Feels like I’m dying after four days trying carnivore

Ketosis is all about consuming/burning fat, consuming too much protein will just keep kicking u out and back in ketonic state and keep delaying ur actual adaption. Extra protein ur body dont use turns into sugar, which kicks u out and the exercise u have later the day burns away again keeping u in the loop.

Whats the reason for carnivore diet ? It makes no sense trying to be in ketosis with a dietary choices that dont properly support ketosis.

(Omar) #36

Most of the carnivore folks speak about improved IBS symptoms.

Are the triggers for IBS symptoms based on too much carbs or fats or just some more specific things like dairy?

Either way OP should stay away from ketosis cause not eating enough fat and having too much protein will just make u feel awful forever, not to mention the burden it will have on ur liver.

Only way for OP to do ketosis would be to find high fat foods (maybe nuts, seeds or fatty fish etc) that he/she can digest and keep the fat intake atleast at 60%.

(Robert C) #38

Your question is in reply to these posts about cycling feast and famine cycles.
Their point is that it might not be best to stay ketosis always (low insulin always) - start at 2:20 on the “Feast Famine Cycles”.
What he seems to be saying is that the body will, after long periods of low insulin, decide a strategy of trying to defend body fat is good, so will start doing that.
Of course, this does not happen when fasting adaptations are happening because no food is coming in but, it could be a form of calorie restriction creating an adverse side effect.
So cycling out of ketosis and then back in seems to be the strategy he recommends (listen to the rest of the video for fuller details).

But, if your question is just how many carbs can you have - you can only tell that by going with the definition of being above 0.5 mM measured with a blood ketone meter. For a younger fit person, 100 grams of carbs followed by a HIIT workout and a 5 mile run will probably always keep them in ketosis (above 0.5 mM). But, a middle aged metabolically challenged person that is only either sitting in a car, sitting in a chair or lying in a bed my go below 0.5 mM with just 40 grams of carbs (especially if most were at a single meal).

(bulkbiker) #39

Disagree with just about every point you are making here… I’m still in nutritional ketosis every day while eating a meat only diet so…In fact since the new year I have only eaten beef/coffee with cream and tea with lactofree milk.

(Robert C) #40

I have also heard that people are trying Carnivore for auto-immune issues as a last resort and / or something similar to an elimination diet (listen to 1:20 from the video linked).

The worry is (per Dr. Rhonda Patrick in the video linked) that people without issues are trying it - without much research on long term effects as no one has ever done this before (just muscle meat for periods of time longer than seasons in their area would require).

I guess the point is, if you are feeling really bad and it makes you feel better - makes sense (and keep researching).
But, if you don’t feel bad, might be better and proven ways to get to your goals?

Excess Protein Discussion
(Robert C) #41

You seem to be correct, once introduced to foods they did not have to risk death for (having to hunt down and kill) they went for it - from the Wiki linked:

“Today, the stable diet of the Maasai consists of cow’s milk and maize-meal. The former is largely drunk fresh or in sweet tea and the latter is used to make a liquid or solid porridge.”

(Robert C) #42

In sweet tea!
WOW - they should be posting in our “Fell off the horse” section!

Yo I appreciate very much everyone’s help but I’m doing carnivore so end of story. I went into ketosis in 24 hours on carnivore and have been in ketosis every single day so far for my now total of 5 days or so uh yea I’m not gonna debate it…ok the issues I’m having is bc I’ve gone from high carb to carnivore I’m having like uh major side effects vs coming from keto to carnivore …now I am having another symptom …STOMACH PAIN. Now everything I read said when your in ketosis this is normal…so like I’m wondering is this normal cuz I feel like I been punched in the gut today? Is it the same solution again water , salt, more fat? I’m hurting lol

Professor what’s the answer ?
Oh and this is not ibs pain trust me I have had ibs my whole life this is a totally different kind of stomach pain

(Omar) #45

I read once that when you become carnivore your gut microbiome change very quickly . like in 2 days.

which is OK as long as you stay in carnivore.

But If you try to eat vigitables you will have some digestion problems until your microbiome recover again.

(Robert C) #47

I am not a doctor or medical professional.

Also, I have not heard stomach pain is an issue with keto flu.

List linked below from a reputable source - includes nausea but not pain.

I am not picking on Carnivore - I just want to ensure it is not viewed by newbies as, in any way, being on an equal footing with regular keto or fasting.

Fasting - thousands of years
Regular keto - from early 1900’s with people knowing “white food” is fattening for much longer
Carnivore - new, an experimental with only a few longer-than-a-decade n=1’s but most individuals are sub-one year

Well something is changing cuz my stomach is killing me today I read it’s normal but I need to make sure cuz I don’t want to like end up dead or anything lol

(Robert C) #49

Also, are you doing nose-to-tail Carnivore or just steaks?
I think that I usually hear people in the health-and-wellness community recommend nose-to-tail if going with Carnivore long term.

https://perfectketo.com/why-ketones-cause-stomach-pain/

This site says it does cause stomach pain …I’m playing with you I know your not a doctor . Now I’m mainly curious if anyone else had stomach pain? However if I’m doing something wrong like not staying hydrated enough I would like to know if anyone knows because last symptoms I had everyone suggested salt and water and I drank a bunch and felt so much better

(bulkbiker) #51

Disagree with you here…
Eating mainly meat has been mankind’s staple diet for millennia pre agriculture surely?.. especially in winter. As we know there is no dietary requirement for carbohydrate or fibre why would eating only meat be problematic?
I agree I eat offal as well as muscle but to claim you aren’t “picking” on carnivore is a little disingenuous when you obviously are…?

(Robert C) #52

I wrote reputable site - this is a supplement sales site with an n=1 on stomach pain.
He is selling exogenous ketones and suggesting hydration is helpful.

Well I’ll be honest I seriously hate meat …I use to be raw vegan but upon my health and wellness journey discovered I probably should be eating meat so I stopped that and went back to a regular decently healthy carb diet but all my ibs symptoms came back…I got a lot of them under control with massive amounts of chia seeds and peppermint oil but I could never tackle the bloating so I’m hoping carnivore will help me figure out some trigger foods. I am eating tuna, ground beef, bacon, steak, I have not ventured into the organ meats yet I do plan on chicken liver here soon.

Oh my bad haha…yea probably should have read further down

(bulkbiker) #55

I certainly wouldn’t advocate taking exogenous ketones either…unless you want expensive pee…
His main recommendation is drink more water and have some salt which I guess you are doing? If not…