First week keto warriors, How's it going?

(Candy Lind) #13

That’s my FIL’s motto! I miss the old geezer - haven’t seen him in ages and we could lose him soon. :confused: He’s 96.

(Doug) #14

Hey Freak. I drive a good bit, too, and was also used to skipping breakfast. My first week was last April, took a little getting used to, but worked well and that first weight loss is the fastest and easiest - was 50 lbs. in 5 months. No working out for me, and exercise was only sporadic, on the job.

Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis had scared me, and I was determined to push it - included some fasts right away, 2 or 3 days, then up to 5. Never really felt truly bad, and the good feeling from the loss of girth more than made up for what was there. Only one time - the 3rd day of my first 5 day fast - did I feel cold; feet were a little cool one night.

After a while the weight loss slows down, and for me the challenge is to stay on the program. Totally sold on the concept, though - reduce insulin levels and insulin resistance, and the good things then just come.

(Amanda Reed) #15

Greetings I am brand new to the forum. I’ve been Keto for “3 weeks”, however the first two weeks I sabotaged myself and had two cheat meals. I have been strict Keto for a full week. I’ve always been a “eat every 2-3 hours” kinda person and find that I still get hungry after about 3 hours? Is this ok? I’ve never had an eating disorder but definitely have had a bad relationship with food in the past so I feel that my hunger signals are a bit off. I also have borderline hypoglycemia where I get shaky if I don’t eat. I also have experienced the on again/off again energy levels. Today particularly has been a bad day for energy. I’m very tired today.

(Candy Lind) #16

Let’s start over, OK? We can better help you if we know more. Age, ht, wt, list of what you ate yesterday if it’s a good example of your “normal,” calories if you know them. From there we can give you pointers.

Right off, if you have no energy, take in more salt. Two things you cannot fear in this way of eating are fat and salt. Salt shortage is the main cause of “keto flu.”

(Amanda Reed) #17

Haha that would help wouldn’t it. I am 30 year old female, 5’2”, 160 pounds, 31-33% body fat. Yesterday’s food:

Breakfast:
Coffee w/ hwc & collogen
2 large eggs, 2 bacon, 1-2 oz avocado

Lunch: Keto chili w/ sour cream & shredded cheese

Dinner: hamburger patty w/ salad with homemade Keto blue cheese dressing. Yesterday I did not have any snacks with me but sometimes I’ll have deviled eggs, macadamia nuts

My macros are 1467 calories: 18 carb, 92 protein, 114 fat

(Candy Lind) #18

Sounds like you are eating great, but if you are still hungry, eat more fat. Don’t worry a lot about calories, worry about eating til satisfied. You have to eat enough to 1) kill cravings & 2) not be hungry for a while after you eat. This is in order to retrain your hunger/satiety signals. Suggestions: add more of whatever fat you cooked the eggs in. Add mayo or olive oil to the avocado. Add more sour cream or butter or oil to the chili. Slather butter or mayo on the burger or add oil to the salad. Things like that. You will get fuller faster and automatically start eating less with the addition of fat. And try not to be scale-centric for a while; look for NSVs like more energy, measurement changes and the like. It will ALL happen! KCKO.

THIS will come in handy.

(Amanda Reed) #19

Thank you for your tips. It’s hard to change my mindset that to lose weight I have to eat more lol.

(Candy Lind) #20

It took me a while! Once I found this place, I started upping my fat, & with the first 2 caloric increases I had “whoosh” weight losses!

(Renee Slaughter) #21

Me too. I was following the caloric recommendations for MFP. Freaking out when I was over. Read a post or 2 here and I tried not counting calories. Wow does it work. Now I’m meh about calories. I am serious about 20 grams of carbs.

(Vijay Bhakta) #22

Day 5 for me and the irritability kicked in. For some reason I was not my usual chilled self but I countered that with 2 glasses of red, it took my carb intake to over 30g, but I felt I deserved it as I have dropped 7lb in a week.

Find I am not hungry but am falling into the routine trap of… its lunchtime so I will eat… but all within reason.

