FIBER FLOUR. Holy Grail? πŸ€”πŸ˜

(Khan) #1

Hey Guys,

I thought I would share with you a little something I ordered off Amazon. Growing up, chappatis and rice have been staple foods in our household. Since starting Keto, around 6 months ago I weaned myself off rice and all the other high carb foods but my chappati craving did not completely go away!

So, I experimented with coconut flour and almond flour. I tried lots of different recipes but could not replicate the flavour and texture of a chappati. I was not expecting perfection as I know nothing can really come close to proper white chappati flour but even close would have done!

To cut the really long story short, I was randomly searching Amazon for keto stuff a week ago and came across Fiber Flour. Looked at the reviews. Seemed good. Went to their website. Looked really good with a fair few different recipes. I took the plunge for a 1kg bag for Β£7.99. Abit dear but my cravings pressed the buy button :grin:

It arrived yesterday. Bless my wife, she could really see the hope in my eyes! Ha ha. I followed the simple instructions, 100g Flour, bit of salt, water and oil. A little knead. Rolling pin. Same as you would with a chappati. Hot pan. Ta da! Chappatis! Got 2 good sized ones from the 100g of flour. Could have got 3 smaller wraps. The taste and texture was really really good! Like wholemeal flour. Ate them with some chicken and spinich curry! Mmmm.

This morning I was again excited so made a Paratha(same as a chappati but with lots of butter) and 2 fried eggs! Best breakfast I have had in a while!

100g of flour is 9g of carbs. I understand this is a bit high, but 2 chappatis or 3 wraps would make you very very full. I really could have stopped at one chappati but ate the full 2 as I usually OMAD through the weekdays.

Bottom line is I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone wanting to make Chappati, Wraps, or even biscuits and cakes for which they have recipes for on their website!

Any questions! Fire away! Thanks for reading :grin::+1:

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #2

What did you buy exactly? Can you link it? Thanks. :blush:

(Khan) #3

Fiberflour: Low Carb, High Fibre… https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FDO37K2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

They do a super-fine version. I have not used that yet, but it is supposed to be nicer for flaky pastries etc :slightly_smiling_face:

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #4

Thanks for the link. I’m curious!

Well check it out! I tolerate fiber well, unlike some peeps, so I’m gonna buy this! Only carbs are from fiber, and oat based. I hate hate hate the pork rinds for flour thing. Love pork rinds, the non-fluffy kind that’s hard and crunchy, but as a β€œflour”? Not my jam.

(Khan) #5

Please reply/update here when you have created something amazing! :grin: . I cant eat pork so have been limited in the past with using almond and coconut flour. I feel this really is a game changer! They have a digestive biscuit recipe on their website. I’m thinking of using that as a base for a cheesecake recipe? Hmmm…Only wish it was a little cheaper! :yum:

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #6

I will. It might be a while, but I will.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

If it would serve as Graham flour, you could use it directly as a cheesecake crust, surely? There are a couple of good cheesecake recipes in the Recipes forum, as well as one I found online on the Harlan Kilstein site. The keto recipes I’ve seen all substitute almond flour for Graham flour, and they do quite well.

(Karen) #8

There are all kinds of fiber flours. Could you send a link? I have used oat fiber with good success. I am very interested in trying cassava.

Here is the one I like. Honeyville oat fiber.

(Karen) #10

The one I’ve been using is 5 pounds for $20 prime shipped from Amazon. It works awfully well, but I think about the lectins, a little, and whether or not I should or should not count fiber in my carb count.

Same here. I dont use it often, or very much of it. I do wonder however if something that is labeled as zero calorie, and contains only fiber has anything in it to convert into energy in our gut. I dont count calories, but it just seems too good to be true.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #12

It’s a non-soluable fiber. It provides bulk in your gut for the most part, not energy.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #13

Since I can’t see an ingredients list I would need to know what’s in it. There are 0 carb breads that some people buy and post here that are made of fiber and wheat gluten. Which with some dough conditioners might easily fit in your diet, but wheat gluten is damaging to everybody, not just people with obvious gluten sensitivity or celiacs disease. Like @Keto6468 I am also concerned about other anti nutrients like lectins but also oxalates, phytic acids and others. I am studying this casually lately and find it interesting. Seeds are something I do not eat anymore so that’s probably the other non fiber ingredient with or without gluten in most formulas to copy wheat bread or low carb bread.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #14

When I looked up Fiber Flour on the USA Amazon, it was 100% oat fiber. Gluten free.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #15

@coffeekittie I tried to find the product he has in the picture on Amazon US and it’s a European product. Oat fiber alone can’t make a chapati. Fiber alone is like sawdust.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #16

Well damn. I don’t know then!

(Karen) #17

And while that’s true oat has a lectin that is quite similar to the lectin/gluten in wheat and is similarly damaging. This is according to Dr. Gundry, and his Plant Paradox .

Here is an interesting article
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mygenefood.com/in-defense-of-lectin-sensitivity-and-dr-gundrys-the-plant-paradox/amp/

(Full Metal KETO AF) #18

Got it. :scream:

The nutritional label you are showing is not oat fiber.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #20

@Alexia Don’t you think I know that? It’s the label of the OP’s flour he posted, and it’s first ingredient is oat bran followed by linseed meal and processed wheat products and dough conditioners. @coffeekittie posted about oat bran and @Keto6468 said she was concerned about oat bran lectins and I stated that oat bran alone can’t make a chapati. :cowboy_hat_face: