Gained 1.5kg

(Olivia Bilocca) #1

Hey all, in the past few weeks we moved house and my 3 year old became super clingy. Thus my focus was not set on my eating as usual. I stopped tracking and for the most part still kept my carb macro in check. However I was snacking a lot and over ate protein and fat for sure. Also was barely drinking any water.

So from today I’m back to tracking but I’m so upset about it. Any words of encouragement?

Also: I read confusing information on the Internet, to track vs not. What do you suggest? Is portion size important? In the past weeks it seems I was constantly hungry so I figured as long as I’m not eating extra carbs I should go for it…apparently not judging from the weight gain. I’m also very constipated.

TIA
Olivia

(Meghan O'leary) #2

Hey Olivia, just get back on that horse. Don’t judge yourself or critize yourself. Life throws obstacles at you and priorities readjust temporarily or permanently and that’s normal. You can beat yourself up and feel bad but what does that accomplish? Give yourself some credit for handling the stress you’re going through.

As for tracking, what worked well for me was tracking very strictly in the beginning to get an idea of portion sizes and macro ratios. Now I just track if I’ve plateaued or When I recalculate my macro needs based on my new weight.

Hope this helps! You got this!
-Meghan

(Rob) #3

I agree with @Meghan_O_Leary. Don’t be so hard on yourself, in the grander scheme of things it will be a tiny blip in your progress.

Moving house is one of the most stressful things we do and your body’s chemistry will be all over the place because of that, but regardless of that, your body will be doing whatever it feels it needs to do at that point with the fuel you are giving it and if that means that your weight increases, so be it. Most of us have accumulated a lot of fat over a long period of systemic carbage abuse, over that time we have probably lost some weight too without concern.

I’ve tried to put my head on back to front and think about things in a different way, such that I can accept that the conventional wisdom (SAD) is bad for me and that eating fat can make me lose weight. I keep the end-goal in mind and don’t focus too much on the every day deviations. When I fall off the horse, I just get back on. I fell off for the first time yesterday with some office Christmas chocolate and cookies, but went straight back to keto in the evening with a fab Carlshead Pizza and the usual bacon & eggs for breakfast.

I did track at first using MyFitnesspal which helped me to start off on the right foot. I generally don’t track now though and I’m basically lazy keto. I still aim for the right proportions of macros, but just do it based on experience and if in doubt I add more fat.

As for the constipation, I can sympathise with you on that. Mine has been relieved greatly by increasing my magnesium intake from the 400mg RDA to 600mg per day and I also take 10000mg (two heaped teaspoons) of regular sea salt (Maldon) daily, dissolved in 1.5 litres of water with the juice of one lemon (mainly for taste). I drink that over the course of the day, in-between other usual drinks like coffee. I find that it also eliminates Nausea and reduces muscle cramps for me. It’s essentially keto-aid without the usual magnesium citrate liquid.

KCKO.

Rob.

(Allie) #4

Could be the stress of the house move rather than what you’ve been eating, go easy on yourself and let things settle.

(Olivia Bilocca) #5

Thanks all for your replies, it’s very reassuring to read your comments as I am pretty much feeling disappointed in myself. Today back to strict keto and back to tracking. I’m not experienced enough to go solo yet so for now will keep the tracking.

What you guys said makes sense and all in all it might have been the stress - still going on as we are nearly settled in the new house but not fully yet. AND my 11 year old is having a hard time with her new bedroom, she’s suddenly scared at night and my 3 year old has become clingy to the point of it’s like he’s glued to me. Being in the same room 2 metres away upsets him, we need to be physically touching. He’s also waking up earlier which screws my 5.30am Yoga practice.

Thanks for listening

(VLC.MD) #6

Don’t give in.
The best thing for him is a happy mom.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Also, a 1.5 kg weight gain is not all that much. It could simply be water weight, since carbs cause the body to retain water. If it’s water weight, it will leave you as easily as it came.

Furthermore, what has been happening with your clothing? Has it gotten tight again, or has it stayed loose? If the latter, I certainly wouldn’t worry about poundage. Remember that muscle tissue is much denser than fat, so if the body is adding lean tissue, it might be affecting your scale readings and not your fat loss. Above all, stay calm and keep ketoing on. You’ll be fine. Here’s some virtual bacon to encourage you: :bacon::bacon: