Fermented foods

(Full Metal KETO AF) #81

So probiotics added to a ferment aren’t necessary. The lactobacillus is present on virtually all vegetables on the skin. Just creating the right environment is all that’s necessary for it to thrive and multiply. Salt, temperature range, anaerobic vessel. You should get the freshest cabbage you can and make it asap.If left out at room temp for a time they start to have mold spores take hold. Most likely killed by the anaerobic environment and salt. But fresher means more juice and less water needed to supplement. I use my hands while salting in a huge mixing bowl and a rolling pin while packing. If your hands are clean it’s o.k.

(Jane) #82

I read where too little salt speeds fermentation and mold can grow.

(Omar) #83

some times the vigitable are crunchy ( not sure what is the right English word ) so

did any one try to boil the vigitables to soften them before fermenting?

I thought I added enough salt, but maybe I need more.

Virus-free.
www.avast.com

(Full Metal KETO AF) #85

You will kill the natural probiotic cultures if you boil or cook veggies so will not work. You can try cutting them finer and a longer fermentation time. Personally I like some crunch, A 3 week minimum fermentation time gives maximum culture growth and if you slice the cabbage fine it should be pretty soft. White cabbage ferments quicker than other varieties.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #86

@atomicspacebunny @Alpha I want to update what I said about killing probiotic cultures when cooking ferments. It’s a true statement but I have recently read an article which made me question the necessity for probiotic cultures to be alive when consumed. The article presented some research showing that dead fragments of probiotic bacteria act like an immunization injection of a dead virus. Your immune system can utilize the fragments to become stronger somehow. I have to try to find it and will post a link. When I cook with fermented veggies say in a stir fry I will cook all the elements of the dish, shut off the heat and mix the fermented vegetables into the food so they are just warmed but cooking with sauerkraut may not destroy all the benefits of probiotic cultures if the research article was correct. I sometimes drink an ounce of the live brine from my ferments so I have it covered on both ends, live and cooked I consume fermented vegetables several times per week.

Edit, here’s a link to an article, I’m not sure if it’s the same one I read before but it essentially says the same thing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20403231/

(Full Metal KETO AF) #87

I also want to post a quick and easy probiotic staple recipe that I always have in my refrigerator.

Paò Caí easy Chinese Fermented Cabbage