Four questions

(Marianne) #1
  1. Do you ever get sick of eating so much fat?
  2. Have you tried bulletproof coffee? (Do you like it?)
  3. Do you ever use protein powder to meet your protein?
  4. Do many of you use the finger prick ketometer or monitor your ketosis status?

(bulkbiker) #2
  1. I eat my fat with protein (usually meat) so no
  2. yes but usually just have coffee with double cream (HWC)
  3. No
  4. Yes blood ketone meter.

1. Not really.
  2. I’ve had it, it’s alright. I prefer iced coffee.
  3. No. Meat and dairy to get my protein.
  4. No, I don’t track my ketones.

(John) #4
  1. Not really. I don’t eat “so much fat.” I just don’t go out of my way to avoid fats in what I eat normally.
  2. No. Sounds horrible. I like black coffee most of the time.
  3. No. I use eggs, cheese and yogurt, meats, nuts, and vegetables to get my protein.
  4. I used the urine strips when I first got started. I still have a few but almost never check any more. Unlike some people who say they don’t work, they have always registered medium to dark purple for me.

(Robert C) #5
  1. No, you do not have to eat so much after being fat-adapted (comes from the belly instead of the diet).
  2. BPC is a matter of taste. Add or subtract MCT, unsalted butter, HWC and collagen until you like it.
  3. Protein powder spikes insulin - keto is a hormonal game so this should not be on your list.
  4. Blood ketone meter seems best.

(Allie) #6
  1. No
  2. Every day and yes or I wouldn’t have it every day
  3. Never
  4. When I feel like it

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #7

1- no, but I don’t eat a 70% macro either most days.
2- with butter, yes. With heavy cream, sure. With coconut or MCT, no. It is nothing like necessary.
3- as I focus more on protein, I will have a premixed shake for periods. I don’t buy protein powder, I don’t add it to things, I just eat meat and call it a day.
4- I don’t monitor my ketones at all. They are not my goal.

1.Nope, never.
2.Nope never-black. all day long lol
3. Nope. I use it in cooking and baking for texture, but never to meet my macros.
4.Nope

1. No - This is our primary fuel source and getting sick of something implies that I/we no longer have a craving for it which is incorrect. We developed a palate for fats (desire to consume fats) and lost 99% of the cravings for carbs and sugar. I think this type of lifestyle might work better for some than others depending on your personality as well. I have no desire to change what I eat or the fats consumed. I normally have no other “cravings” other than to consume fats and protein. We add fiber in low carb veg but we do eat the SAME veggies that you can count on one hand year after year. Doesn’t bother us at all. You might find you care less and less about variety over time and this happens naturally.

2. No - Never had it. I have regular drip coffee wherever it’s available. My husband is Cuban and more discerning. His regular cup is usually a five shot americano or something stronger.

3. No - Never. We emphasize fresh meats and real food. My husband does weight lift (he’s a mountaineer in his free time/carries heavy multi-day packs) but we consume as much fresh food as we can procure and the fats include a lot of omegas and real fats from the protein cuts. We eat a lot of fresh beef, chicken, pork and fish. Keep in mind after fat adaptation, your source for fuel will come from fats not protein and consumption is also radically reduced the more your body burns fat. The protein from the real food itself if eaten consistently provide enough protein for both of us.

4. No - We used to use ketone sticks but haven’t for awhile. Once you know your body long enough on this journey, you’ll read tell tale signs of falling off the band wagon and also learn to avoid falling off because it just doesn’t feel good. Because the foods are limited and what you consume is so limited including the intermittent fasting etc it’s not hard to figure out where you went wrong. It’s not our business to prove our scores to anyone or competitively test each week or day how we can do better. We’ve reached our weight/fitness goals for the most part (I’m working on the last 5 lbs) and are in maintenance mode. It’s a very happy time.

(Carl Keller) #10
  1. Only if it’s a massive amount of fat in one meal. It takes a lot to get me there but I will get a little queasy if I go too hard on some type of meat that is extremely fatty. I do love the flavor that fat gives meat though and I really enjoy moderate amounts.

2. Only poor man’s BPC: coffee with coconut oil, a little HC and some Stevia. I drink it daily and look forward to it. It hits me like energy drinks used to but I can feel the energy in my brain, not just my body.

