Getting a little frustrated

(Jacqui Haycock) #1

I have been strict keto following Dr Bergs healthy Keto since May. I have NASH, but the scales are struggling to move.

I am keeping my macros on track and log everything into Carb Manager. I have even started introducing IF into the programme, yet the scales are barely moving. I have lost 0.5lbs in two weeks.

A typical day would be:

Breakfast - coffee with a splash of milk
during the morning water with lemon and ACV
Lunch - Salad with spinach (combined 2 cups) sometimes celery and avocado with a moderate protein ( homemade mackeral pate/ steak/ egg) and maybe a tbsp kewpie mayo.
Afternoon - more water with lemon and acv
Dinner - veggies (cabbage, broccoli, kale, spinach) either steamed or sauted in butter and garlic, with protein - Steak, chicken, salmon, lamb), and sparkling water.

I am 51, probably post menopausal. I have about 60lbs to lose and struggling. Any pointers or guidance would be appreciated.

(Allie) #2

There’s not many Dr Berg fans here for several reasons, one being that the amount of veggies he advises is just way too much for many people.

Are you tracking to see how many carbs you’re consuming?

(Robert C) #3

Hi @Jacquihay,

If you started in May and kept below 20 grams per day of carbs and ate as you describe above, you should be finished or at the tail end of fat adaptation. Scales sometimes do not move for non-dietary reasons (limited sleep, stress etc.) but it is best not to let the lack of scale movement bother you for now.

I think the best thing you can do for yourself now is encourage yourself with what we call “NSVs” or non-scale victories. In your case there should be lots of positives and you have probably moved your metabolism from slow or low (where you’d gain wieght on even a few calories) to faster (where you’ll soon be dropping weight on moderate to high calories - and you’ll have control of weight through things like meal skipping).

• You might want to look into your NASH - has it somewhat or greatly improved?
  • Do you remember your mood and feelings daily before May - are they generally better (other than right after stepping off the scale)?
  • Did you have any bloodwork done recently prior to your May start - are there improvements in the blood numbers associated with metabolic syndrome?
  • Have you checked your measurements compared to May?
  • What about your skin - does it seem not-as-dry and more flexible and soft?

There are more things you can do but, I think you get the idea.
Becoming fat adapted might not immediately move the scale down (in fact for some, it goes up) but it gives you the potential to make that 60 pounds finally come off (without surgery, running marathons, etc.).

I agree with @Shortstuff - getting vegetables a bit lower in the beginning is probably good (a place where Dr. Berg pushes to much) so you can really ensure you are not getting too many carbs.

Seconding Allie’s note above, but also with NASH I think it’s probably a longer road to fat adaptation. It might be - this is a guess- that you have some liver healing to do before your fat-burning mechanisms really kick into higher gear.

ETA - posted at the same time as Rob! Great suggestions there :slight_smile:

Jacqui, in case you haven’t seen it yet, take a look at the Keto Women Over 50 thread. It’s got lots of great info and stories.

(Jacqui Haycock) #6

Hi Robert
Thats the weird thing, I believe I am fat adapted. I check my BG and ketone levels almost daily usually first thing in the morning and/or when I arrive back from work arount 5pm (so 5 hours post lunch). These have improved. I was seeing for quite some times Ketones never above 0.6, and BG around 5.3 to 6 in the morning (probably dawn phenomenon??). In the evening again BG around 5.3 to 5.6. So not too bad. However more recently morning BG 5 - 5.6 ketones normally 0.8, and after work GB as low as 4.8 (varies 4.8 - 5.3) and ketones 0.9 - 1.5.

Last week I did a 24 hour fast (through being busy, and thought what the hell, let try this) Morning BG 5.3 and before dinner (breaking fast) 5.6.

I am taking all the above as good results (I think they are good). But would have thought by now that the scales would start reflecting the hard work too. Clothes wise, not changed sizes.

Thanks

Jacqui

(Jacqui Haycock) #7

Hi Short stuff

Yes I am tracking, and still manage to keep under 20 net carbs. I dont snack or eat pre-packaged food so not consuming any hidden carbs.

I do agree with you about the veggies, although Dr Bergs reasoning was it helps the liver, and I considered I needed all the help I can get.

I might see if cutting them right back - keeping my salad at lunch and halving the amount on an evening helps.

(Jacqui Haycock) #8

Thanks Madelne

(Robert C) #9

Other confounders can be sleep (are you at 8 quality hours), stress (job, relationships, internal etc.), caffeine outside of the first 2 or 3 hours after waking and any alcohol as well as excessive exercise (or just a large recent increase in exercise volume - a little extra exercise is helpful - adding too much quickly amounts to more stress).

(Jacqui Haycock) #10

Hi Rob

Sleep - this has been a struggle for a few years, but am working on it :slight_smile:. I usually manage between 6 to 7 1/2 if lucky, but not much deep sleep or regular rhythm of deep/light and rem. I have a meditation app on the alexa to help me unwind and practice switching blue lights off at least 30 mins before trying to sleep.

Stress - this is a biggy and probably the cause of the above, job - up until 18 months ago was under excessive pressure at work due to a bullying boss. On top of this had worries with Husbands health (skin cancer), Dads Health and youngest daughter stress. In addition to those to make things worse I had legal/financial worries, which I felt unable to tell anyone about, and had been ongoing for 3 years previously. So past stress, a definite yes. However work, although in the same job, and having same day to day work pressures, is better. I have a new boss who is supportive. Close family worries are over with, and my legal/financial worries sorted (went to court and won!!!). I know the burden has taken a toll on my health, which resulted with me having a breakdown and was on SSRI’s for a while.

Caffeine - after a collapse in February, I only drink caffeine in the morning. A cup first thing, then now switch to water. In the evening if I fancy one, then its caffeinated

Alcohol - this one used to be my guilty pleasure. Most evenings I would have a glass, sometimes two. Since my health scare earlier this year, I only have alcohol on Friday/Saturday evenings, and never more than two as it gives me the worst headache the morning after if I do.

Exercise - this one I can never be accused of over doing ;). I may run it through my mind occasionally but thats as far as it gets. Having said that I do go walking with a friend on a lunchtime for 40 mins ( stretch the legs, fresh air, and a chance to sound out any frustrations). I also go to yoga weekly (90 mins). All helps to keep my stress levels lower.

Many thanks

(Annette ) #11

Definitely sounds like stress, sleep and alcohol are the culprits. I’m about the same age as you and have lost weight since May. Those factors can have a huge influence.
I applaud you for getting those issues tackled. You sound like you are on the right track now. You may want to add in one walk per day just for the stress relief, not for the exercise.
Best wishes going forward. KCKO.

(Tyler) #12

Sorry to hear that you’re struggling. I’m certainly no expert but from reading what you’re eating, first thing that seems off to me is that you might be eating too many vegetables (carbs). Also there doesn’t appear enough good fat in your diet. Just some ideas that are sure working for me

(Jacqui Haycock) #13

Thanks Annette

Mon to Friday I do my 40 min walk, it does help as my friend is a good listener, however is a devotee of Slimming World, LOL we all have all faults, and I have tried to convince her keto is the way, even though I’m not necessarily seeing results

(Jacqui Haycock) #14

Hi Tyler

Yes I have been trying to cram the 7+ cups of good veggies in per day, so will cut back to see if that works. I am eating avocado, butter, mayonaise, and only cook with Olive oil. I do eat fat on my meat, and skin. I have experimented with MCT oil, but find anything more than a teaspoon the best laxative ever (usually results seen within 30 mins of consumption).

(Jennibc) #15

What kind of oil is in the kewpie mayo? I dropped a lot of weight preketo by removing all seed oils and upping my fat intake with grassfed butter, olive oil and avocado oil Those seed oils are obesogenic for some us - aren’t we lucky!

(Jacqui Haycock) #16

Hi

It just lists the oil as vegetable oil, so not entirely sure.

(Susan) #17

Welcome to the forum, Jacqui =).

You have to get rid of this! Please read labels, we need to avoid all seed oils, and all Sugar.

You can buy Avocado Mayonnaise at Costco, or make your own with Keto approved Oils -Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Avocado Oil by example.

If you keep your carbs to 20 grams or less, have NO Sugar, eat adequate proteins and healthy Fats, lots of water, and keep your Electrolytes up, you will start to lose weight and fat =). Good luck =).

(Jacqui Haycock) #18

Hi Susan

Thanks, just been doing a little research and managed to find an alternative with Avocado oil and ACV, and eggs (Hunter Gatherer). I will have to hide it at the back of the fridge to stop my hubby from having it, as its so pricey.

(Jacqui Haycock) #19

Amazon is a wonderful thing… arriving tomorrow so not tempted to have any more :grin:

(Susan) #20

Okay, great. Please read labels when you are grocery shopping, as there are many hidden sugars, and seed oils in foods, both of which we need to avoid =).

You can download this for free to keep track of your carbs, proteins, fats and calories daily.

cronometer.com --there are paid versions too, but the free one works great, you don’t need to spend money =-).