogenic diet.

That would depend on what it takes to get you through it physically and mentally. If you must eat something make it as low in carbs and protein as possible. If you don’t have ~50 lbs of bodyfat available to draw on, in might be very difficult for you to sustain a water fast. Also, I’m assuming you are fat adapted and won’t go through a carb withdrawal phase.

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #5

Carb withdrawal, if any, should be limited to hypo symptoms if I get them.

I have a flabby belly from losing the 100 but I don’t think there is any triglyceride in there - I’m underfat as hell. Exogenous triglyceride is probably, then, the solution to getting me through my pseudofast.

I did notice that drinking whipping cream cut with water, cinnamon, sweetener and imitation maple extract was correlated with a -1 mM change in my blood sugar.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

It kind of sounds like you haven’t really ever stuck to a <20g. carbohydrate KETO Diet? Why not give that a go?

(Ethan) #7

None of the glucose readings are that high either. I am way confused. She complains about the hyperglycemia train when glucose is 117…

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #8

I’ve done that most of the last 16 mo. I’ve also done practically plant-free, which is my present strategy.

To Ethan’s point on 117 not being high… When the last time you ate any carbs was 3 hours ago and the last time you ate big carbs was more than two weeks ago (and I got back on the train after putting myself up to 8.5 w/ rice), 117 is indicative of an issue. I’ve had mid 7s mM today and yesterday too so it’s not like I’m not properly high.

I’m suspecting it’s related to the pulled pork tenderloin I had (all protein, nearly no fat, no carbs). I think I Shawn Baker’d myself.

Do not unhide the following text unless you like being cursed out. Don’t fucking tell me to do what I’ve been fucking doing for more than 14 of the last 16 fucking months.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

and

First I didn’t tell you what to do. My suggestion was based on these two quotes.

Wow, that’s pretty harsh. Just what’s your problem, it seems more than dietary. I think you need to include some civility in your interactions with other people. You asked for help.

cough Everyone play nice now… there is a filter between the fingers and the keyboard.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Right on, Carol.

@ellenor2000 You’ll have to give us some guidance as to exactly what you are after: advice, sympathy, or just space to bitch. Any of them is fine, we just need to know. A lot of us are accustomed to newbies arriving needing to be sorted out, and you appeared to be one of them. If you’re not interested in suggestions, we won’t give you any. I do have some insights to offer, but I am not interested in getting cursed out, so that’s that, then.

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #12

Right not I’m not after anything but a ban, Paul

but more seriously

having had time to ponder it, i think it’s stress? I’ve heard of a high-stress life being a risk factor for DM2 and I think there’s an axis between stress, cortisol and high blood sugars if the stress gets bad enough, even without eating carbage - they call it glucocorticoid for a reason

I know chickpeas are anti-ketogenic, I was thinking I would get a rebound overshoot or something if I had them. That didn’t arrive.

I’m also pretty sure I ate too much protein. That was my first thought when I asked myself “where the hell is the sugar coming from” after the pulled pork before I started confounding the whole shindig with chickpeas.

Does anyone think a few days of the whipping cream diet (a modified fast) is a good idea? Or am I going to screw something ELSE doing that?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

Ban? I can arrange that . . . :rofl:

I wouldn’t expect whipping cream to be a problem, since it’s mostly fat and some protein. If you’re comfortable with the experiment, give it a shot.

But “too much protein” isn’t supposed to cause glucose levels to rise. In a high-carb context, it should raise insulin without affecting glucagon, which would bring ketogenesis and gluconeogenesis in the liver to a complete halt. Your ammonia levels might rise, if the body has nothing to do with the amino acids and so decides to de-aminate them, but I wouldn’t expect glucose to rise.

In a low-carbohydrate context, all excessive protein should do is to raise glucagon along with insulin, thus keeping the insulin/glucagon ratio at the same low level, thus allowing ketogenesis and gluconeogenesis to proceed. But gluconeogenesis has been shown to be driven by demand, not supply, so again I would not expect a glucose rise.

It could be the carbohydrate in the chickpeas, though, couldn’t it? And what was in that pulled-pork recipe? My nephew’s recipe is far too sugary to be ketogenic; my sister has to make some for us with artificial sweetener, or we can’t eat it. And artificial sweeteners are problematic for a lot of people. The FDA claims they don’t raise serum glucose (all artificial sweeteners are by U.S. law supposed to be safe for diabetics), but the possibility of an idiosyncratic reaction can’t be ruled out. Also, a lot of people report insulin spikes from one or more of such sweeteners, so why not glucose in someone?

Did you already tell us what your HbA1C level is? I’m not spotting it, if you did. If that’s normal, then I believe a higher serum glucose is not anything to worry about.

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #14

I did not have the chickpeas before I got on this rollercoaster, as far as I know. I had the pulled pork with beef fat. No bbq sauce, no sweeteners, no sugar, nothing. Just pulled pork (by which I mean slow-roasted pork tenderloin that I forgot in the oven overnight due to sleep deprivation and came back to and found that it pulled fine despite having a deep brown crust), beef fat, and pork leberwurst (pâté) which has maybe 2g of sugar in the serving size I like to have it in.

HOWEVER! The last few days I had run out of erythritol/stevia mix. I know that Splenda is bulked out with maltodextrin from corn - i.e. chains of goddamn glucose. I wasn’t having a crazy quantity of it, and I WOULD expect a glucose rise from that. I was having my hot chocolate sweetened with Splenda original rather than my preferred erythritol/stevia mixture. That’d raise blood glucose.

The last few weeks I have been stressed (I don’t have a full month’s rent in the bank because of some irresponsible decisions. don’t worry, barring a government shutdown which I don’t think happens in BC it should work out fine) so I think hypercortisolism is a thing, and I know overdoses of steroidal anti-inflammatories can cause diabetes.

I don’t know my glycated hemoglobin level. They don’t test that in nondiabetics here in Canada.

To me, serum glucose is the co-big Kahuna with insulin and IGR. Insulin causes its own problems and is linked to the whole heart disease situation, but serum glucose is serum glucose, more important by a notch than the other two big Kahunas. If mine is normal, I don’t need to drink nearly as much water. I do if it’s high.

Who the fuck do you think you are? Fuck right off.

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #16

and that’s why I told you not to unhide it if you didn’t like being cursed out.

Just 24 hrs of various permutations of whipping cream (I’m calling it the ‘whipping cream cleanse’ because if you feed whipping cream as a long term diet that’s kinda unintelligent) seems to have normalised things enough. I’ve not published the results on the glucolog.txt file yet because #### going to my computer every time I get a glucose read and typing it in. I’ll go type it in now.

also why isn’t there like an autocensor? why did petamarie have to go in and edit the thing i sent

We do have a banned words list, but most common swear words aren’t included. We like to give people the freedom to throw in an occasional swear word if desired. It is not intended to hide abusive, aggressive, inflammatory language directed at another forum member. I let it slide with a subtle warning yesterday hoping that would be the end of it, but of course it wasn’t.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #18

I blurred the one word because if it got flagged for language by another community member your entire post would be hidden. Now that won’t happen.

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #19

i ask not why you did it but why you /needed/ to do it (why wouldn’t such a modification have been done by an autocensor). the two are different questions. regardless at this point if i keep posting I’m wasting your time so I’m just going to stop posting like, forever, maybe comment with “so this is what happened to me, you probably differ”

also, it very much looks like i need to lurk more because I’ve clearly caused a problem

I thought I adequately answered the autocensor question already. I believe @PetaMarie was adding to that reply.

Look, we are all about trying to help people here.