Full metal keto!

(Family, Honor, Freedom) #1

2019 was a good year for my health. Down 45 lbs, exercising hard - enough to enjoy my first ski vacation in years.

And, then…I threw it all to the wind on the vacation. Coming back home, I should have immediately jumped back in - full metal keto! But, no. Instead I ate moderate carb, sporadic keto, and lots of all of it with minimal exercise.

Now it’s August and 35 of my 45 burned pounds have returned.

Enough. I’m back, baby. Now on day 4 of my fast. How long will it go? Don’t know. I don’t care to make a commitment when it comes to fasting. I go as long as I feel it’s still a good idea. If I start feeling bad, I will eat. If I want to up my exercise level, I eat. If I just really, really, really want to, I eat. :smiley:

My longest last year was 10 days. Could have gone longer - I actually broke it accidentally. Traveling for business, I ordered a latte at the hotel Starbucks without thinking.

This time I may go a lot longer. Or not. We’ll see. Wish me good fortune - I need you guys’ support!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!

(Family, Honor, Freedom) #3

I’ve felt lethargic for the first 3 days - although not bad. Felt like I was perking up this morning but that didn’t last.

Typically, my experience with fasting is I feel tired for 2-3 days but on day 3 or 4 the ketosis kicks into high gear and I feel energetic from then on. So far, that seems to be taking longer on this one.

Numbers:
Weight 295 (Starting was 307 on Sunday)
K 0.9
G 72
GKI 4.4 (moderate ketosis)

Also started some very light exercise again. Don’t want to push myself much there - saving my willpower for the fast. Besides, awfully hard to gain muscle on a fast (though not impossible - hooray for autophagy!)

Accordingly, I’m only doing light bench press for now:
3x5 @ 140lbs

Falling off keto and finding a way back to it might actually be the most common manifestation in the community
(Family, Honor, Freedom) #4

Couldn’t access the forum yesterday.

Finally, ketosis is kicking in. I woke up yesterday feeling extremely energetic.

It didn’t last all day though. Quite tired in the afternoon/evening. I think it’s because I had to sit at my desk all day with very little movement. My theory is, when fasting, the body will try to conserve energy unless you show it that you need it. Go out hunting or gathering and it will free up plenty of energy for you to physically acquire more calories.

IMO, a fast should be accompanied by a lot of low-level exercise (puttering in the shop, cleaning up, mowing, etc) throughout the day. I’ve even found it alright to do a little intense work - but cautiously. Ketones aren’t as instant as glucose. Light-headedness could result.

Anyway, numbers from yesterday, day 5:
294 lbs
K: 1.7
G: 77
GKI: 2.5 (therapeutic ketosis)

Bench press: 3x5 @145

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

That could also be from hypovolaemia, so keep your electrolytes up and drink water (or coffee, I suppose) to thirst. Dr. Phinney advises a cup of salty bone broth about 45 minutes before strenuous exercise. Even if you are fasting, bone broth has minimal calories and isn’t likely to interfere.

(Family, Honor, Freedom) #6

Still not a lot of energy. Got in a spousal argument - which drains me even further. Accordingly, I’m just happy I made it through yesterday without eating.

Yesterday, Day 6, Saturday
The twenty-second of August in the year of our programmer two thousand and twenty:
291 lbs
K: 2.7
G: 79
GKI: 1.6 (therapeutic ketosis)

No exercise to speak of.

Today is looking good - “non-fasting normal” energy level so far. 'twill be one week fasted at 10pm tonight.

I try to take the measurements right around 4pm every day.

(Family, Honor, Freedom) #7

I have to call this one on account of rain. Felt ok in the early morning but the rest of the morning and afternoon, I’m just feeling dead. Best if I’m not feeling like that during work tomorrow.

I’ll be eating strict keto until Thursday, when I will start a new fast at 4pm. My reasoning: I think the lack of movement throughout the day killed me on this one. I’ll force myself to get some exercise on Friday and then I’ll putter all day Saturday and Sunday. I’m confident this will make the difference. It’s seemed to in the past.

The numbers - 6 hours shy of a 7 day fast:
289 lbs - a burn of 18 lbs. A good chunk of that is water and food carriage - so, naturally, that portion will return.
K: 2.7
G: 68
GKI: 1.4

So, breaking my fast at 4pm with bone broth.

Then, cauliflower soup.

Later, some mackerel and eggs.

(Family, Honor, Freedom) #8

My weight has not gone back up yet. Likely due to digestive issues (I always have that right after a fast). Weight will rise but, hopefully, not much.

Today, I had 4 avocados and a Remedy kombucha for lunch (probiotics, no sugar, 4g carbs).

Having some brisket and veggies, with butter and MCT oil, for dinner. No TV after dinner for me will translate to very little desire to snack.

3x5 @150
289 lbs
K: 1.8
G: 93
GKI: 2.9

(Bob M) #9

I always have that too, but I usually only fast 4.5 days (last meal Sunday, eat sometime Friday). 7 days is great.

(Family, Honor, Freedom) #10

@ctviggen, I hear it’s pretty common when ending a fast.

Staying keto still. Brisket and 2 avocados for lunch. I did snack on some pistachios and almonds in the afternoon. Dinner will be a chef’s salad.

K: 1.0
G: 88
GKI: 4.9 (moderate ketosis still!)

Didn’t check the weight today. I’d guess it’s up 2 or 3 lbs since digestion has gone back to normal now.

(Family, Honor, Freedom) #11

Stayed keto. Had one night where I let myself watch TV (Youtube - it’s almost all I watch anymore. News, howtos, history…ok, a cat vid once in a while too.) As usual, that meant I had to eat - so I overate that day.

Yesterday was my final meal. At 5pm, my GKI was 8.2 - “low ketosis”.

Weight was 293. Up 4 lbs from my “soft weight” low of 289.

If no one else has claimed the below terms, I hereby declare them original vintage of DaveMHA :wink:

“Hard weight” = weight measured during “normal eating”.
“Soft weight” = weight measured during an extended fast, when there is no food in the system and reduced water retention.

One can expect a soft weight measurement to be a few lbs lower than it a hard weight would be.

(Family, Honor, Freedom) #12

Update:
Didn’t get this one going. Still eating keto but fast will have to wait…