I now have a normal coffee with cream for breakfast along with a Keto cake/brownie, then some bacon and an egg for lunch. Its the hidden carbs in stuff I really like such as mushrooms, onions and garlic which push me over the limit, but its early days and I am learning loads

(Amanda Reed) #23

Oh I know! I’ve always been big in dieting and cutting calories to 1200 :roll_eyes:. It’s been hard to not continuously thinking about it.

I lost 50 pounds already cutting calories. But after a year to loose weight my 6"1 250lb body could only loose a pound a week if I worked out hard at least a hour and a half a day. Only eat 1500 to 1600 calories. It worked for sure. But I was litterly starving with pains in my stomach anytime I was awake. I realized I can’t do it any longer defiantly not for the rest of my life. This makes sense my hunger is lower and it’s only the first week. So I’m not logging now because I don’t want to sabatoge by counting calories.

(Renee Slaughter) #25

I too was trapped on Calories on Calories out. Try the search window. There is a thread here with the research. Had to read it a couple of times but I understand calories may not be what we understand it to be. It matters very much to some. But to others not so mucb

It made sense to me when I heard Richard. Don’t know what podcast. But he kinda went on a rant and said we all think that excess calories mean instant fat. That’s what I thought also. I don’t remember exactly what he said but this is something like it. If we eat extra calories why do we assume it goes to fat. How do we know our bodies won’t turn the temperature up to burn extra calories to make up for it. We have no idea what our bodies are capable of and how they can use the energy. Made total sense to me. I thought at that moment. I will not worry about calories. Even though I have to remind myself daily still.

I wouldn’t think sabatoge yourself. It happened already it’s in the past keep moving. If this is a lifestyle then I will have a day full of carbs at some point. I don’t know when and I hope I’ll be able to not feel guilty. I would say you’ve been keto for 3 weeks now. As for the eat every 3 hours maybe your body needs fuel more often. IIve been doing IF before I even knew it was a thing. All my life I’ve hated breakfast so I can easily skip breakfast. Maybe since we are newbs still. Try to push to 3 and a half hours for some days. Then 4 hours. See how your body responds. If it’s a mental thing or a physical thing.

(Kelly Denton) #28

I am a Newbie on the journey too and have had some ups and downs. I am a 30yo female, 5’3’’ and 186lbs. I feel as though I’ve tried every “diet” on the face of the earth and had some results that would revert right back. I too had a hard time knocking the CICO method of eating especially when everyone around me is always “how many calories do you eat? You shouldn’t have that much oil on your salad. I can’t believe you eat that much bacon. Why don’t you just eat less and work out?” ugh… :persevere: Since starting my keto journey a month ago, I’m down 8lb (total water weight) but I’m able to fast about 15-17 hours and be completely fine.

I binge listen to 2KD on my commute and try to look up and soak in all information from these forums! They’ve been a godsend!! I typically do a BPC in the morning (6:30am) with brain octane oil and a tbsp. of fiber supplement. (I stick to net carbs <20g) This keeps me going until a delicious meal of eggs with hwc, bacon bits, swiss cheese, some spinach, and chicken or pork sausage links around 11ish. Then if I’m hungry, I sip homemade bone broth. Then I’m good to go until about 7:30 or 8 and have a small dinner. I am slowly working towards reducing my intake and pushing my feeding window smaller and smaller. I will say the biggest item I missed in my research was the SALT INTAKE. Holy Hell fire I felt horrible for my 2-3 week before reading about ketoade. Now I’ve upped that and feeling like a new woman!! It’s been a journey full of adjustments but the beauty is to constantly be aware of what works for you and your body N=1. Take suggestions from all the amazing people on this forum and make them work for you! KCKO :bacon:

Keep fighting brother. Just watch things that have carbs. Everything else for the next few weeks eat guilty free as much as u want. To get fat adaptive and off the carbs. Keep coming back.

(mary6aros) #30

:frowning::confounded:I’m sorry, I know it is hard.

???

(mary6aros) #32

I was responding to CandyLind. She’s close to losing her FIL soon.