Has keto changed your fashion sense?

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #81

Apparently bike shorts are all the rage this year, worn with a blazer. Even on the beautiful people, I think they are out of their ever-loving minds.

But with a t-shirt doing chores, absolutely.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #82

Leave it to Kim K to wear bike shorts and high heels. :joy::joy:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #83

I follow a couple sensible fashion people on YouTube. They’ve mentioned the trend but always with a “if you like it, then, well, you do you.”

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #84

No to all 3 of those outfits :confounded:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #85

I agree that ALL of fashion is a “you do you” situation. My critique is my very personal opinion, that’s all.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #86

I agree, mostly. It is a very personal decision, but one made in public and I think that, within your own taste, it is wise to think of others and what your clothes communicate to them.

My sense of the attitude of the fashion people I follow regarding bike shorts was more of a, “it’s your decision but not a good one.” There was also quite a bit of, “Not gone yet? Huh.” I agree with that.

MY OPINION is that if how you dress says “I’m infatuated with my body, but I don’t have a lot of respect for it,” then don’t be surprised if other people react the same way. This does not mean, however, that those other people are not responsible for themselves and their own actions.

My dress has gotten more modest as I’ve gotten older, not because I don’t have anything to flaunt anymore, but because I now place a higher value on what I got. I used to think it didn’t matter because there wasn’t anything to see. I still love my tank tops (sub-tropical life,) but now I check armpits and what happens when I bend over before I wear them outside. As a courtesy. And it’s not a matter of how much is covered as much as where attention is drawn. Thigh-high boots with shorts covers a lot more than the same shorts with sandals. Context also matters. A perfectly appropriate swimsuit is no longer appropriate at work. Unless you are a lifeguard.

* Ruina jumps off her soapbox and safely stows it for another day. *

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #87

I hear you, Ruina. I have been a modest dresser because I observed the looks certain body parts garner when I expose them and that makes me uncomfortable. Mostly, though, I just like that clothing can offer different shapes and movement on a body. It’s decoration. The thing I don’t like about the above Kim K clothing isn’t so much that it’s tight or showing off her shape, it’s the boring color and lack of imagination. I appreciate when folks get creative and thoughtful with their outfits because, to me, it can be like a daily art project. It adds variety to a standard form.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #88

Speaking of which! A friend of mine told me that she would buy me a new dress when I got to my goal weight. 3 years ago? 4? I didn’t make it that time. Or the time after. I didn’t tell her I had finally succeeded because she said it so long ago, and we haven’t seen each other in a long time. Well, she heard it through the grapevine and sent me a message reminding me. We also went to the Phillipines together and she reminded me again. One thing and another we finally went shopping the other day!

We ended up getting a top instead of a dress because it will get worn more often that way. I love the modern take on traditional Chinese style.

I need to up my selfie skills, but there ya go. Maybe Kim can help me with that.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #89

I love the colors and that collar is great. Is that a cloth button?? So cute. I especially love your open, smiling face, Ruina. :smile:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #90

I do have resting Russian face.

(Jody) #91

As a pear, curvy shape, jeans were already a battle. This has become a war trying to find jeans that fit. I don’t want to spend a lot of money and spend money to get them tailored, which I always have to do…and they only fit for a month. My current jeans I bought 2 weeks ago are getting loose. I know I’m whining. Lol

I hate how I feel in baggy clothes, do not wish to invest yet either

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #92

Yeah, jeans are a challenge while you are losing. Maybe denim skirts for casual wear? Skirts tend to have a longer life, size-wise. Or a linen drawstring pant?

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #93

I have really had some luck with stretchy jeans (not pajama jeans, Carl). I’ve been able to wear the same pair for three months and I’ve been decreasing in inches. I might need more washings in between wears to tighten them up a bit, but it’s better than having to alter them.

(Jennibc) #94

I hope shoulder pads are making a comeback! Someone gave me this 1980s cocktail dress (size 14) back in late summer of '95 after she’d taken off some weight and I was rapidly gaining and needed new clothing. It was too snug at the time for me to feel comfortable wearing it. I held on to it. It finally fits well enough that I have some room in it.

The romper I haven’t been able to wear since early summer of '95 and it’s now wearable again. I got it in '94 when I was about 10 pounds less than I am now. But I think I can wear it again.

On the one hand I cannot believe I have been dragging clothing around for the past quarter of century hoping that someday I would get into it, but you know, I am sure glad I did! Because it’s more rewarding than going out and buying new clothes! (and much less expensive!)

(Jody) #95

I noticed the stretchier and tighter they seem to last longer LOL

(Jennibc) #96

I bought some jeans this past fall that I now look a bit dumpy in because of the way that they are loose. Luckily we are heading into HOT weather here so I won’t need to wear any until the fall. I feel like I am done buying clothing until I hit my goal weight because getting just one season out of clothes is annoying. I mean, great that I am still losing inches, but hard to spend money on stuff when you only get to wear them for three or four months before they become unflattering.

(Jody) #97

Nothing worse than droopy drawers.

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #98

Those look great on you!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #99

I agree, enjoy wearing them!

(Jennibc) #100

Thanks! I am not even that bothered by my somewhat pachyderm-ish arms – I am willing to go bare armed. I have come a long way since I was in my 20s and even though I was slim, I wouldn’t wear sleeveless dresses because I felt my arms were ‘fat.’ It’s amazing how once we get older, we are more forgiving ourselves.