Greek Yogurt... do or don't?

(Heather Meyer) #1

Trying to figure out whether Plain Greek Full-Fat yogurt is okay on Keto? If so… how many net carbs in a cup?

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

I stood in the yogurt isle one Saturday and looked at the back of all of the labels. Even the full fat, no sugar added, plain yogurt had more carbs than I was willing to eat for the tiny 1/3 cup amount, because if it’s not a bowl of yogurt, it’s not worth it…for me.

(Allie) #3

It’s fine for me but I know others have problems with it. Recently I’ve been making my own Bulgarian yoghurt as an alternative as it’s apparently lower in carbs.

I think it is fine if you want to do it. You just have to go by the label on carbs. Different brands are different. Try for as full fat as possible. I am not doing yogurt of cottage cheese for now but I have in the past and as long as I measure and record it is OK

(Laura) #5

You know how we have been told to substitute plain yogurt for sour cream on the low fat diets? Well, I now do the opposite and treat sour cream like plain yogurt.

It is really good with berries added or some unsweetened cocoa and a squirt of liquid splenda. I have not tried adding other stuff, but it tastes just the same and is very low carb.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #6

I eat a cup of Fage 5% milkfat every few days. 7 grams of carbs.

(John) #7

I eat this stuff regularly:

https://usa.fage/products/yogurt/fage-total-5

I do not eat a large amount at one time - maybe 1/2 cup. Usually with some berries and/or nuts, either as a full breakfast or as part of a breakfast that includes eggs/omelet and/or bacon/other meat.

1 to 4 times a week

(Allie) #8

I used some of this to culture a batch of my own yoghurt and drained it a couple of times to remove most of the lactose. It ended up as a really thick yoghurt like cream cheese consistency, it was lovely.

(Heather Meyer) #9

Hmm… ours out here goes by 3/4 cup serving…

(Heather Meyer) #10

see and whats sad is the the highest fat plain yogurt here has LESS carbs than our brands of Sour Cream. Isnt that crazy? Or else i would totally jump on that board!

The one I eat is about 5% carbs. I have a few spoonfuls once every few days mixed with berries, pecans, coconut flakes, chia seeds and sunflower seeds. My go to dessert.

(Heather Meyer) #12

sounds like heaven

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #13

I use yoghurt in marinades for chicken.

(Heather Meyer) #14

mmm that sounds good! got any recipes?

(Laurie) #15

I don’t. I’ve read and heard that yogurt actually has fewer carbs than what the label says, because the bacteria have eaten some of the carbs. However, my body knows when it’s had too many carbs, and yogurt has too many for me. I prefer to use sour cream.

You could try making yogurt with whipping cream. . . . I’ve done it, and it was wonderful, but I’m too lazy now.

TL; DR - Go for it it’s all OK. Greek yogurt with normal milk has a special keto pass.

At first glance it may seem out of bounds but according Phinney and Volek it’s ok.

“Although the total carbohydrates in yogurt may seem on the high side, in naturally fermented yogurt (the stuff that doesn’t contain gelatin), much of this ‘carbohydrate’ was lactose that has since been converted to lactic acid. This is what makes it taste sour and causes the protein to curdle (i.e., how yogurt changes from a liquid milk to a solid). Eating lactate as opposed to lactose does not raise insulin or interfere with ketosis. Thus a half cup of naturally fermented yogurt counts as about 5 grams of carbs. Avoid fat-free, low-fat, or reduced-fat cheeses and yogurts. Cottage and ricotta (non-fermented) cheeses should be used sparingly.”

Excerpt from “The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance” Stephen Phinney, Jeff Volek

I’ve also read similar things from Robert Lustig … the sugar is converted and hence doesn’t cause an insulin hit.

I ate a pile of Greek Yogurt and took measurements with a blood analyser - all good - still in keto.

(Janelle) #17

I’ve made yogurt in my Instant Pot twice now with whole milk. I strained it for days with cheesecloth and got cups of whey out of it. It was so thick and lovely - like we ate in Greece. I used a small container for Fage as starter (@Shortstuff not tart at all - we discussed this once). I’m reluctant to add too much of it in to my diet though. I don’t think it stalls me but I think I’ll wait until I’ve lost more. It’s like a question mark for how many carbs it really has.

(Allie) #18

The Fage as a starter is amazing, makes yoghurt like cream cheese (once strained).

(Omar) #19

my life is worthless without yoghurt

2 cups a day should be fine to stay in ketosis

(Janelle) #20

It’s just that it’s different here. Hard to even find full fat, plain yogurt at a store. Americans love to junk everything up - look at this photo I took. It’s apalling.