Fermented foods

Yes - a lot of folks don’t understand the differences related to human consumption. Sodium chloride industrial waste salt is totally different than the ancient sea salt deposits in caves, which contains many other minerals that nourish the body. My understanding from the book Water & Salt is that straight sodium chloride is toxic all by itself like that - it eventually builds up in the body.

There’s a huge difference between hand mined ancient cave salt purity compared to modern sea salt, for sure.

The Himalayan crystal salt company has a fair trade agreement with the traditional families who’ve hand mined the salt there for centuries. I feel very fortunate to be able to buy larger chunks of that salt to make medicinal salt water - but it comes from across the world. I’d like to buy Utah cave salt in chunks, have to investigate that…

The micro plastic subject is super depressing - and the Pacific Gyre trash area is estimated to be double the size of Texas now. Am really hoping Boyan Slat’s inventions and strategies are implemented there. The trashing of the ocean by industrial civilization is heinous - 90% of the large fish are dead. It’s my hope that clean up and restoration is possible.
https://www.theoceancleanup.com/

(Liz S) #62

Man I hope that takes off. They did find a moth larva that will actually eat polyethylene plastics which is amazing. Hopefully they can find a way to use them and the microbes that eat plastics to start dealing with this ridiculously huge plastic problem we have.

YES. Truly amazing, that moth larva that eats those plastics and the microbes too - and there’s no time to waste

:pray:t3:

(Tess) #64

Glass mason jars to ferment it in

Got a few gallons of giardiniera fermenting now. You want to talk about tasty pickle juice! Man! Giardiniera juice is the best! Got some garlic beans going too, and some curry spiced caulifower. And I’ve always got some sauerkraut in some stage of fermentation around. :grinning:

(Kath Galvin) #66

First time poster here. Very interesting conversation. I’m just about 6 wks keto. I found pickle juice a huge help for my tummy troubles.

I’m reading a book called Wild Fermentation by Zandor Katz to move beyond making cabbage ferments.

Nice to be here. :slight_smile:

(Alicia Warren) #67

I add salt at 2% the weight of the cabbage. A 2kg cabbage gets 40g salt.

(Brenda) #68

Kimchi. Sauerkraut. Kombucha. Kefir. Celery. Beets. :broccoli:

(Bunny) #69

Cont… Here is a nice keto friendly article on fermentation and soy? In another post I made

Female hormones and weight loss - by Jade Teta …see also, interesting notes in the commentary section at bottom of that page about “fermented soy -vs- non-fermented soy” by Dr. Robert Timar

I am so excited to see this thread!! I have sauerkraut fermenting and was just getting ready to ferment some beets when I started to panic—is this keto? My gut tells me (ha, ha, see what I did there) that my fermented beets with ginger will be a great addition to my whole foods way of life.

My favourite sauerkraut is made with red cabbage, beetroot and ginger. It looks beautiful, and tastes so fresh, tangy and delicious!

I can’t manage to ferment (have tried cabbage and ginger carrots) without getting mold, even with jars with fermenting lids and fermenting weights (everything submerged in liquid). Definitely had enough salt in the brine. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. : (

I am so sorry you are not having any success fermenting. :cry:

Thank you. I hope someday I can figure it out.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #75

Lacto fermented mayo? I’ve seen it on google. How did that work out? I didn’t think oil would ferment and eggs fermenting at room temperature, that just scares me and I’ve eaten Chinese 1000 year old eggs. They are done by alkalizing. But with bacteria growth I don’t know.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #76

Can you tell me more? Maybe the room temperature was too high or low.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #77

Technically, levain bread is fermented.

I had it on my kitchen counter at room temperature (I usually keep my house pretty cool year-round, since I have a low tolerance for heat). I made sure the cabbage was submerged in plenty of liquid and my brine had enough salt. I did scrunch the cabbage with my hands for a few minutes to get the lactic acid to release and to soften it a bit, which I had read a tip on. I washed my hands first. Maybe I should use rubber gloves next time?

For what it’s worth, I was taught to use a clean heavy implement (like a pestle, or the end of a rolling pin) and thoroughly pound the cabbage until it softens, rather than just scrunching by hand. More juice released, so might help? Also, some folks add the contents of a powdered probiotic capsule to their brine, which is also supposed to get fermentation going quicker and hopefully reduce the chance of mould.

Both great ideas. I don’t have any probiotics on hand at the moment, but that seems like a great way to give good bacteria the edge. I think they even make tools specially for crushing the cabbage, I might invest in one at some point.