First 24 hour fast

newbies

(Muffy Young) #1

Yesterday! yay. I had tried a few times, only got to about 16 hours. Yesterday, I went the whole day. I drank lots of water, had a teaspoon of coconut oil at about 20 hours. So nice to know I can do it.
My post fast meal was Kale, turnips, and a little chicken cacciatore, with a pat of butter on top. This was an hour after about 10 almonds.

(Stephanie Hanson) #2

WTG!!! You’re keto warrior.

(matt ) #3

If you time it so the hours around 16-18 are when you are asleep you will find it easier to break thru that point. Many find it the hardest.

I aim to do a 24hr fast every Mon and have been for a number of months, now I find my body saying “I don’t want anything on a Mon until 19:00” even when I am holiday. Practice as Dr Jason Fung says :slight_smile:

(Stephanie Hanson) #5

I just finished 164 hrs. I totally attribute my ability to get past the first 48 hrs to timing the beginning a bit more strategically.

awesome achievement :thumbsup:

(Andy) #7

Congrats! I completed my first 24 hour fast yesterday (only had coffee in the morning and again in the evening). Was a little scared going into it but it was WAY less painful than I anticipated. Will continue to do this and hopefully extend to 2 days and longer in the future. Just wanted to share with the community as I have no one else to share this with :slight_smile:

(Mike Glasbrener) #8

I returned from a holiday where it was tough to manage insulin levels because of sleep, stress and food. I managed to mostly not gain weight. However, I was losing weight pretty quickly prior to the holiday (~3.5lbs/wk and I have ~60 to get to a challenging goal). Also, I have been reading Fung’s fasting book which has been inspirational. I’m about 40% of the way done with the book. I had been planning to do more than a 16hr fast “at some point”. Well, this morning I decided today is the day! I finished dinner last night @ 6pm. When I weighed myself this morning I was a little frustrated. It’s not a big deal, but frustrated to action. I decided to IF 16/8 today and not eat breakfast. Between breakfast and lunch I decided to “blow off” lunch. However, today was the day when 3 coworkers said “Let’s go to lunch”. I agreed. However, I told them I wouldn’t eat. So we wen to a Mexican restaurant and the three of them ate while I had water. It was my way of making the fasting more of a mental challenge to see if I could do it. I enjoyed the company and wasn’t really affected by their eating. So I need to get through 4 more hours to get to 24hrs. If it isn’t too bad tonight I may see if I can stretch it out to 36hrs.

KCKO!

(James) #9

I can’t agree more. I just finished a 72 hour fast, it was my 4th fast I’ve done, and I can speak from experience that timing the start is a big plus for me. I started my first 3 fasts around 10am so I’d be asleep when that 18-24 hour hunger wave hit and things went pretty smoothly.

This last fast I started after finishing dinner around 11pm and the next day that 18-24 hour time point wasn’t fun. Not unbearable but difficult. I’m planning on doing a weekly 72 hour fast for a few weeks and I’ll be much more careful with my starting time from now on!

(Mike Glasbrener) #10

I managed to stretch it out to 36 hrs. I’ll break and eat breakfast this morning in a little bit. My sons HS graduation is today. There will be celebratory meals… Otherwise I’d see how long I could go. I’m actually not starving. It seems that pattern eating is more of an issue than true hunger. Once I recognized that it was a discipline and mental thing. I will do this again. It was a fun mental challenge. It made a 2.8 lb difference which I know is mostly water. However, I was looking for a “reset” after my daughters graduation and family visit.

(Jess) #11

Hi everyone!

I completed my first 24 hour fast on Friday of last week and today will be my second. I’m looking to fasting Mon, Wed and Friday and am wondering if anyone else has had success with this?

I drink water, tea and an amino acid + caffeine drink while fasting.

Also, has anyone had success with fasting when they didn’t have a lot of weight to lose? I’m doing it for health benefits + fat loss but am only looking to lose about 7-10 lbs at most.

Thoughts?

Congrats!

I’ve been doing the Mon. Wed, Fri version of IF for almost six weeks now. I allowed myself fatty coffees and broths the first month, this month I’m trying for plain tea and broth. It helped me a kick a plateau and I lost around 6 lbs.

As far as that last 10 lbs., I’d say give it a try. You can always try an extended fast later if that doesn’t work.

(Jess) #13

Thanks for sharing your experience @gatita !
Congrats on kicking your plateau! Will you continue fasting now that you’re over it?
I feel like fasting could easily be a forever lifestyle change for me. I’ve been doing so much research and even if I stop losing weight the hormonal, insulin sensitivity, cancer fighting and anti-aging benefits all seem worth it.

Plus I really don’t find it that hard and I’m supposedly in the hardest part of it.
I’m looking forward to seeing if I get any results from this - I’ll let you know!

(Tim) #14

I’ve been doing keto for about 5 weeks now. I’m down ~20lbs, but the majority of that has happened in two intermittent weeks. I’ve been flat for most of my time. I felt this weekend that I’ve moved into an adapted stage almost overnight. I woke up and was shocked at how I felt. I’ve been flat since then even with a high fat to protein and lower caloric intake. So, today on my way into work, I decided I was going to try a fast and see how far I get. I had my BPC at ~0530 which was the first thing since dinner at about 7PM last night. It’s 11 now and am feeling really good with just water. We’ll see how far I get, but, I find it so fascinating at what my body reacts to mentally. I find the cravings to eat at my normal hours interesting, even though my stomach is telling me I’m not hungry. The whole process of this WOE and new regiment is great for me. I have a long ways to go, but, I feel that this is the best lifestyle we could be doing now. Thank you all who participate in this forum and share your experiences! Also, to the 2 Keto Dudes, you guys are saving lives, whether you know it or not! Keep calm and Keto on!

Yes! I just seem to keep doing it naturally… it’s pretty easy, isn’t it? And as you point out, the preventative health benefits alone are worth it.

Plus I just weighed and I actually lost nine pounds in six weeks! So I’m sold. Also going to attempt a 3-day ZornFast this month, but if I don’t like it, I’ll just go back to my version of alternate-day fasting. It’s life-changing for me.

Yeah, that’s true for me, too. Keep up the good work!

(Tim) #17

So, I did the fast for 24hrs just as a test for myself. Never felt hungry or that my body needed to eat. Couple of things I noticed. 1) I felt my sense of smell went into hyper-drive. It was wild what I could smell and decipher while walking past people in the office who were eating at their desks. 2) I felt my body temp, or perceived body temp change. I’m a big guy, so, I always sweat as I’m always hot. To many nerve endings… I have a new truck and since the day I bought it, I’ve had the A/C set at 72F. Since it’s new, I know the regulating controls are spot on for the climate. When I got in about 22 hours into the fast, I had to bump up the temp to 76F because I was freezing at 72F. I noticed the warm water in the bathroom while washing my hands in the afternoon felt better/warmer than usual.

After this test was a success (in my book), I’m planning on a 72hr fast this coming Monday after a weekend of feasting to build up the metabolism in front of the fast. Should be interesting. Hope I make it the full time.

(Jess) #18

That’s what I love about this vs. CICO… with counting calories it always felt like it should be temporary… then what would have happened when I stopped?! I was not happy living that way.

This on the other hand feels like a lifestyle and an easy one at that. Today I’m attempting a 36 hour fast… just to see if I can! Currently at 15.5 hours and feeling great :smiley:

Fast on everyone!

Nice! I haven’t tried going beyond 24 hours yet. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the tip! I’ll use this when I Zornfast.