Foolproof mayonnaise

(KCKO, KCFO) #41

The main problem with prepared mayos is the oil they use if veggie oils, not healthy for you. Primal Kitchen makes one with avocado oil if you must have commercial mayo.

(Sophie) #42

Worked like a charm! I saw a video where the person just continued to pulse the stick blender (at the bottom of the jar) until it was thick, so thatā€™s what I did. I used an egg, Avo oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, minced garlic and some salt. Iā€™m sure itā€™ll thicken even more once it chills. Yay!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #43

The carb count is relatively low, but as you note, it does contain sweetener (canā€™t recall if itā€™s sugar, honey, or what), so I tend to avoid it. I used to like the taste of it, but after making my own, itā€™s too sweet for me, even the chipotle flavor. So itā€™s one of those, you can probably get away with it, but I wouldnā€™t make it a regular thing foods.

(TJ Borden) #44

I finally tried this, and the recipe was right; I will never buy mayo again and itā€™s soooo easy. Our favorite so far is avocado oil with lime juice. We havenā€™t gotten around to infusing other flavors in yet, but that will come soon. The recipe calls for a heavy pinch of salt, first batch I did a heavy pinch (about 1/8 tsp) and it wasnā€™t enough. Next batch I tried 1/2 tsp and it was too much. This last batch I did 1/4 tsp and it was perfect.

(Rob) #45

Foolproof Mayonnaise - challenge accepted!! :crazy_face:

Never underestimate this fool!

(Jason) #46

How long do these raw egg based Mayoā€™s keep for?

(Alec) #47

Jason
Iā€™ve kept mine in the fridge for 2 weeks without an issue. However, it usually gets snaffled well before it goes off!

I am still trying to perfect a recipe to taste for my picky wife, but I can tell you this method works. The only time it didnā€™t work for me I had broken the yolk in the jar I was using. So try not to break the yolk if you can.
Cheers
Alec

(TJ Borden) #48

Like @Alecmcq, it doesnā€™t usually last long anyway. I only make about a cup at a time, so a tuna salad and chicken salad pretty much use it up. Iā€™ve only had mine go about a week before it was used up.

(Alec) #49

A week? Mine lasts 3 days tops. It is sooooooooooo much better than the shop bought shit.

(KCKO, KCFO) #50

I make double batches and keep them for up to three weeks. I keep it in a mason jar, it has salt and vinegar, both are preservatives. My ultra sensitive stomached husband has never had a problem eating it up to that time. But honestly three weeks is extremely rare, we have taken a trip and not opened the fridge for a long time for that to occur, a double batch is gone in two weeks if I am fasting, it I am not doing EX fasts, it doesnā€™t last a week.

For those who like extra thick mayo you can blend in an additional egg.

(Norma Laming) #51

Iā€™m not keen on raw egg white.

(Alec) #52

Why? Taste? Concern over bugs?

(Norma Laming) #53

Not bugs. Avidin, though I accept youā€™d have to eat a lot to have an effect. And I donā€™t fancy raw egg white. The nutrients are in the yolk as far as Iā€™m concerned so I prefer to chuck the whites. Iā€™m not into whipping egg whites for all the various recipes or I might save them.

(Sophie) #54

Chef John has a lovely mayo recipe using just the yolks. I really like itā€¦

(Deborah ) #55

Thank you for posting! Iā€™ve been wanting to make some mayo. Now all I need is the stick blender! LOL!

(Sophie) #56

You donā€™t need a stick blenderā€¦just a whisk and a hellova lot of elbow grease!

Watch thisā€¦you can thank me laterā€¦ :wink:

(Norma Laming) #57

Yes :blush:all the recipes Iā€™ve ever seen just use egg yolks. I think the recipe at the top uses the whole egg just to save the minor effort of separating yolk from egg

@ Brian, Iā€™ve also made 6 batches of this with Avocado Oil in the last couple of weeks. It truly DOES work!

I made one trial batch of Baconnaise that did ā€œBREAKā€. It was just Bacon Squeezinā€™s added to the Avo Oil. I fixed it by adding the runny, gloopy mess into a fresh batch of well emulsified Avocado Mayo made like the above, and voilla! It was around a 1/3 cup of bacon fat (strained of solids) to 2/3 cup of Avo Oil. Maybe Iā€™ll try it again at some point.

It is very tasty!