Formally introducing myself to the forum (400+ lbs starting weight)

TL;DR: 6’5" 431lbs man starts Keto June 1st, 2018. Loses 80+ lbs in just under 4 months. Proceeds to write a long diary post. Thanks in advance if you read the whole thing. Felt good to get it out there.

Edit: I have replies of updates and my personal thoughts of starting over 400 lbs and making the journey to a healthier me.

Second post here, but decided to introduce myself to the forum and tell everyone the story that got me here
today.
Stats: 33 year old male 6’5" tall and starting weight of 431lbs. I have been “tall and all” my whole life. I have also been big my whole life. When I was a teenager I was tested for giantism but turns out I’m just a big guy. I have always been severely overweight but for the most part it didn’t stop me. After high school I’d hang out with friends and eat just about anything that I wanted. I just didn’t care because my identity was the “big guy”. I got married at 21 and shortly after my brother convinced me to go work out with him. My weigh in at the gym was a whopping 382 lbs. back then. I worked out probably 5-10 times over the next year, but it didn’t do anything because I was still eating like crap. I went to the gym so infrequently I still called it James. Over the next 10 years I tried to lose weight but it never stuck. The smallest I ever weighed as an adult was 343 lbs almost 9 years ago after a few months of logging my food and walking after work.

Then in January 2017 I got sick and went to the doctor. My blood pressure was 168/112. She told me I was in stroke range, and that upset me quite a bit. I tried to rationalize it because I work in a stressful sedentary job, and my mother was currently in the ICU fighting the flu and pneumonia. I started tracking my BP and after a month, they put me on my first BP medicine. After 6 months I went back and my BP still wasn’t good enough, so they upped the dosage. By this time my mother, grandmother, and nephew moved into our house so we could be primary caretakers for them. They were unable to maintain their house and it was just easier.

Fast forward to February 2018, and I went back to the doctor. My BP was still not where it should be, and by this time I was up over 400 lbs. My doctor put me on a second BP medicine and talked about losing some weight. Sure, I’ll jump right on that… and I didn’t.

I went back to my doctor May 29, 2018 for my 3 month follow up appointment. I weighed in at 431 lbs and for some reason, that number hit me right in the gut. I’ll never forget what my doctor told me that day. He said, “I could keep prescribing you medicine all day long, but until you chip away at that weight, I don’t think it’s going to make much difference.” I went home that night even more depressed than I have been in the past year.

The thing is, I couldn’t really rationalize what it meant to be 400+ lbs. Only people on t.v. were that big in my mind. In my eyes I was fine. I was still able to provide for my family and I was fairly mobile. Maybe my back and knees were hurting occasionally and sure, my ankles had been hurting for a few months. That’s just life. Life for me was being self conscience of eating in front of people. Standing in groups because I was afraid chairs wouldn’t hold me, and somehow rationalizing my eating habits. I had just about ZERO self control and I knew that. I wasn’t planning on living past 40. (even typing that out now hits me right in the feels).

So back to my story. I went home from the doctor’s office that night and told my wife I had to do something. I told her I had to cut carbs. I had success in the past when I limited carbs and ate more meat and veggies. The next day I kept thinking about a friend who started keto the year prior and he said he lost over 60 lbs. I began looking into keto and read stories on /r/keto. On June 1st, 2018 I officially started the ketogenic diet. I decided that if I was going to be successful I need to treat it sort of like a game and set up mini goals instead of just looking at the finish line. My first goal was to be able to weigh at home. My scale only went up to 405 lbs so every day I’d step on the scale to check… “Err” Then after 2 weeks, Err was replaced with 402.8. I hit my first goal. With 2 weeks under my belt I felt like Forrest Gump. I went this far, I guess I’ll keep going. My wife joined me at this point and she’s doing fantastic.

Keto had it’s ups and downs. I miss convenience the most. I miss being able to run into a drive through and grab food on the go. I don’t miss any of the carbolicious foods that I ate before, and if I do, I’ll make a keto friendly version of it. My relationship with food is beginning to change. I don’t like zucchini or spaghetti squash but if that’s the vegetable of the night, I’ll eat it without hesitation. I eat fantastic food and I feel full without feeling sick. I drink powerade zero a few times a week when I feel wonky, and my lack of gallbladder has not done me any favors, but I manage.

Yesterday I stepped on the scale and achieved my 4th mini goal. In just under 4 months, I am under 350 lbs.! When people ask about my weight loss I tell them what I’m doing. I know it breaks the first rule of keto but oh well. I’m too excited. They always ask the same second question of “well how do you feel?” I FEEL GREAT! I eat great tasting food and I’ve learned that my role model shouldn’t be Kirby from Nintendo.

If you made it this far, then you have unlocked a mini goal yourself! CONGRATULATIONS! I realize this is more of a diary post than anything else but it feels good to get it all out there. The people with similar stories or starting weights motivated me the most, so I want to reach out to anyone else out there that has a lot to lose. I just hope they find the same motivation I did in the other posts. If you need someone to bounce something off, or just need a “big guy” in your corner cheering you on, reach out to me!

Lastly, a few encouraging words that I’ve read on here and /r/keto:
You didn’t gain it in a week/month/year, so don’t expect to lose it in a week/month/year
Sure it’s water weight, but you still counted it in your weight right? Why wouldn’t you count it in your weight loss?
KCKO

The fallacy of pseudo-significant numbers

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Those formal relationships never last!

Alright! I didn’t even know I was going to hit a goal, today! Thanks!

@Slabb, wonderful testimony! Thank you for sharing it. Look forward to more of your contributions on the forum.

(Heather~KWOL for life!) #3

Thank you for sharing, and congrats on your successes! I look forward to seeing your follow ups!

(Ikombe Basame) #4

Your post made me shed tears of joy for you! Im happy for you, keep on keeping on.!

(Amy Ramadan) #5

Thanks for sharing your story!! So Happy for you, and I hope you continue on your journey!!! What a difference in your overall health as well as confidence and happiness these few months have made!!! Sounds like you are doing a great job!! I have a long way to go myself, but reading your story gives me hope as well as motivation!! :+1:

Congrats! I wish you all the best in your continued success :smile:

(Ethan) #7

GREAT JOB! How do you feel overall?

Don’t forget, you may have broken the first rule of keto, but there is also the zeroth rule:

Do what works for you!

@Ikombe_Basame I certainly wasn’t trying to make you cry, but I’m glad it’s tears of joy!

@Amy_R0922 My overall health and mental status has improved greatly! My wife and I were just talking about over our 12 year anniversary dinner last night.
I too still have a long way to go, but I feel better on this ride. I know I’ll get to where I want to go, and you will too! I have weight mini goals, and the dungeon boss goal of getting off my BP meds. I like to equate it to video games with achievements. I give myself 10 imaginary points when I pass on free work donuts, or 15 points for drinking water goal every day for a week. Makes it easier just knowing those sweet, sweet imaginary points. :):smiley:

The fallacy of pseudo-significant numbers

I feel great! I feel empowered. My wife is down over 30 lbs and feeling the benefits. My dad and step-mom have lost 40 lbs each. Not only weight, but my dad was having back problems and he’s seeing improvement with that as well. We have made it easier for my T2D mom to stay on track with her needs (although in my first post I go into why that’s more difficult due to her recent heart attack).

Besides weight, I just feel like I can do what I want to. I know I still weigh a lot, but I know I can keep on track. I have goals! I want to do a mud run next spring, and I think I’ll be in a place to do that!

(Casey Crisler) #10

Fist pump! Fist bump! Keep it up!
If you EVER get discouraged about it, come to this site. So many people on here are more than willing to help.

(Amy Ramadan) #11

Congrats on 12 years!! And good luck getting off your bp meds. I bet that will happen for you very soon!!

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #12

Hey Slabb,
I can RELATE!
Also started June 1st, also started over 400 lbs (495!), currently 405. I’m a midget compared to you…only 6’2.
I’m starting to think that there isn’t this narrow band of things we have to do right to successfully LOSE weight… There’s a narrow band of things we can’t do wrong or we’ll GAIN weight.
I’ve been strict keto…lost.
I’ve been looser keto… Lost
I’ve tried IF … lost
I’ve tried EF… lost

But when I’ve added any simple carbs or sweeteners… No loss. Hmmmm.

Good luck in your journey! Sounds like you’re killing it.

90 lbs! That’s fantastic!! I’m basically lazy keto. I don’t set out to do IF if i can help it. My lack of gallbladder makes me pay for it. However, last Friday I had a late day at work, went home to change and then helped my wife with a fundraising trivia night. I didn’t really feel hungry until I started smelling some of the food people brought, but that went away pretty quick. We left around 10pm that night and I was all set to grab some arbys roast beef with sliced swiss cheese and eat it like a taco, but I decided to just go home and made a can of tuna and scooped it with some pork rinds. I didn’t feel bad or “hangry” during the trivia night, and just started getting hungry again when I left. Old me would’ve stopped at a “bell ringer” of a fast food place and probably eaten more food at home, but instead I felt good. So long story short, I ended up with a coincidental 11 hour fast, but that’s fairly rare.

I told myself I absolutely couldn’t do simple carbs, even if it was just a bite. I knew I didn’t have the self-control to do that yet. Now I think I could, but I just don’t want to. I just keep telling myself that birthday cake isn’t worth the set back. I know I could KCKO, but I got goals to meet! I want to be in two-topia by Christmas.

Keep up the good fight @GodwinGoGo. Us “big guys” have to stick together, until we are kicked out of the club. haha

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #14

No gallbladder here either. I’ve been reading of some folks issues on keto, but honestly, all my gall bladder issues disappeared after going keto.

Personally, I have the hardest time with hangry pangs around 2-3 pm and around 8-9pm. Since becoming fat adapted I rarely am hungry before noon, and am usually good in the afternoon and evening.

I’m learning to head off temptation. If I’m going to an event where temptations might be, I’ll preemptively eat before hand: healthy, filling, and just enough to tame my inner beast. Keeps me on the right side of the law and makes me feel good to not be tempted.

Seem to be stuck
(Jessica) #15

Wow! You’ve done great! James :rofl:!

(Central Florida Bob ) #16

Fantastic, Slabb! 80 pounds in 4 months? The mind boggles.

Are you off the BP meds? For some, that seems harder for some people than others.

(Edited to put in the “for some people” - I forgot!)

Not yet. I went to the doctor about a month ago, and he was very supportive. He asked where I was getting my information. I was nervous at first but he just said that he doesn’t know a lot about diets so he likes to keep notes on resources for future patients that might ask. Unfortunately my BP was lower, but not low enough. He did tell me to keep an eye on it and if it dropped lower to call him immediately. Overall my best doctor’s appointment to date.

(Wendy) #18

I love this! :sweat_smile::smile::smiley:

(Wendy) #19

Slab I enjoyed your whole post and am so proud of all you’ve accomplished! Congrats and kcko!

(Central Florida Bob ) #20

Good luck with it. It seems lots of people get off BP meds on keto, just not all people. On the other hand, BP meds seem far less bad for us than having chronically high insulin.

I’ve been keto for years and now may - may - be getting to where I can get off mine. I also seem to be able to get off gerd medicines, the Prilosec OTC I’ve been taking for 10 years (??? Not sure how long).

Which is a long-winded way of saying that we seem to be able to heal for years, so if everything doesn’t fix itself right away, don’t give up.