Fell off the bandwagon

(Mark Heard) #1

I’ve been on Keto for 2 weeks - lost 6kg’s. I should be rapt. BUT I fell of the program big time tonight & raided the cupboard of almost everything I’ve avoided for the last 2 weeks. So disappointed with myself. I’ll get back on the wagon tomorrow but WHY would I do it? I wasn’t hungry. I’d eaten up to my macros for the day, I wasn’t stressed but I just don’t get it.

(Cathy) #2

It happens. It is demoralizing. The best and really the only thing to do is to just get back on track right away. I think it happens because highly processed carbs are also highly addictive. It doesn’t mean that we have no power over it but recognizing this factor helps you by realizing that you are experiencing actual physical responses and you have power over those. Learn strategies when the cravings start again. Have some bacon, scramble eggs and put a pat of butter on them, eat something delicious that is on plan and has lots of fat.

(Mark Heard) #3

Thanks Cathy. I imagine, like all of us, there is something in Keto & listening to the Keto Dudes (& many others) that makes you think this diet/lifestyle/program may well be the answer to losing the 40kgs I have to lose. I’ve tried almost every other diet, all the medications even a lap band & this just feels like the answer & makes sense - but there are some big habits to overcome.

(VLC.MD) #4

You sure ?
Mindless eating ?

What did you eat ?

Throw out the carbage if you can.

(Mike Glasbrener) #5

Agreed! Purge your home of Carbage. Just throw them out! It’s liberating to do so. You do not want to eat them anyway.

You can dig deeply into self destructive behaviors. However, i’d just relax and not over analyze. You’re headed down the right path. Continue your journey. One day isn’t a big deal. You’re at the very beginning.

(jilliangordona) #6

Agree with purging your pantry! Try and donate anything unopened.

(Ken) #7

It’s really no big deal, especially after the first two weeks. If fact, if you really want to have a Carb day, or even weekend, it won’t hurt you or reverse the positive processes you’ve put in motion. I wouldn’t go for much more than one Carb day a week. Of course, fat loss will halt and you’ll temporarily regain a little water weight due to glycogen, but that’s about it. You may experience some metabolic positives as well, making fat loss easier.

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #8

Just get back up! Here to cheer you on!

(Liz ) #9

I find Keto reset my metabolism but not my addictive habits, they are two separate things in me. I find it easier to cope with my food issues on Keto but I still have to deal with them and create new coping skills and habits. Cheering you on!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

There’s nothing to be gained from beating yourself up, so don’t do it. On the other hand, a realistic appraisal of what happened might be helpful, if you can avoid being obsessive in the process.

I find it helpful to think of carbohydrate as an addictive substance and to apply the strategies for avoiding it that I learned for avoiding alcohol in early sobriety. (For me, sugar is definitely an addiction, and other carbs may very well be, too, so these strategies are very helpful.)

So just try to stay on an even keel and keep, as we say, ketoing on.

(Charlie Kathopoulis) #11

@Mark_Heard buddy great work on losing 6 kg in ‘TWO’ weeks - thats awesome. Don’t beat yourself up though as it will get you down. The forum is here to support you to get back on the band wagon. Like others have said carbs are addictive, and your awesome 2 weeks progress is slowly unravelling a lifetime of misunderstood carb eating. Give your self time and room to adapt to the keto and lifestyle - :slight_smile:

(Mark Heard) #12

Thanks everyone for your replies & encouragement. Back on the wagon this morning & plan for a better night away from the temptations of carbs. One hard area is my wife & son are thin/no weight issue & eat whatever they want so there are carbs in the house that can be tempting.

(VLC.MD) #13

My wife and kids are carbage eaters.
Keeping good meats and cheese ready to eat helps me.

(Jen ) #14

I have carbivores here, too, lol. My teenage daughters are both growing like weeds. They get a Keto dinner but as far as snack foods that I keep for them I make sure it’s stuff I won’t eat, lol. I honestly haven’t been tempted to eat “their food”. My oldest daughter saw my snack earlier- avocado with salt, olives, and a blob of sour cream and asked me to make her one next time. Baby steps! :wink: KCKO

(Mark Heard) #15

Thanks Jen. Totally underrstand - I have a very big (not overweight big just tall) who loves his carbs.

You got to get that stuff out of your house. When I started, I gave almost all my food away to friends & family and I started over with new keto friendly groceries.

(Richard Hanson) #17

Friends don’t give friends carbahidrates :smile:

Seriously, Mrs. Hanson might still buy foods that I will not eat but I just can’t find it within myself to give food to anyone that I would not personally eat. I am much more comfortable just pitching in in the waste bin, the hazardous waste bin.

Keto for Life!

Richard

(Mark Heard) #18

Hi Richard. I’ve read others say there are those who are metabolically OK to eat a much higher carb level which I know are those really active. I’m fortunate to have a 16 year old son who is very active so I’m happy for him to eat pretty healthy but also enjoy the bread etc. For me at 47 & 40kg’s over weight I have to learn to avoid.

(Mark Heard) #19

Would there be a quick, simple go to food item when cravings hit? I’ve have read: a piece of butter with cheese, salt/bouillon cube. What seems to work for others?

(Liz ) #20

Nothing beats cold bacon! I keep a bunch in the fridge at all times, feels like a treat & works its magic.