Getting Started Newbie

(Chynna Palau) #1

Hey all! My Mom and I are started the Keto Diet today. Although I have a good idea of what it is I don’t know what my meal plans should be and/or how to space them out. Can anyone help? Thanks.

(Susan) #2

Welcome to the forum, Chynna.

This thread should help you and your mom out a lot =).

For starting out I would do 3 meals a day with no snacking in between and make sure that you eat enough at all three so that you don’t feel hungry. A sample day might be something like this:

Breakfast --1 Coffee with MCT Oil
4 eggs scrambled with 2 tablespoons of butter
2 slices of bacon

Lunch–Romaine Lettuce in a bowl (1 cup)
1 can of tuna in water (drained)
1 pickle, chopped up
2 tablespoons of Chosen foods Keto Mayonnaise (or Primal)
1 cup of green tea

Supper–
Protein of your choice: fish, chicken, beef, lamb, pork, eggs
Cook some low carb vegetables in butter or EVOO(extra virgin olive oil) --Bok Choy, cabbage, brussel sprouts, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower are all good selections =).

Drink plenty of water (to thirst), make sure you are getting enough electrolytes --Here is a recipe to make your own:

The most important thing is to keep your carbs at 20 grams or less a day. Many of us like to use a carb calculator to keep track of our macros. The one I personally use is the FREE version of cronometer.com and I really like it =).

Do not worry about buying any programs, you can do this for FREE, with the amazing help here on the forum, as I myself, and most of us have done. We all want to see you and your mom succeed, and are here to help, so feel free to ask any questions and I wish you and your mom all the best on your new lives with Keto! (Remember that this is a lifestyle, not a typical diet, I feel that that is a very important element to keep in mind as well).

(Geof) #3

I have been practising a keto lifestyle for 11 months. I lost 35lbs in the first 6 months and have had no trouble maintaining this weight loss. Other benefits- after 6 months my doctor took me off Metformin and said I no longer have type 2 diabetes. He also cut my cholesterol medication in half. He said if I maintained this for another 6 months (coming up in May) he would take me off the cholesterol meds entirely. My BP is down, I feel great. I am 71 yrs old and wish I had been doing this 20 years ago. I also notice that I no longer suffer from heartburn or dandruff (of all things) any one else notice these other little bonus side effects of getting rid of carbohydrates. Read The Obesity Code and Why We’re Fat-

(Keto Koala 🐨) #4

Welcome Geof and congrats on your weightloss. This is a great Forum full of nice people. :heart::heart::heart:

(Keto Koala 🐨) #5

Welcome Chynna. It’s a great Forum. You got some great advice From Momof5 Susan. Just keep it simple and don’t overwhelm yourself with too much conflicting info, like I did. Read the " Keto is this easy" thing Susan sent and you and your Mum will do well. You will learn more as you go along. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

(Susan) #6

Welcome to the forum, Geof, and congrats on all your victories with Keto – both the weight loss and all of your NSV’s (non scale victories). You are doing great, I wish you continued health and happiness on Keto =-).