First 24 hour fast

newbies

(Tim) #21

Good luck Jess!

(Jess) #22

Thanks everyone!

Hereā€™s the updateā€¦ I DID IT! 36 hours in the bag as of right now :smiley:

I find it so amazing that 2-3 weeks ago I thought Iā€™d feel sick, weak and lethargic if I didnā€™t eat for 5 hours and now I just went 36 consecutive hours with nothing more than tea, water and an amino acid drink. Humans are awesome!

So hereā€™s the lowdown for those looking to also do this:

The easiest part: All of it pretty much! I was surprised at how easy it was

The hardest part: Hours 24-26 which was around 10:00pm last night, when I was trying to go to bed. This was the first and only time by belly was actually grumbling but I still managed to fall asleep and sleep okay

I find the biggest thing with fasting is your mentality and your attitude. I could sit at my desk and whine that Iā€™m hungry and dream of cheeseburgers or I could be confident in my ability to persevere, be amazed at my bodies lack of need for food in a short time span and feel great knowing the benefits that are coming from this!

Sorry for the novel everyone but wanted to share my experience. Iā€™ll likely do 30-36 hours once a week or once every two weeks depending on how I feel and just if I want to!

Tomorrow is my first weigh-in since starting ADF last Friday so another update coming your way tomorrow :slight_smile:

Happy fasting!

(Tim) #23

Look at you go Jess! Congrats. I felt the exact same way this week when I did my first 24. The hardest part for me was the mental aspect where, I wasnā€™t hungry, but my brain was telling me that I needed to eat because ā€œit was timeā€. I read on here that hour 16 seem to be the hardest, so, you hit 22-24 which was well past that. You nailed it! They also suggest starting a fast mid-morning, so that those really hard late 24hr hours you are asleep. I never thought about that, but, I think thatā€™s what Iā€™m going to do next time.

Did your extremities get colder at all? I felt a dramatic temperature difference. Curious to know if you felt the same?

Keep it up, you are doing great!

(Jess) #24

Thanks Tim!

I think I would start earlier next time, but earlier in the evening, not the morning. Less to control the hunger, more so that the end of my fast better aligns with my natural breakfast (I love breakfast :smiley: ) but thank you for the helpful suggestion, Iā€™ve read that a few times also so must be some merit to it!

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that. I find myself much colder on any fast days, especially my hands and feet. I did notice my fingernails had a slight bluish colouring which I will keep an eye on. Maybe added vitamin C or something would help my circulation? Any ideas anyone?

Thanks for your support!

Ps. after this I totally feel confident I could do 2 or 3 days but deciding if I feel itā€™s necessary. I find it a kinda fun challenge just to see if I can

(Tim) #25

I almost wonder if the extremity deal is basis the body conserving itā€™s known energy and restricting/shutting down things a bit. Maybe blood flow. Not sure what would solve that except for maybe thinning blood somehow? Not eating a lot of greens beforehand that thickens blood, like spinach and kale? I donā€™t know.

It sounds like weā€™re in a similar place. Fasting is intriguing and fun and doable!

(Jess) #27

I did a little digging and found this from Brad Pilons ā€œEat-Stop-Eatā€:

ā€œFasting increases the blood flow to your body fat (the process is called adipose tissue blood flow). So when you are fasting more blood is travelling to your body fat, presumably to help move it to your muscles where it can be burned as a fuel. Do to this increased travel to your body fat, micro-vasodilation occurs in your fingertips and sometimes toes to compensate. So in some cases itā€™s a ā€˜necessary evilā€™ in the fat loss process.ā€

Interesting!

(Jess) #28

I weighed in this morning after my first week of ADF (alternate day fasting) and unfortunately nothing has budged.
I know that thatā€™s okay because itā€™s only been a week and these things take time but I canā€™t help but be a tiny tiny bit discouraged.

Itā€™s okay though, Iā€™m going to keep doing my thing and try to eat a bit healthier on my up days. I think Iā€™ve been over doing it a little because Iā€™m in a bit of a ā€œOMG Im freeeeeā€ mentality after doing CICO for 3 months

The other thing is that even if I just maintain my weight and donā€™t lose, Iā€™ll probably keep this lifestyle anyways because I enjoy it and the health benefits are immense. I need to remember that this entire week I have felt so good and positive and proud of myself and I will not allow the scale to take that away from me.

So hereā€™s to not over eating this weekend and sticking to my goals regardless of what the results say! I trust the process, the change will come!

Happy Friday!