First time here

(Troy Mitchell) #1

So I have been on keto for about 4 weeks since my a1c crept to 7.3. I have been keeping my carbs below 25 and exercising 3 times a week. I am down 21 lbs and my blood sugar has not been above 106 without medication. From all the diabetics I have talked with, this is the route I should be on.

I just wanted to say hi and hope I can help.

(Robert C) #2

Hi @Reyort ,

FYI - Unless you are very obese (like 300+ pounds) you are probably losing weight too fast (eating keto foods but actually calorie restricting). The first 2 months of fat-adaptation generally are about increasing metabolism with very low carb, moderate protein and fat to satiety (which probably isn’t happening with such a large weight loss). It also depends on how much of that 21 pounds was just water weight.

So, if you are not logging food, you might want to start and ensure you are fat-adapting (increasing metabolism and on a good keto path with a reasonable calorie intake) vs. calorie restricting (and heading toward a bounce / weight regain with slowed metabolism forcing it above your initial weight).

(Troy Mitchell) #3

Well I am north of 300 lbs so yes I am obese. I do log my food and my fat intake is between 65 and 75 percent, protein is around 25 percent and carbs are less than 25 grams. I usually eat about 2000 calories and I stay full most of the day. I tested my urine and according to it I am in ketosis (3.0-4.0).

I feel good and have steady stable energy throughout the day. I haven’t felt this good in a long time.

(Polly) #4

Hi. Welcome to the world of keto and this forum.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #5

Hi Troy! Welcome! #bestplaceontheweb

Hi Troy! I want to lose about 60 lbs and if I was doing what you are doing that would already be one third! Wow. But instead, I am eating well and have only lost around 4 kilos (8 lbs) in 2 months. I am taking it slow. I have heard that people who are more obese lose faster, but I do fear this is water weight when it goes so quickly. Even so, that is a lot less weight to schlepp around and of course that must feel great when gone, so I also congratulate you to this wonderful accomplishment. So welcome to the world of keto and this forum - I am sure you are feeling much better ( I did too and some illnesses I had disappeared ). I am in this for the long haul and never intend to go back if I can help it, so I guess that is why I have to enjoy this way of eating for the rest of my life, and refuse to be too hard on myself. Its not even a “diet” like the many many MANY diets I have tried before. I`ll Iive like this from now on. So maybe this is why I am in no rush…

(Rebecca ) #7

Hello, and welcome!! :grin:

I join the others in welcoming you and wishing you well.

I’m nearly 2 years keto and feel great for a 67 year old. While my family supports keto, they do not participate, which has made it a bit more difficult. But the only incentive you need is to remember how bad you felt before.

You’re off to a great start!

(Jane) #9

Welcome!

(Susan) #10

Welcome to the forum Troy and good luck on your Keto journey.

(Brandy) #11

Welcome Troy!

(Troy Mitchell) #12

I realize that 20 lbs of it was water weight. This week I lost 2 lbs which is closer to ideal weight loss. My chiropractor said most of it was tied in inflammation and now that I am not eating inflammatory foods, that water has to be flushed out. I don’t care what it is. I feel better and now I look forward to exercising.

(Kathy Timmons) #13

Welcome Troy! It just gets better and better.

(Shane) #14

That’s really dangerous. Do you know you could strain a face muscle from being happy and smiling too much?
And I’m sure that rapidly- reducing HbA1c, wear on joints, lowering BP, inflammation, being able to feel safe picking up grand kids now instead of some time in the future, pick up anything safely, feel good, increasing energy and so on, must be really bad for you.

(Marianne) #15

That’s awesome. So happy you are liking keto and seeing results.

FYI, I detest exercise - cardio, anyway, and don’t do it. The beauty of keto is that you don’t have to - unless you enjoy it - and still lose weight. I have been on keto almost a year and never exercised once until I started to go to Planet Fitness for the 30-minute workout. That wasn’t until November.

I only mention this in case you don’t really enjoy exercising.

Welcome to the forum!

(Troy Mitchell) #16

I do the 30 minute workout there as well.

(Marianne) #17

Actually, I do more like two “15-minute workouts.” I don’t do the stepping, just the weights twice. Don’t like cardio. It’s so great to go in, do your thing, and the total time there and with travel doesn’t even amount to an hour.

(Troy Mitchell) #18

I kind of vary it up each time I go. I usually start win 10 minutes on the treadmill to get the blood flowing, then move on to other exercises. I am trying to condition myself before I do any serious work out. I hate the seating pain of the “first” workout so I am slowly easing in.

(Daniel Riggs) #19

Great job, Reyort. Although I was not greatly overweight, I had a lot of fat around the middle. What they call skinny fat. I was diagnosed diabetic and really had trouble keeping my blood sugar regulated. I tried the Mediterranean diet. I still had trouble with my glucose levels for the longest time when I found dietdoctor.com and found out about the keto diet and lifestyle. It has reversed my diabetes. My last check up had my blood sugar reading normal. My blood pressure is great, now - it was getting high. My point is, do your own research but the ketogenic lifestyle is what God created our bodies for. You’ll run into bumps and times when you “fall off the wagon” but get back on and it becomes a natural part of your day.

(Susan) #20

Welcome to the forum, Daniel, I am glad that you are enjoying Keto -best wishes on the rest of your journey =).