Greek Yogurt... do or don't?

(John) #61

That’s what I eat. Though I don’t shovel it. Modest quantities, along with berries and nuts, is my preferred way to eat it. Either as a side dish for breakfast, or the entire breakfast.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #62

I don’t shovel it either. It’s so thick I usually stick some to the back of a spoon and lick it off. It’s like what having ice cream used to be like. I tried to overeat it once and it just didn’t work. The stuff is so filling so I actually stick to the serving size, or less, which is a victory for me. I like mine with cinnamon.

I like the Cabot full fat Greek. It’s really thick. Especially since I’ve been eating only animal products lately it’s become my “treat” and I figure I’m close enough to ZC on everything else that the yogurt shouldn’t be a problem.

(John) #64

What a great idea! Cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice - any of those or in any combination, can turn lots of things into a special treat or even dessert.

And since it is such a neutral flavor, I bet savory seasonings would work with it. This is giving me some good ideas. Thanks, PM. :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to start seeing this in the store.

(Allie) #66

I do this too and it’s always fine for me :joy:

Those times when I think to myself, I’ll just eat half today and half tomorrow… :slight_smile:

(Alec) #67

This is why we don’t shop in the middle aisles of the grocery store!

(traci simpson) #68

I think target has it

I like Siggi’s Icelandic style (skyr), full fat and unsweetened, every once in a while. Skyr > Greek imo lol

(Jay Patten) #70

Lol, I feel the same way. I’m not great as sticking to unrealistically small serving sizes.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #71

I’ve evolved my thinking since finding 5% Fage. It’s so filling and 7 g per cup I’m okay with that. I don’t get it every week but it’s a treat when I do!

Thank you. I will check the Target in my neighborhood.

@NinMD you can do a search here.

https://www.yqbyyoplait.com/find-us/

Thank you! It looks like my favorite neighborhood grocery store should have it. :smiley:

I use Labne (kefir cheese) as a substitute for yogurt. It’s wonderful, only 1 carb per 2 Tbl, and has live pro biotics cultures.

For a dessert, I mix in 1 Tbl of sour cream and add a splash of almond milk and beat it to a creamy consistency. It’s a great base for mixing in things like coco nibs coco powder or dark chocolate shavings, cinnamon or honest syrup and such. You can find it in Middle Eastern or specialty stores or Whole Foods. I like it better than yogurt now.

I actually just use the store brand, Whole Greek Yogurt. Haven’t had any in months, but just picked up one today. Shows 7g carbs, with 1 Fiber, for 3/4 cup. But I only usually do a half cup at a time, so don’t think too much on it really. Does show 0g Added Sugars though.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #77

The serving sizes are only that small so that they can list 0 g of sugar per serving.

(Brian) #78

I use the 5% Fage plain Greek yogurt.

According to the label, a serving size is 1 cup. That’s a pretty generous serving, I think, and I don’t generally eat past that much and often don’t quite get that much. But for the sake of numbers, I’ll use 1 cup as the serving size.

Total carbs is 7g. Significant? Perhaps, but I would consider it more “noteworthy”. That also assumes that the sugars aren’t being digested by the fermentation process. According to the discussion, they may be, in which case, it’s less carbs than stated. Less is good. I’m gonna say that it won’t be more.

Total fat is 11g. Not all that high, even though it is full fat, but not something I would pass on because it’s “low fat”. I’m definitely getting extra fat from my coffee. :wink:

Protein is 20g. Hey, that’s about as much protein as you’d find in 3 large to extra large eggs! Seriously, that’s a good amount of protein there and it’s one of the reasons I like it. I find that protein is very satiating to me.

It’s definitely not zero carb. But it’s something that I think can fit in to a keto diet quite well when used sensibly.

Just my take. :slight_smile:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #79

It’s interesting, I also eat the 5% plain Fage yogurt and it’s the only time I can stand stevia. I have Sweetleaf toffee flavored stevia drops which I can’t use because of the terrible aftertaste but if I put it in this yogurt it tamps down the sour flavor and uplifts the sweet of the stevia without the metallic aftertaste. I’m kind of getting sick of yogurt so I’m taking a week off but for those who have stevia sitting around like I did, something to try.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #80

I love yogurt, but too many carbs for me.