Fixing Broken Metabolism - Dr. Berg

(Omar) #82

between minute 6 and minute 8

(less is more, more or less) #83

Thanks, @Alpha (Omar) for that.

Dr. Phinney carefully qualifies that statement in his summation regarding their overall experience. It’s in the context of “calorie deprivation” and “extreme exercise,” and not fasting. I don’t see Phinney’s claim as too extraordinary?

(Omar) #84

The topic (The presentation ) of Dr Phinney is about fasting. So I am not sure why he would bring the biggest loser experement in this topic. Also he was very firm and strong in stating that the metabolic damage is irreversible.

I am not qualified to examine the claim of irreversible damage to the metabolism . but I still think it is too strong (wrong or right )

(Omar) #85

this is the single most informative presentation I ever listened to.

thanks

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #86

I’ve always felt that drs. Phinney and Fung were a lot closer together than may appear. Phinney’s objection, as I understand it, is that fasts over four or five days can be dangerous, if not properly approached, and I have heard Megan Ramos in person advise not fasting longer than about four days, especially without medical supervision. Phinney’s position is based on Cahill’s famous study, “Starvation in Man,” and also to some extent, I believe on Keys’s caloric-restriction experiments during World War II. Fung has a great deal of case data on the safety and efficacy of short-term fasting, but the experiments Phinney is referring to were not short-term ones.

(PJ) #87

Just linking to the brief partial transcript of Phinney on this topic in another thread.

Sorry for necroposting, but when I see either “Dr. Berg” or “Broken Metabolism”, I experience spontaneous spasms at the keyboard.

As to Berg, Oy.

As to Broken Metabolism, Oy Oy. I hear that phrase used often, but I put it in the same category as climate catastrophe, cultural competence, toxic masculinity, etc… A phrase commonly used assuming we all know what it means and agree it exists, but for which there is no evidence or definition.

A guy six feet under, dead for 3 years, I agree his metabolism is broken. But someone who has a lowered metabolic rate after having lost hundreds of pounds? Sounds like a healthy adaptation to me, one that is associated with increased longevity in animals and possibly humans. I still don’t understand the problem with not having to eat as much as someone else just to stay alive.

Sorry for the rant - Dr. Berg (Oy) made me do it.

(Carl D Black) #89

lol, well, I have to agree with your feelings about “broken metabolism.” I have to call BS on that. But as to Dr. Berg, well, I have lost close to 80 lbs following his Healthy Keto and haven’t spent a dime on his wares. So I can’t complain.

(Doug) #90

Berg… :smile: (Ugh.)

There you go, being all constructive and gracious right in the middle of my snide cynicism. So Berg has positively impacted people’s lives while I have contributed exactly zilch. So what’s yer point?

(Bunny) #92

Some other good points: Dr. Berg and people like Hyperlipid to touch up on the finer details, we would be up the creek without a paddle?

This could all be proprietary information if people like this did not exist and you would be paying through the nose to get it?

Totally agree. I was just marvelling at how positively I’ve been impacted by information that’s simply unavailable through traditional channels at any price.

(Paulene ) #94

These are very old studies, 50 and 76 years respectively, and Key’s study used men under 35 in a healthy weigh range (consciencious objectors in place of military service) - he had no intetest in obesity per se.

I would hope there are more recent and more targeted studies.