FIBER FLOUR. Holy Grail? 🤔😁

Sorry, I have no idea what you know or don’t know. :wink:

Dont take everything personally. Carry on…

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #22

Okay a few questions for you that have used Oat Flour, of whatever brand.

First off, what brand did you use ?
My GF does a lot of Keto bread baking, but has mostly used Almond Flour (or almond meal, whatever you want to call it). It tastes very good, but sometimes a little heavy / cheesy, which is great for some things, but Im thinking about something lighter, and maybe less flavor, so that it carries the flavor of the rest of the recipe, without overpowering it.

Say for my Keto Hamburger or sandwich buns… We do a recipe that calls for 1 cup of almond flour. Could we use 1 cup of this stuff as a direct replacement ? Or, maybe a half cup of each ? 1/3 and 2/3rds ? What would work / taste best ?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #23

Hey BTW, the price of this stuff in the 4 lb bag is… eh… comparable to almond flour. Then I saw the 50 lb bag right beside it for $155.99, and I was like, that’s still pretty expensive… Then I scrolled down below, and saw 50lb bags for $57.99 ! That is a great buy ! What is the difference in the $57 per 50 lb bag, and the $155 per 50 lb bag ??? Looks like the exact same stuff !

(BuckRimfire) #24

We have a jar of Sukrin FiberFin resistant starch flour. I think it might be one of the ingredients in my wife’s Keto Bread recipe. When I cook, I’ve only used it a teaspoon or two at a time when a recipe calls for cornstarch to thicken a sauce. It claims 14 grams of carbs including 9 grams of fiber per 16 grams of product, so not really very low carb!

(Khan) #25

Here is a close up.

I have used it for both chappatis and the savoury crepe recipe on the longevity website. Both have been amazing!

I just could not handle the flavour of the almond and coconut flour for wraps and chappatis. I’m fine with making sweet dessert style dishes so they wont go to waste! :+1:
I’m definitely going to buy a bigger bag. 5kilo bag for £40.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #26

@FishChris A 50# bag will get rancid before you can use it up. That’s for bakeries. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #27

That’s a whole other thing… I might consider freezing, or vacuum sealing or whatever. Plus, at that price, if we only used half of it, and threw the rest away, it would still be a better deal… Then, another thought comes to mind. We have a neighbor who is a Keto coach. Maybe she would split a bag with us, so only $28 for 25 lbs !

But hey, aside from all this, what is the difference between the $157 per 50 lb bag, and the $55 per 50 lb bag ??? Same brand, same labeling ?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #28

Greedy seller, be aware a 50# bad is huge! Probably not worth the freezer space. I would suggest getting a small amount to see if you like using it. Try a local health food store that has bulk bins. You’re going to be surprised how big one pound is. Shouldn’t cost more than a couple of dollars. You might even find some in the baking section of a grocery store. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #29

Oh, I’d ALWAYS sample a smaller bag first. Just getting tired of buying 4 lb bags of Almond flour seemingly ever other week, at $20 a bag !
Maybe I could find this stuff in medium-large bags… 12 or 15 lbs ? Even 25 lbs, if again, we could split it with our Keto neighbor ?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #30

Answered my own question… I was confusing Oat Flour and Oat Fiber. We want Oat Fiber (the more expensive stuff, of course), to end up with zero net carbs.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #31

Just ordered a 3lb bag of this to give it a shot… But even if we like it, I can’t find it in bulk for a good price anywhere :frowning:

(Khan) #32

Is this the USA version of Fibre Flour?

I dont really know - not done that much real baking with it. There is a lady on YouTube that uses it, (Kristy Sullivan) and I think she uses half oat fiber, and half other such as almond flour. I made 2 batches of keto muffins last week - one was all oat fiber, and one was half and half. The one with half/half was far the better. The oat fiber one just seemed dry. But you will have to try recipes for yourself.

I personally try to not use too much of it since I’m trying to stay away from foods that mimic carby foods. If I was younger, and in better metabolic health, I’d probably use it more often.

I also use the oat fiber mixed with spices to coat chicken before frying. Yum.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #34

TY Alexia :slight_smile: I love fake (with zero carbs) stuff that mimics real stuff :slight_smile: lol

Using the oat fiber and seasonings for frying chicken sounds great ! Will try that soon :slight_smile: Been wanting to deep fry some chicken thighs and wondering what to coat them with. Do you use anything (egg white ?) to make the seasonings stick better ?

I dont do the fake stuff too often - because I find them very good, and I’m not addicted only to carbs, I’m addicted to eating in general. Eating anything. So I try to be careful. This oat fiber is very tempting to use more widely however…

Using the fiber/seasoning mix for me is a way of seasoning the chicken, not necessarily making ‘fried chicken’. It;'s more of a dusting, not a dredging. I think you could probably get a thicker coat using egg, but I’ve never tried it. :slight_smile:

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #36

Parmesan cheese mixed into the chicken coating is tasty and works well too.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #37

Oooh yea ! That sounds bomb ! :slight_smile: TY Coffee kitties :slight_smile: