Fully Hydrogenated Lard

(Carol E. ) #1

I am not a scientist and nor do I play on at Ketogenic Forums :sunglasses:. The Lard and Tallow purchases thread peaked my interest about the term fully hydrogenated.

Fat Composition of Lard (Pig Fat):
45% monounsaturated
11% polyunsaturated
5% other fats
39 % saturated
Total fat that is not naturally saturated (non-saturated) is 61%
Total fat: non-saturated 61% + saturated 39% = 100%

Observations:

1. Full hydrogenation would be processing such that all of the non-saturated fats are chemically saturated, thus the “no trans fats” claim.
  2. The naturally occurring trans fats in lard would also become become chemically saturated (?)
  3. I have read several that lipid/fat/oil processing creates trans fats through partial hydrogenation. It does not seem logical that full hydrogenation would not also produce trans fats.
  4. Interestingly, the link the Armour website “Why Lard” links out to the Empowered Sustenance Page – Why Lard Is Healthy.
  5. Commercially available fully hydrogenated lard is being promoted as a healthy fat.

Thoughts? :thinking:

PS: I am not a purist and understand the challenges that accompany finding and affording healthy foods that fit the ketogenic lifestyle. KCKO :sunglasses:

What makes for a good cooking oil? Science, please!
(KCKO, KCFO) #2

I avoid all hydrogenated products. I use bacon fat, haven’t bothered doing the DYI lard rendering, since the bacon fat along with the other oils and butter I use provide plenty of healthy fat. Not sure how much anyone can trust Armour either.

(Carol E. ) #3

Agreed :+1:

(Candy Lind) #4

Might want to read @richard’s comments on THIS THREAD where he talks about why fats are hydrogenated in the first place, and how animal fats that are hydrogenated are likely nothing to worry about.