Formally introducing myself to the forum (400+ lbs starting weight)

(Blessed with butter ) #21

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I believe in you and you can do it. My husband does not do forums, fb or any of that but he too is 6’2 and 350 he started august 20th and he is down 12 pounds, He is loosing slow but steady. You are very honest and I am honored to hear your story. Thank you

(Dawn Marie) #22

BEST line ever!
Thanks for sharing your journey thus far and congrats on what you have accomplished! I am sooo excited for you and your wife!

KCKO

Great post. Inspirational. I’m giving it another stab. I’m on day one and it has already been a grind. I am doing things a bit differently though than last time. For instance, I do not like cooking. So when I do cook, it’s for several days of food. I have to take it one day at a time, or so I tell myself.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

@Slabb Congratulations on the progress so far. I look forward to future updates. If you feel like it, there is a private progress thread (locked, so it is unsearchable by the Net) in which you can post pics you’re not ready to share with the world at large (there is also a public before-and-after thread, when you’re ready).

Seems as though advice would be superfluous, so just keep on ketoing on, and welcome to the forums! :bacon::bacon:

Meal prepping is a great idea. There were a few times when I cooked an ungodly amount of meat on my smoker. It was our lunches for the week. I usually just keep it simple. I have some form of meat, plenty of vegetables, and possibly some cheese. Most of the time I just mix it up and eat that.

Thanks for the information. I might post it sometime. For some reason, even the thought of purposely putting pictures on the internet sort of gives me an anxiety attack. I’m sure i’m not alone when I say that I didn’t really like my picture taken.

You most certainly are not, my friend… :blush:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

Not alone??!? There are so many people in the same boat with you that the boat sank before it could leave shore. :rofl::rofl:

(Carissa JB) #29

I love your inspiring story, so glad to have read it!

Your keto forum friends are free anytime for a get-together. :grin:

(Jackie Blue) #31

I’m brand new to keto and this forum and haven’t lost ba single pound a month into it. Your story was just the inspiration I needed to KCKO! Moreso than for myself, thank you for sharing your story for my husband. He’s the one who was creeping down that path toward diabesity and hypertension and really needed this change. I read him your whole post and he sends much admiration and congratulations to you, along with mine.

Thank you very much for the kind words. It’s so easy to do nothing. I did that for years. Inside I wanted to change but I could never get on track and stay there. I ate what I wanted, when I wanted and so what if I had to take a little bit of BP medicine. I work in a high stress environment and had a lot of stress factors in my life. My A1c was 5.0 so I was fine, right? Right??? I believe that my pancreas was keeping up, but running at the max so when it quit, I’d probably be in worse shape than most.

I really believe that each person has to find their line in the sand. They have to take an honest look at themselves and ask if what they look like today would be ok for the rest of their lives? Are they happy with the current health status as it stands today? If they say no, are they willing to make a change today to work towards making different, healthy choices? For me that answer was no for a long time. May 29th when I was driving home from the doctor’s office I decided that answer was yes, and I needed to figure it out fast because if I didn’t, I’d give up.

(Jackie Blue) #33

Yes! Their own line in the sand is right. And nobody else can draw it for them. Hubby’s father died suddenly of a massive heart attack in his early 60’s. He was obese, had replaced every major joint from
The lower back down- (blown out lower back discs, both knees, both hips, even his ankles!) had diabetes and high blood pressure, all
Of which he constantly normalized for his son as he dug his way spoonful by loaded spoonful
Toward his grave. He insisted his heart was perfect right until A few days before his death, when he started having “reflux”. Turned out he had 3 arteries over 90% blocked. He died instantly, getting dressed to visit a friend in the hospital.

I’ve been married to hubby for over 20 years now. He gained all the sympathy weight of 5 kids with me, but didn’t do the sympathy diet & exercise to lose most of it when I did!

He also has a very stressful, sedentary administrative job with crap food (donuts is your first clue as to his profession) constantly within arm’s reach.

He’s 50 now, his hair went white 5 yrs ago (the job or 5 kids? You decide!), he’s the shape of a manatee, has sleep apnea, and has had back surgery as well as one hip replaced. I’ve watched him morph into my FIL over the years. If thinking about bedding your FIL doesn’t put a damper on your marital ardor, you are a better spouse than I!

Accordingly, I have been on his case constantly. It turns out all the men down the line in his family have died in their 60s from
Sudden massive and fatal heart attacks while
Obese! One even crashed into a bank while on the job from it. I insisted hubby keep all our financial
Info in order for me now. As his weight climbs, so does my certainty that I will be a widow in a decade or so. It’s been very hard on our marriage.

Threats, bribes, new diets, guilt about the kids, offers of sexual favors, nothing has worked to make him change his gorgeful ways. The job undoes my work at home as soon as he gets there. And he’s sometimes there more than he is here.

It finally took the one thing I don’t have to get him to turn his life around: a set of gonads! The sausage fest that he calls coworkers (see? It all
Comes down to food in the end, always!) started exploring the Keto diet. The one guy he has the most in common with lost a huge amount of weight and had us over to dinner.

By the 3rd time we went out with them, hubby had made up his mind. With or without me, he was going Keto. I felt the bittersweet joy of knowing this time he’d really do it, b/c it came from the job and a male that he respects (workwife) in the same profession.

Maybe in your job, you will end up doing the same thing for someone else. I seriously think his coworker could be the reason hubby will get to see all our kids graduate from college (or get out of prison, as the case may be with this youngest hoodlum!).

Now, if only he could do something about hubby’s Godawful wardrobe of sweats and baggy cargo pants!

You are finally learning, Grasshopper. :grin: drops the mic

Seriously, @JackieBlue, I know men can be frustrating :wink: , but I’m glad your husband finally got the message. I’ll bet he’ll not only get to see your kids graduate; he’ll get to enjoy the grand kids too!

I think all of us here have A LOT to look forward to.

(Jodie Egli-Smith) #35

Thanks for sharing your story. My husband is 6’9" and was always skinny, He now has a baby belly but is slowly losing it as I feed him Keto meals. He is not in ketosis but his carb consumption is way down.

I like you had a wake up call and was inspired to consider bariatric surgery. The diet they put me on to be able to have the surgery was keto. I was losing so much weight so fast that I started to do homework and realized that perhaps I could lose weight without the surgery. It has been 8 months and I have lost 80 pounds so far. I have about 50 to go. Keto and keep sharing your journey!

Ironic isn’t it? :wink:

@JackieBlue if I didn’t know better, I’d say you were married to me! I’m guessing your husband and my career probably crosses, or is pretty close. While my dad is still alive, his father died very early from a heart attack and my mom was very close a few weeks ago.

I was able to get the real important people started. My dad and step-mom, each losing over 40 lbs so far. My wife who is down 30, and my brother-in-law who is trying to get fit enough to go to police academy in the next year. People at work keep commenting on the changes they are seeing, but when I tell them no bread, no sugar they reply with “keto?” Once I confirm that, everyone seems to turn their noses about how impossible that diet is. I just don’t get it.

Just grab some meat. Doesn’t matter what kind it is. You throw that meat on some heat. Doesn’t really matter what kind. Grab some veggies, with the exception of a few, it doesn’t matter what kind it is. Cook those veggies. Take the meat off the heat and put it in a bowl. Take those veggies and throw them in the bowl too. then you grab the cheese. You know what kind of cheese you use??? DOESN’T MATTER WHAT KIND IT IS! Sprinkle some of that cheese on there and a little bit of hot sauce. BOOM! dinner.

You can use steak, chicken, ground beef, sausage, shredded pork, fish. Literally all great just like that.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #38

Interesting that so many people doing keto are former, or in some cases current, vegetarians. I was mostly vegetarian for about 15 years. So many people can’t fathom excluding a category of food. But for me it was merely a matter of switching which part of he grocery store I ignore. I think keto is easier for people who don’t mind being different from other folks. I don’t think it is actually about food.

I don’t remember how hard I thought it would be to give up bread, but now I think it’s even harder to imagine eating it again.

I guess you could say I decided to live without it instead of not living with it.

(Eva Drake) #40

I’m doing it! STARTING TODAY@