HAD to join cause binge listening to the podcast has been very very helpful!

newbies

(Ril) #1

New to here, not to keto… 42 yr old female, Canadian.

Fair warning I have adhd and I am dyslexic.My spelling can be terrible at times. I try my best. I’m not uneducated, i DO know how to spell :slight_smile: I just have a bad connection between the eyes and the brain for catching my mistakes, and then my short attention span kicks in and misses the typos to get the darn post actually posted.

An intro of sorts of my journey thus far…

March 2013 at 39 years old, Went LCHF when I was Dxed T2D. I was floored…had been being screen for 6 years prior due to family prevalence and was eating the “healthy whole grain, low fat, minimal sugar” diet, exercising my butt off and never losing a pound.

After a few weeks LCHF, discovered a wheat allergy on first cheat day. Major asthma attack and breathing issues, instantly nasal congested from histamines reactions, and joint pain all over, so bad I could not get out of bed for 3 days!

I never knew that not everybody gets a stuffy nose and has a hard time breathing when they eat! I have been allergic and ate bread all my life every day! ugg

Went totally grain free, went off arthritis pills, lost 27lbs & reversed T2D to “slightly prediabetic” in 18
months and went off metformin. I floored my Dr who was 100% against LCHF & tried to push statins at the get go of T2D for precautions even though cholesterol were in normal perimeters. ( took me 20 minutes arguing with her to have her not write the script!) when my blood work came back or my 3rd A1C’s she thought it was a mistake and made me do them again. HDL up, LDL in high but normal range, A1C were “phenomenal” Told her how I did it, she went the “I won’t ask again, and you don’t need to tell me, so long as your numbers look good like this” Head in the sand route.

Currently down 53lb in the 4 years.

Upped veg intake on LCHF more after grains gone. Had cauliflower everything! Weight loss stalled and came in small fits. Asthma got worse,joint pain coming back…hmmmm allergies? Same with peppers, and tomatoes…hmm, naa can’t be! who is allergic to vegetables!? I must be losing my mind and thinking everything bothers me now!

Start cutting out many veggies to self test and fell into keto naturally. Discovered what Keto was when I googled “why does my sweat smell like cat pee” in early 2015, went with keto for as long as it lasted without seeking to stay in keto as I self tested potentil veg that bugged me.

As a result stalled for most of 2015. Got frustrated, decided to get Keto serious in early 2016. But, noticed everytime I ate certain vegetables I’d fall out of keto even being strict on macros. if I cut out the suspect veg, Slow small minimal fat loss would happen. Finally decided to get proper tested on allergies. MANY Vegetable food allergies uncovered in December 2016. Nightshades, Cabbage family foods, ragweed related foods, mushrooms, many tree allergies making nuts, berries and many carbs a no no for me. I’m ACTUALLY allergic to carbohydrates! I stopped eating them all that day and 11 pounds fell off me with ease, and Asthma 80% gone!

2017, Now full keto for 6ish weeks. Minimal veg due to all the allergies are leading me towards
Zero Carbs many days naturally, but with a modification to typical ZC I see online, as I eat mostly eggs and fish and smaller amounts of beef/chicken/pork to lower fii protein intake, as too much protein since fully keto in 2017 also seems to pump up my insulin. and I get an almost carb crash sluggish after I eat high fii proteins, where I cannot keep my eyes open and need to nap fr an hour ( more like pass out for an hour)

I can only eat spinach, lettuce, strawberries, water chestnuts and green beans due to allergies, and 4 out of 7 days I intake zero on purpose carbs anyway.

As I said in title… I am binge listening to the 2 keto Dudes Podcast and I LOVE it! THANKYOU!

I have found answers to so many things that had me perplexed in the last month with how my body was reacting to proteins…on the podcast I discovered there is a Food Insulin Index!!! My body already knew that and was pushing me away from high fii proteins! Amazing!

And now, I just totally geeked out over the protein controversy episode and all that bio chemistry Richard walked through! Just the ep I needed to hear! I took notes and listened to it 5 times today! no joke.

in two weeks of 2 keto dudes podcasts I figured out more than anyone else could tell me in 2 years about what is going on with my messed up metabolism!

for months I’ve been concerned about how much protein I ABSOLUTELY should get, as I have a hard time even consuming 54g a day and everyone had a different answer. Everyone else was wrong and I NEEDED to listen to them. UGG

2 Keto Dudes totally broke it down and showed me it is fine to go with my body’s signals on protein intake based on Fung’s protein theory and findings with his patients, and then they showed me the science as to why that is the case!

So, Science, FTW!

I’m really glad to be here.

Ril

Arthritis?
(carl) #2

Wow! Great story! We’re glad you’re here!

(Richard Morris) #3

:smiley:

(Keto in Katy) #4

Wonderful story, happy for you. I too have learned much from the 2KD podcasts.

I hope that things like this would encourage docs to rethink what they have been taught and start looking at what is happening right in front of their eyes.

(Michelle) #5

Welcome to a wonderful group of people!!! I’ve learned so much here as well as all the podcasts (I binged as well on them).

Thanks for sharing your journey.

mk

(Ashley Haddock) #6

Welcome! It’s so awesome that you have learned so much about your body and what works for you (and maybe more importantly, what doesn’t).

I’ve been LC/keto for about 14 months but just found the podcast about a month ago. I’ve been binge listening ever since and sharing them with anyone who will listen. @carl and @richard do such a great job at informing and keeping it entertaining. I love learning more and more about the science behind everything!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #7

[quote=“ALifeUngrained, post:1, topic:7282”]
Discovered what Keto was when I googled “why does my sweat smell like cat pee”
[/quote] :laughing:
This is golden. You are amazing.
Glad you found keto!

We are lucky to have you. x

(Ril) #9

I had hoped that too, but not the case with her. She over the last 4 years has tried to convince me to eat oatmeal at every appointment if I won’t take statins cause my LDL is still sitting in the high normal range. To which i say "But it is IN the NORMAL range…if that’s a problem, why do you have a “normal” range in the first place. than I just remind her I’m allergic to Oatmeal. If i told her I ate 3 to 5 eggs a day she’d probably have a stroke!

(Ril) #10

hehe, thanks Brenda. it was a funny day cause i dipped into ketosis naturally without trying and was doing heavy housework for hours and my husband kept telling me the cat peed somewhere and I needed to find it. then he realized it was me. LOL

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #11

OMG @ALifeUngrained

SO funny. You poor thing. Lolol.
Well, at least in the keto community you’ll be perfectly accepted if you smell like cat pee. LMAO

(Ril) #12

it can’t bother him too much, he still gets frisky on a daily basis and the off gassing acetone doesn’t seem to bother him too much then :wink: But i do try and keep a top of it with a quick sponge wash before bed :slight_smile: it doesn’t bother ME at all

Nice story!

(David) #14

You should see the look of shock I got sitting down with three boiled eggs and some scrambled for breakfast one morning. I was asked if I knew about the two egg rule.

(Marc) #15

Each morning at the retirement community, the healthy 88-year-old man received a delivery of 25 soft-boiled eggs, which he would consume during his day. This had been his way for many years. He’d had one experience of chest pain that might have been angina, but aside from that, he had a healthy cardiovascular system. He recognized that his only problem was psychological: “Eating these eggs ruins my life, but I can’t help it.”

(Ann) #16

Wow, you have been through a lot! Your story shows you are dedicated to finding what works for you. Keep up the good work.

(Vanessa VE) #17

Hi!
I’m dealing with a lot of food allergies too. Any recommendation on how to test for them? I was thinking of doing an elimination diet but it’s hard going knowing what causes a reaction and what does…I guess I’m not patient enough to wait and re-introduce food one by one. For sure dairy and nuts are an issue with almost instant reaction.
The vegs you listed are all high in histamine btw and can trigger allergic reactions.

Kind regards
Ness

(Ril) #18

i got tired of doing elimination tests myself, so i finally went and got allergy testing done ( skin prick tests) to know for sure what caused issues, and now I am looking at foods that are related to my many tree, all grasses and ragweed allergies. I definitely have cross reaction issues with foods base on those allergies. So i have started by eliminating ALL of those potential cross reaction foods, and then I pick on and eat it one day and note any immediate reactions, check my blood glucose, and also note if I have a inflammation weight gain ( I weight myself daily to note the trends) if I get inflammation from a food I immediately gain 4 pounds of “water weight” from inflammation. If a food gives me joint pain, I don’t eat it anymore.

Since it has been 2 months since I cut out all those foods, a reaction is stronger when I eat something that bothers me. I give my body 4 to 6 days rest after I get a reaction to a food. so I am only testing potential allergins on my crosss reaction lists about once a week.

it is time consuming and everytime I get a reaction to a food I get bumped out of ketosis, which means I’m stalled in fat loss again with all my insulin resistance, so it can be frustrating, but for me it is worth it. I like not having the severe joint pain all day everyday from eating foods my body can’t handle.

:slight_smile:

(The Bacon Pirate) #19

I’m a fellow Binger, you’re not alone! Your story made me think that maybe the veggies I eat are also slowing down my process. Thanks for sharing your story and welcome!

(Cindy) #20

I’m new to this WOE, my adult kids and spouses started Jan this year and keto is all they talked about so I was told about 2KD, after listening to the first podcast I was hooked I learned so much Binge listen for the next two weeks started Feb 21st, down 17 pounds but the nsv’s are just so amazing 60 points off of blood sugars, BP is normal I’ve got pretty severe arthritis and my joints have just been feeling better, have had an issue with gout but got that under control. I’m just excited about what the future holds. Got a long way to go but you gotta take one step at a time to get there. My goal is in one year I want to be 100 pounds less. For the first time in all my many years of dieting I feel like I can make it. I love the support of the groups that I’m on Facebook with and excited about this forum.