3. No. I enjoy protein too much and if I prefer to chew it.

4. No.

I’m guessing you are not fond of fatty protein by the looks of these questions. You are not alone and can still get your fats up by eating salmon as well as nuts and dairy in moderation.

(Betty ) #11
  1. Never
  2. Yes. It’s OK.
  3. Tried one brand that’s supposed to be good, but it’s just not for me. Can buy a lot of healthy protein for what the powder costs.
  4. Yes, I use the prick a few times a week to make sure I’m still in ketosis an am still learning how particular foods affect me. This is definitely about learning how YOUR body reacts to things.

(Cindy) #12
  1. I don’t eat extra fat, I’m just not afraid of it. So I eat as much butter on my broccoli as I want, but i don’t add fat to coffee, eat butter by the spoonful, etc.
  2. See above answer. LOL I add HWC to my coffee because that’s what I LIKE, but no way am I adding coconut oil, butter, etc. Ick.
  3. I don’t calculate how much protein I need. I listen to my body…when I’m craving steak, I eat it. When I’m really wanting broccoli, I eat it. So no protein powders.
  4. I don’t monitor my ketone status. I know if I keep my carbs low, I’m in ketosis. The rest doesn’t matter.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #13
  1. If I get sick of a certain fat I switch to a different type.
  2. No, I drink coffee black.
  3. I’ve never had a protein bar. I get more than enough protein from meat and nuts
  4. I test ketones with a blood monitor when it fits into the budget.

(Kristen Ann) #14
  1. No.
  2. I had my first BPC at the end of my 4th month of keto. It was delicious, but I will only have BPC if I’m having an afternoon coffee because I wouldn’t want to break my morning fast.
  3. No I feel like they are really processed and I have a hard time keeping my protein at moderate levels as is.
  4. When I first started, I used pee sticks. Now I don’t monitor at all bc I can feel when I’ve been kicked out and when I get back into ketosis.

1. I don’t get sick of fat - I tried to cook bacon without butter yesterday, it burned. Seems necessary with or without keto.

One tablespoon olive oil added to salad will convert it from rabbit food, to something worth eating.

Chicken skin is tasty. Cheese … all good

So I’m fine with fat.

1. No never tried BPC. I just have mine with cream (not HWC). I like cream better than milk, it’s high octain enough.

2. No protein powders. I much prefer real food. Protein from meat, fish, eggs…

3. Finger prick ketometer. Yes.

I was knocked out of keto accidently a few times and would not have known were it not for the near zero ketone reading. A rude shock.

I had to check everything about 4 or 5 times to find the hidden carbs.

• more milk than expected in cafe shop coffee. 10g worth not 1.5g,
  • once I had all my 19g carbs in one hit. Dumb idea,
  • changed brand of yogurt.

I had no obvious symptoms just a mysterious gain of 2lbs which I would’ve waved away as water weight … so yes I’m a fan (now).

1. No. Took some getting used to (over a year). Liking it more and more & key for my satiety.
  2. Almost every morning except when fasting. Counts as a meal.
  3. No
  4. No

(Bob M) #17
  1. I don’t eat much fat.
  2. I used it for a while, when I ate a lot of fat. That was over two years ago (been low carb/keto 5 years of of Jan. 1 of this year). Now, I eat a lot less fat and eat a lower fat diet.
  3. You mean for keto or in general? For keto, never. (Pre-keto, all the time.)
  4. I go in and out of monitoring. I’m currently using blood and breath. Urine strips ceased working for me years ago.

If you want to raise your ketones, eat a lot of fat or fast multiple days.

I don’t eat “so much fat,” so no

Yes and yes. But I don’t drink it because I don’t drink coffee anymore. Sometimes I put butter in my tea (or unroasted coffee) and froth it up. I don’t use MCT oil

No

Yes, but mostly I’m interested in my bg readings. Ketones are just curiosity since I know I will be in ketosis. I’m curious about how activity, fasting, foods and bg levels impact ketone levels.

(Frank) #19
  1. No
  2. Yes (yes occasionally)
  3. No
  4. No

(Full Metal KETO AF) #20

No, no, no and no. :cowboy_hat_face:

(I put butter and coconut oil in my coffee once when I was out of cream. I had trouble drinking it. It didn’t taste remotely like coffee, just coconut oil) :confused: