Fell off the bandwagon

(Charlie Kathopoulis) #21

IMG_0011

(Danial Ficek) #22

@Mark_Heard, I think you make your point right there…like @VLC.MD said, often it’s mindless eating or I would suggest a habit that needs to be broken. I’ve fallen a few times but like so many remind you, it’s a lifestyle change not a diet. Most of us have years upon years of bad information and poor eating habits. Breaking them will take time. I encourage you to continue on and as time goes by, it seems to get easier.

(Jen ) #23

I haven’t had any cravings since I got my Keto friendly hot cocoa mix… I make it bulletproof style with butter & coconut oil with a healthy splash of heavy cream. If I drink that in the morning I usually don’t get hungry until mid afternoon.

I always have a “just in case” snack or two with me- string cheese, Babybel cheese, salami, macadamia nuts (just watch the carbs on those) that I keep in a little lunchbox or in my purse. So IF I get hungry I can eat those. My kids laugh at me but what else is new, the joys of teenagers.

(VLC.MD) #24

That’s a fantastic plan. The lack of carbs and protein to start the day could encourage ketosis and reduce hunger.

I like the idea of OCMAD (One Carb meal a day). I was theorizing that if you are in ketosis, eating protein and carbs just once a day could be another strategy for curbing appetite and encourage weight loss.

(Keto Travels) #25

If you have carb eaters in the house, can you snag a separate cabinet/shelf in the fridge for yourself and fill it to the brim with keto friendly treats? Redirecting impulses was so much easier for me than not following them at all in the beginning and a “safety blanket” of bacon and cheese and olives ingredients for bullet proof cocoa so on - that I agreed with myself I could eat as much of as I wanted should I ever feel the need to binge - really helped. Didn’t even happen often. I also made sure to “preventatively indulge” from time to time … got carb allowance left at the end of the day? If I feel like it I have a piece of dark chocolate, or another “treat”. After over 2 months on keto, that is not something I need anymore, hormonal fluctuations aside :slight_smile:

(Ellen) #26

Bacon! Cheese & avocado are also great.

(Mark Heard) #27

Thanks Jen they sound like great options.

(Mark Heard) #28

Thanks Irian. Great suggestions :slight_smile:

(Mark Heard) #29

Thanks Danial.

(Mark Heard) #30

How long does it last Liz? Not how long you take to eat it :wink:

(Mark Heard) #31

Thanks everyonbe for the encouargment. I had a good day yesterday. When I felt hungry last night I did try a 1/4 teaspoon of salt on the tongue. It did seem to do “something” & I felt quite tired soon after - interesting. Do any of you use salt like that? It was discussed in Episode 71 I think.

(Liz ) #32

I’ve never had bacon go bad! I keep it in a ziplock bag. Sometimes I buy precooked but it’s not as good, very thin, good to add to recipes though.

(Jose Fabregas) #33

I know it’s hard mate…but keep focused on your goal. I don’t want to sound like the hoards and hoards of “motivational speakers”! But, bro…it really helps.

Set a target. Have a picture of who or what bossy type and fitness level you want after 3 months, six months and a year.

It also help set to have (keto)food that you love around you all the time. That way, when you binge, you binge on keto friendly food. It’s ok to go over with your calories every now and then. Just don’t get out of ketosis.

Come on, man…do it for you!!

(Jose Fabregas) #34

Sorry…I meant “body type” not “bossy type”!

(Mark Heard) #35

I was thinking “I wonder what he means by bossy type” :slight_smile: I appreciate the encouragement Jose.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #36

Haha so funny – I’ve been low carb for a year and a half, and keto for some of that time. The last few weeks I’ve been “cheating” more often and I just had a binge tonight.

I’ve been unable to drop the last few kilos for the past year and have just been stable on the scale, so I keep subconsciously thinking, “Why not just cheat? You’re stable around 80kg. So who cares?”

I haven’t even begun to read the responses here, but I am resolving to keep calm and keto on. I hope you do the same.

EDIT: The only reason I had the binge tonight was because I’ve been keeping Australian chips and chocolate in the house with the specific intention of cheating occasionally. I’m going to get rid of it and get back on the wagon – and when I “cheat” next, I’m going to cheat keto!

(Charndra Pile) #37

Been there, done that. Everyone tests themselves. Sometimes stress gets in the way, sometimes it’s the hormones, or a bad sleep, or simply temptation. I just wanted to add about replacing habits, as ‘breaking’ them doesn’t work, but replacing them does.

I’m the only keto one in my home. I did however give all my ‘healthy whole grains’ (lentils, beans, other pulses etc,) to my chooks, who had a great time turning them into eggs.

It’ll happen again, so try different techniques until you find those that suit you.

I prefer to scoff bacon and eggs with ghee on them as a fat-filler, or drink fizzy water with plenty of salts added.

I recently got salt tablets (I started a post on the topic), after reading the Salt Fix, and have literally not snaked anything since.
I am fasting more each day with ease.

Perhaps you had a drop in salts from adaptation? ‘Spilling salt’ is a real issue this early in the game, and your body will force you to get what salt it needs, which may be added salt in the form of salty chips, not ideal however tasty!

Dr Nic suggested a LOT more salt for the first several weeks, and from my understanding, for a while if your Insulin Resistance is higher.

Try upping your salts a lot more for the next few days?

(Mark Heard) #38

It is a mental challenge to be high fat & high salt. My brain is fine with the low carb but the others - WHOA. I had another 1/4 teaspoon of salt mid afternoon today & I think again it just shifted something because I stopped thinking about food after. Awesome suggestions from everyone on the snack ideas - really appreciate the time you have each taken to encourage me to stick with it - I am & I will :smiley:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #39

Two words: moar bacon! :smiley: