First week keto warriors, How's it going?

I’ve been pretty strict keto for a week now. I’ve been skipping breakfast because I’m used to it. I’ve been doing IF for a few years now. Was doing like 18 and 6 but was thinking of doing 24 hours now. I got the keto flu. Hunger hasn’t gone down but I can deal with it. Small headaches. Bonking/gassing then to full energy then back to bonking. Working out everyday but not a lot of power or endurance so I’m doing walking or something easy like that. Smelled chocolate cake in my truck today which was weird since I never have had anything like that in my semi. Finally going to the bathroom to crap has been a whole new experience. Feels like there shouldn’t be so much coming out bad the smell could kill someone lol. How about others how u doing. Check in so we can see we aren’t alone.

(Candy Lind) #2

You shouldn’t be hungry. Eat more. And the headaches and bonking are signs of not enough salt. Track your salt at first; go for 5 grams if you can make it, but at least 4. KCKO! :+1:t2::grin:

(mary6aros) #3

:point_up_2:What she said, otherwise sounds like you’re doing great! We had that “other” issue at our house a little while back, but my stepson is currently dealing with it now, (poor boy) since on the weekend he goes back to eating poorly at his buddies’ houses. I didn’t hydrate or salt properly after the Zornfast, snd I just had to fix the opposite issue. :sweat_smile: Are you an OTR or local driver? My husband is a local materials driver.

(Stephanie Sablich) #4

Bahahahaha, um. Yeah. I feel like I need to just succumb to a life of living alone.

(mary6aros) #5

Ahahaha! This just made my day!!! Nope, though, I’ve got a couple in the house that do that ( not me, cause mine doesn’t stink,:rofl::rofl::rofl::yum:)

(Samantha ) #6

Hi there, on day 8 of my keto journey and I am 100% with you on the full energy and then 100% none! My husband is the same! On Sunday he cleaned and scrubbed every inch of our refrigerator and freezer because he needed a detailed project and wanted to get us more organized…six hours later we had reorganized our entire kitchen like it was nothing…Monday we could barely find the energy to cook dinner! I find that my endurance is great one day…and complete crap the next when working out. The nasty smells seem like part of the process…sadly. It must have something to do with detoxing all the crud out of the system. I also had a really bad breakout the first few days that cleared up after sticking through the “keto flu”. Best of luck on your journey!

(Candy Lind) #7

It’s exciting to find more drivers on here! I team OTR with my hubby when I’m on the truck, but I’ve been home for a year exercising and losing weight to control arthritis (bad knee) & leg pain. Hoping to go back out soon and get my hubby on keto!

I’m not fat adapted yet so I figured that’s why I’m hungry. But I think im way off on the salt I don’t know I’ll measure tonight for dinner and reply tomorow how it works thanks.

(Candy Lind) #9

If you’re an overeater like me, then you might still be “hungry” when you’re full. Tracking can help with this. Over-eating at a few meals (sans carbs) is better than under-eating at this point in your journey.

I’m a local driver. I did OTR for 2 years and spent most the time in the northeast area. Smoked 3 packs a day and weighed 310 pounds. Off nicotine now and 255 pounds. Now I drive local in Chicago land. OTR was fun but I got 2 kids and most importantly because of my area I make more the I could of made otr.
Since I did low calorie for the 50 pounds. I’m used to hunger pains. So the hunger I’m feeling isn’t cravings or mental hunger most the time. It starts before bed and kicks in when I wake up. I can deal with it though to get through the flu

Sprinkled 5 grams on my food last night. Today I had some hunger when I woke up but after some water I have felt fine all day. Hunger pains here and there but it’s mental hunger because I keep saying I should be hungry no way the salt helped. Then I’m hungry for half an hour until I stop thinking about it. Lots more energy bonking now around lunch but after my 30 minute break will see if I recover some energy.

(Candy Lind) #12

Keep it up, you’ll get the balance right! I’m out of balance right now, too, so I’m having butter coffee to stop my growling tummy, then I’m going to see if I can make mid-afternoon before my feed using a distraction technique I enjoy - shopping! :rofl: I have a color laser printer and a Foodsaver in my sights. :innocent:

(Candy Lind) #13

That’s my FIL’s motto! I miss the old geezer - haven’t seen him in ages and we could lose him soon. :confused: He’s 96.

(Doug) #14

Hey Freak. I drive a good bit, too, and was also used to skipping breakfast. My first week was last April, took a little getting used to, but worked well and that first weight loss is the fastest and easiest - was 50 lbs. in 5 months. No working out for me, and exercise was only sporadic, on the job.

Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis had scared me, and I was determined to push it - included some fasts right away, 2 or 3 days, then up to 5. Never really felt truly bad, and the good feeling from the loss of girth more than made up for what was there. Only one time - the 3rd day of my first 5 day fast - did I feel cold; feet were a little cool one night.

After a while the weight loss slows down, and for me the challenge is to stay on the program. Totally sold on the concept, though - reduce insulin levels and insulin resistance, and the good things then just come.

(Amanda Reed) #15

Greetings I am brand new to the forum. I’ve been Keto for “3 weeks”, however the first two weeks I sabotaged myself and had two cheat meals. I have been strict Keto for a full week. I’ve always been a “eat every 2-3 hours” kinda person and find that I still get hungry after about 3 hours? Is this ok? I’ve never had an eating disorder but definitely have had a bad relationship with food in the past so I feel that my hunger signals are a bit off. I also have borderline hypoglycemia where I get shaky if I don’t eat. I also have experienced the on again/off again energy levels. Today particularly has been a bad day for energy. I’m very tired today.

(Candy Lind) #16

Let’s start over, OK? We can better help you if we know more. Age, ht, wt, list of what you ate yesterday if it’s a good example of your “normal,” calories if you know them. From there we can give you pointers.

Right off, if you have no energy, take in more salt. Two things you cannot fear in this way of eating are fat and salt. Salt shortage is the main cause of “keto flu.”

(Amanda Reed) #17

Haha that would help wouldn’t it. I am 30 year old female, 5’2”, 160 pounds, 31-33% body fat. Yesterday’s food:

Breakfast:
Coffee w/ hwc & collogen
2 large eggs, 2 bacon, 1-2 oz avocado

Lunch: Keto chili w/ sour cream & shredded cheese

Dinner: hamburger patty w/ salad with homemade Keto blue cheese dressing. Yesterday I did not have any snacks with me but sometimes I’ll have deviled eggs, macadamia nuts

My macros are 1467 calories: 18 carb, 92 protein, 114 fat

(Candy Lind) #18

Sounds like you are eating great, but if you are still hungry, eat more fat. Don’t worry a lot about calories, worry about eating til satisfied. You have to eat enough to 1) kill cravings & 2) not be hungry for a while after you eat. This is in order to retrain your hunger/satiety signals. Suggestions: add more of whatever fat you cooked the eggs in. Add mayo or olive oil to the avocado. Add more sour cream or butter or oil to the chili. Slather butter or mayo on the burger or add oil to the salad. Things like that. You will get fuller faster and automatically start eating less with the addition of fat. And try not to be scale-centric for a while; look for NSVs like more energy, measurement changes and the like. It will ALL happen! KCKO.

THIS will come in handy.

(Amanda Reed) #19

Thank you for your tips. It’s hard to change my mindset that to lose weight I have to eat more lol.

(Candy Lind) #20

It took me a while! Once I found this place, I started upping my fat, & with the first 2 caloric increases I had “whoosh” weight losses!