Fibre - is it the high carb diet's last straw? Keto bashing in the mainstream. "There goes the keto diet!", predicted the celebrity doctor

fibre

(Sheila) #13

I began to doubt the great FIBER MYTH when I researched diverticulitis as it is a family issue resulting in surgery for two siblings who both subscribed to the fiber will fix it mentalality.
The treatment for diverticulitis is low fiber when you have a flare up but return to high fiber when you recover but expect a flare up and return to low fiber.
Since eating a Keto WOE I have had no problems and can’t wait until my next colonoscopy ( not really) to see if any healing has happened. It would prove that diverticulitis can be reversed if I have any improvement.
Just another case of medical professionals thinking they have the answer without the science to back it up.

(Chris) #14

Couple anecdotes regarding diverticulitis:

http://meatheals.com/category/digestion/diverticulitis/

(Sheila) #15

DThanks, I always enjoy reading another’s stories of success with healthy eating. I wish I could help others to see the light. I donot look forward to hearing about my siblings latest bowel flare ups and surgery but they think I am crazy for eating this way. I think they are crazy for eating a diet that has always made them sick. Still love them but can’t fix them.

And less meat?

(Karen) #17

Lchf. The lc, because it’s veggies like broccoli, is going to be higher in fiber anyway, pretty much. It is for me anyway.

Link above to more fibre discussion and media reports on the same scientific paper.

Media reports in the UK were from January 2019.

It just took a bit longer for Dr. Swan to report on it in Australia.

(Omar) #19

Interresting

I have diverticulitis

I posted here many times that sometimes fibers help in other times they hurt.

leafy greens are wide range of vigitables some of them hurt like kale others help like lettuce.

lettuce is much better than nuts.

(Todd Allen) #20

This won’t lower avocado prices, despite being low in sugar and starch they are high in fiber.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #21

It isn’t Fung that says that it is dr Lustig in a YouTube video. He was one of the first people to come out and say that sugar is poison. He has a great lecture on this.

(KCKO, KCFO) #22

I had posted this to another thread this week… For me, it seems to be correct. Maybe not everyone.

Yes, I’ve been hearing more about this in podcasts recently as some belligerent plant-based diet proponents are watching some of their earlier nutrition hypotheses being dismantled. I think it is the current interest in the carnivore (elimination) diet that has reinvestigated the relationship between fibre in the diet and constipation. And that the wrong amount of fibre can make the constipation problem worse.

This clown was the medical expert on The Biggest Loser IIRC :roll_eyes:

Dr Swan’s rap sheet gets longer. Previously discussed: cholesterol, dementia, salt. Now add fibre. At least he encourages us to examine our own thoughts and experiences by his misaligned reporting. That is a good thing.

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/australians-canadians-dr-norman-swan-media-doctor-lowering-cholesterol/57327

(Scott O) #26

No. More meat. Mostly steak and chicken.

Robert Lustig MD (the sugar researcher who exposed the horrors of HFCS) says the same thing about fruit, in response to the fear of whole form fructose in moderation.

Omar, have you listened to the Tucker Goodrich interview on Peak Human podcast?

It has some interesting anecdotes about processed seed oils and diverticulitis.

(Omar) #29

Wow

I realy appreciate this link

I listened to the first 30 minutes. I will continue later.

I was so close to removing sections of the colon untill I start the keto diet.

My pain went down from 100 to 40%

I have a feeling that the healing process will take some time before I go back to normal.

Thanks

(Omar) #30

I listened to the full audio

I knew about omega6 but the way it was presented it realy enphysised the importance of not only reducing the omega 6 but Also improving the omega 3 intake

What I found interresting is the role of carbs and x rays in oxidizing omega 6 fats

Thanks

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) split this topic #31

A post was merged into an existing topic: Australians & Canadians - Dr. Norman Swan - media doctor - lowering cholesterol

Reversed mine!
Had to eat carnivore but no sign of diverticulitis since keto…and I had 7 emergency admissions in 3 months prior to keto. None since.