Glucose still high on EF

(Linda Culbreth) #1

Carol - maybe you can answer my question. I have been eating vlghf since January. I am overweight female, 66, and T2D. Could not get my fbg done below 170-193 even on vlchf. Went through several meds - did no better, some even spiked it up to 293. Couldn’t take metformin (migraines), glipizide (I have too much insulin - why make my body produce more?) , Januvia (also raise insulin, but also gave me incessant bone pain even 6-7 weeks post dc), or bydureon (I can’t convince the docs and medical professions that I can’t understand why they give me meds that raise the insulin production when I have probably 10 times the insulin of a non T2D. Plus, the side effects are really serious.).

I really don’t want to take any meds. (My goal, not my medical professional.) There, that is the background. Now for the question… I am on day 15 of an extended fast - extra pink salt, bone broth added in 1 small dollop of bacon grease in broth because I am on a really strong antibiotic due to a super bug in eyes, sinuses, and upper respiratory and need something in my stomach before I take it.

My morning blood glucose level this morning was 106. I am registering high ketones in urine and breath…(Can’t afford the blood ketone strips…) When I checked my glucose levels about 1 this afternoon, it was 132. This is similar to the results since I have been fasting - it bounces up during the day, then goes back down - last night it was 100 after bouncing up to 149 at 12:34 and 105 yesterday morning. It was doing this before I added in the bacon grease before I started on the antibiotics.

Carol, what is going on?

I am certain I am not fat adapted - lack of energy.

Elevated Fasting Blood Glucose

Are the higher readings related to the bone broth? How much are you drinking? Is it homemade? There can be protein in broth, which may be giving you a reaction.

Otherwise, it sounds like you are headed in the right direction except for being tired. How much salt are you getting?

Just to be clear, you’re not on any meds now, right?

I’m going to make this into its own thread so others with relevant experience can weigh in.

(Linda Culbreth) #3

The numbers were higher before I started the bone broth. I am making it myself - 1 or 2 pork neck bones in my large crock pot. I am drinking about 2-3 cups a day. As far as salt, 2-3 teaspoons.

on 7-4, fbg was 193 - last shot of bydureon.(last dose of any T2D meds)
on 7-5, 158. Started fasting that evening
on 7-6 -169. at noon, 199.(infection started)
on 7-7, 148. Lunch 193…on eye drops
7-8, 146, lunch 165, at 10 pm, 156.
7-9, 143, lunch 156.
7-10, 132, at 5 pm, 174.
7-11, 129, at 2:12, 151
7-12, 119, at 12:10, 140, started bone broth, at 8 pm. 121.
7-13, 113, noon 134 started oral antibiotics
7-14, 110, 3:30 119
7-15, 121, 12:15 119, 5:45 pm 94
7-16 103, 6:38 pm 123
7-17 112, 1 pm 103, 4:48 120
7-18, 111, 11:15 138, 6:50 pm 110
7-19 105, 9 pm 100
7-20 106, 12:50 132 still on oral antibiotics and eye drops

Thanks, Carol, for your help in figuring out this mystery.

(bulkbiker) #4

Sorry not Carol but if you are ill and fighting off an infection your blood glucose will usually be higher than usual. I had a really bad cold a few weeks ago and my bloods were about 1mmol/l (18 thingies in US terms) higher on average per day.

[quote=“MarkGossage, post:4, topic:16075, full:true”]
Sorry not Carol but if you are ill and fighting off an infection your blood glucose will usually be higher than usual.[/quote]

Have to agree with Mark… Until you are done with the antibiotics you will have higher BG.
I say that as I had just those results 10 / 15 count higher than norm and reverted to nearer normal levels after I was done with them.

I hope you return to better health and then you can begin to monitor truer levels…

(Linda Culbreth) #6

Thanks to both of you. I am guessing the infection is playing a much bigger role than I thought. Regardless, I am delighted at the early morning numbers and late evening/night numbers. They are sooooo very much better.

I have heard Dr. Fung and Megan Ramos say a rise in glucose throughout the day while fasting can be from glucose in your fat cells being released during lipolysis (fat burning)

(Linda Culbreth) #8

I really do appreciate that information. Makes sense to me because the fat (lipids) break down into ketones and glucose, in my understanding… Perhaps I don’t need to be as concerned - that this is probably a temporary issue that will go away as I become more fat adapted and loose more weight.