Hacking Cholesterol experiment

cholesterol

(Justin Hayes) #21

@SigiC:

As you can see, I only got close to 5,000 cals one day, and not all that close. My take is that anything that is substantially more fat than normal is probably sufficient if this works the way @DaveKeto thinks. He seems to imply that its the abundance of fat in the diet (consistently for a few days) that switches the cholesterol process. Now, how much abundance is required? I’d say that would require a good bit of testing (lots and lots of n=1?!). That said, if you’re getting >300g of fat, i’d bet (hypothesize) that’s sufficient - but we don’t really know how much is enough to trigger it - and i’m assuming that in my case, the same result was triggered… Come on results…

(Dave) #22

Yes – I’m in agreement with much of the above…

Most likely, increasing fat alone for the High Days will achieve the same goal. I just have to caveat the “most likely” due to not having specific testing with fat only. But to be sure, on my very own experiment, my keto ratio wasn’t perfectly aligned on the High Days and I too had a higher amount proportionally than I did the Low Days. (I’d look it up, but I’m away from my computer)

(Justin Hayes) #23

Ugh. Waiting is now the biggest annoyance. I thought eating all that food was unbearable, but really, waiting to confirm the impact is worse!

Hopefully this doesn’t jinx the results, but i went ahead and built a quick image to use based on your infographic, just as supplemental. Can’t wait to add the real data - but while i wait, here is the draft layout. I’ll remove this and replace with real data as soon as i get the call from the doc!

(Dave) #24

Very nice, Justin – that’s some good Infographic game you got there.

And YES – waiting on the test results is almost as hard as the process itself. It’s this strange limbo where you find yourself wanting to fly to the where the lab is at and break in to preview your results!

How long does it take to get these results? I’m checking in daily to see what your numbers are, thanks for volunteering as tribute for this n=1 experiment. Love the info graphic and will be a very user friendly way to interpret your changes when you get the actual numbers. My husband is on his way to a yearly physical and we are on day 5 of an extended fast. I advised him not to get his blood work today as surely his lipid panel will go the exact opposite of yours from mobilizing fat for energy. Good luck and know many others are anxiously awaiting the outcome of your experiment!

(Justin Hayes) #26

UGH! So called the doctor, and apparently the labs go to Cali - so they don’t have the results yet. Hopefully tomorrow!

(Justin Hayes) #27

So, got a phone call, didn’t get exact numbers for everything, but i’ll get them. However i did get some of the numbers (apparently office is crazy).

Total Cholesterol 273 (-29) – not as much as i expected/hoped
Trigs 114 (-95)

And mentioned particle sizes all improved / improving. Will need to go get the details to know how much! More details when we get done!

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #28

I know it’s not the object of the exercise, but what is the normal effect of this protocol on weight?

(Justin Hayes) #29

I did put on 2 pounds during.

(Justin Hayes) #30

Ok. Results in. I didn’t get nearly as significant a drop as the others - but i talked with the doc and we’re going to track quarterly while i lose some weight and see if i can keep the direction going.

New, (Old)
Total Cholesterol: 273, (302)
HDL: 46, (44)
Trig: 114, (209)
LDL-C: 204, (216)
LDL Particle: 2507, (2789)
LDL Small: 726, (740)
LDL Med: 584, (437)
HDL Large: 5111, (5543)

Apo-B: 144, (163)
HA1C - 5.0, (5.1)

(Justin Hayes) #31

So here are the results from my experiment in graphical form. Me results weren’t nearly as dramatic as i had hoped - so not sure how to interpret that. Also, worth noting that the preliminary tests were from a year prior - rather than immediately before - so its “possible” that my cholesterol immediately before was dramatically worse than a year before (i hope not!).

Regardless, I had my doc order me a CAC and we’re also going to track the cholesterol every quarter to see if i can keep things moving in the right direction. It might help if i dropped maybe 20 lbs too, so i guess thats the next real step!

Yes, it’s very possible your LDL was higher before the test than last year if you weren’t keto then. There’s a huge drop in triglycerides, so that’s great either way! :slight_smile:

(Sigi Caron) #33

Got results back yesterday. LDL went down 83 points! HDL pretty much the same (106). Triglycerides after fasting were up to 119. After this overfeeding they were down to 47. The overfeeding protocol was absolutely gross. I don’t think I hit 5000 calories all 3 days, but I ate until I felt like I would throw-up if I took another bite. :slight_smile: Very interesting experiment, and will repeat this year when I have bloodwork to increase my life insurance.

(Jacquie) #34

@SigiC I’m about the same size as you and am probably a hyper-responder as @DaveKeto defines it. I’ve been lc since the mid-90’s, paleo, primal and keto for the last 2.5 years. My lipid panel from 2015 - Cholesterol 9.17 mmol/L, HDL 3.49 mmol/L, LDL 5.22 mmol/L, Trigs 1.02mmol/L. My ratios are good. My 23andMe results show I’m ApoE 3/3. I can’t get particle testing where I live in Canada. I’m hoping to follow Dave’s protocol before my next lipid panel in the spring, so I’m curious to know how much of the 5000 calories you were able to consume. I think I see a lot of macadamia nuts in my future. :slight_smile:

(Todd Allen) #35

Interesting French documentary on cholesterol w/ Nina Teicholz, Gary Taubes and other voices of sanity along with some amazing old commercials and other bits of historical footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhIcn3ByQ18

(Sigi Caron) #36

no idea because I’ve never been a calorie counter, but I’m guessing around 4000 cals. I relied heavily on the primal kitchen mayo. 1 jar per day slathered on meat, eggs, fish. So I knew at a minimum I’d get 220 cals in of avocado fat…

(Sigi Caron) #37

2200 calories.

(Jacquie) #38

@SigiC I can’t ‘like’ your post as I ran out of likes for today. :slight_smile:
Thanks! I don’t count calories either, so I’ll just lots of macadamias. I don’t think it will be too painful.

(Sigi Caron) #39

Let me know how it goes. :slight_smile:

Hey @DaveKeto, and everyone who has done this, one small question. I am planning to follow your cholesterol hacking protocol. For what I saw in your videos you should do three days of restricted calorie keto, followed by three days of 5000 calorie keto (or as close as you can get). My question is the following, would this still work if I changed the three calorie restricted days for three fasting days? I could just experiment to see, but because I am doing it for a doctor control, I would rather know beforehand. And would it be enough data for you if I tested after the fast and then after the feast, and not before the fast too, because money and the like :grin: