First extended fast

(Tim) #1

Today I decided to start my first true extended fast this week. I’ve been doing intermittent fasting by skipping breakfast for the last few months with very good results. And switching to a keto WoE around the same time has made missing breakfast that much easier.

My goal is 5+ days, breaking the fast sometime Saturday Nov 14. I also plan to take in a little fat in the way of butter and/or coconut oil in my coffee but otherwise, just water, tea, coffee, and electrolytes as needed.

The main question I have is regarding vitamins and whether or not they’re necessary. I don’t normally take any kind of vitamin supplements but is it advised when fasting for any length of time?

Thanks in advance for any helpful feedback or support.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #2

I stopped taking vitamins a few months ago, so I no longer take vitamins during a fast no matter how long I do it so far.

@tsyork, I did 33 day fast in November/December. Just had water, coffee, tea…no sweetener or cream. Had a cup broth about once per week and took a multivitamin twice per week (but I didn’t start doing that until about 2 weeks into the fast). A couple times I did have a tablespoon of cream in a coffee, when I was out at a cafe with a friend (to take the edge off of crappy char tasting coffee :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) I did no fat supplementation.

I’m on a 7 day fast now. Water, coffee, tea…and that’s it…no cream or sweetener. Also no bone broth or vitamins. No fat supplementation.

For me…who doesn’t do any eating (like eggs or fat supplementation) during long fasts (like a month), I will consider taking a multivitamin twice per week. But, will only do that after passing two first weeks of no vitamin dosing at all.

Short extended fasts…one week and shorter, I don’t consider taking any vitamins.

This works for me. I hope you discover what works for you.

By the way, I’m on day 4 of 7 extended fast. Details posted here:
7 day fast

(Joel Abdul) #4

In Dr. Fung’s fasting book, he recommends a daily multivitamin. He sites the dude that went 364 days fasted with just a multivitamin.

Good luck with the fast!

In a 5 day time frame, the things you’ll most likely need are electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium especially, possibly calcium) and maybe some B-vitamins. If you’re not already taking any other vitamins or minerals, you probably won’t need to start now. I’ve also found that I get strong cravings for particular foods towards the end of a fast. That’s probably an indication of what my body needs, nutrient-wise.

(Tim) #6

Thank you. I’ll post updates as the week progresses.

(Tim) #7

Day 2 of 5

First day of fast went pretty well. Had black coffee in the morning and coffee with butter and coconut oil at lunch. Nothing else but water for the rest of the day.

Felt fine most of the day until about 10pm when hunger reared its ugly head. Fortunately, it wasn’t too strong and I was able to get to sleep without any problem. Slept fine through the night.

Woke up this morning feeling no different that usual. Ketones measured 1.5, blood glucose 86 (up from 68 yesterday morning). Depending how I feel through the day, will try to limit myself to water, coffee and tea only. We’ll see how the day goes.

(Joel Abdul) #8

@tsyork Awesome! Sounds like your doing well :+1:

(Tim) #9

Day 3 of 5

Second and third day went well. Limited myself to water, coffee, and tea throughout the day, although today I added some Ketoaid (thanks @Brenda!) and took a B12 vitamin.

This morning ketones were at 4 and BG at 68. Tonight’s BG is 68 (too low?). My mind is clear and I’m feeling good overall, however, there’s always at least a little bit of hunger and at times my stomach can get really loud. I’m finding the hunger much easier to deal with than I expected it would be.

One thing I’m realizing is how much of my time is spent thinking about the next meal or how easily it is to succumb to the temptation to eat when the smell of food is in the air. I expect the process of fighting off the temptation during the fast will have beneficial effects once it’s over, especially where snacks are concerned. I’d be curious to know if others have had the same experience.

It gets better. In my day 6 of 7 days fasting, I wasn’t hungry at all. I was hungry in the earlier days.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #11

YES. Definately. Fasting has given me a confidence over diet I have never had before.

(Tim) #12

I actually noticed a complete lack of hunger when I got up this morning, although I was very thirsty. It may sound odd but I’'m pretty excited about this. I wish I could continue into the 6th or 7th day but maybe at a later date.

(đ૯αท ʍ૯ઽƬѳท) #13

Is there a reason you have to break it?

Your body will tell you when it needs to eat…

(Tim) #14

I actually had to break it after 4 days due to a Friday commitment I’d forgotten about that included eating and drinking (a friend’s 50th). Even so, the four days went well and I will definitely be doing it again but for a longer timeframe.

The 4th and last day went really well. Felt some hunger during the day but found it pretty easy to keep at bay. My head was clear throughout and I didn’t experience the “hanger” that is often described. My numbers at the end were good. Ketones measured 1.5 and BS in the morning and evening was around 70. Pretty encouraged about the BS.

Thanks for everyone’s input. It’s all extremely helpful.

(Sara Tuliano Dawson) #15

What are some signs your body will tell you it needs to eat? Does hunger that doesn’t go away 45 min count and being tired with exercise? I’m on my first extended fast right now (day 4)… the other three days I played soccer and did strength workouts without feeling tired but today’s game/workout were a real struggle plus the extended feeling of hunger. I plan on breaking it tomorrow.

(Laurie) #16

I know it’s late but I just finished Dr. Fung’s Complete Guide to Fasting and he says it’s okay to feel hunger, but if you feel sick you need to eat. He also talks about hunger coming in waves so if you ride it out, hunger should subside. I hope your fast went well.
I’m in my first one now, four days in, and planning to end tomorrow.

(Jo Lo) #17

I just finished an 85 hour fast, without hunger. Towards the end I felt unusually cold, especially lying in bed at night (had to turn on the electric blanket).

That’s when I knew it was time top stop fasting.

(Sara Tuliano Dawson) #18

Thanks! How did breaking your first fast go? Mine was uneventful (a good thing!)

(Laurie) #19

Mine was uneventful also. I ate a small pack of nuts in late afternoon and then a regular dinner. No ill effects and no ravenous eating. Glad yours was also uneventful.

(Bev Normile) #20

So I’m on my first day of my first extended fast. Goal…weight loss.
I’ve done intermittent fasting a lot. I’ve lost close to 100 lbs and have about 50 60 lbs more.
I want to try extended fasting to try to get this weight off for once and for all. I’d like to be done by March 2018.
How long should I do this fast? Will having to work full time make it harder? What should I expect? And can I have coffee? Do I need anything besides water?