Feels like I’m dying after four days trying carnivore

I went into ketosis pretty quick after switching over from carbs to carnivore diet. I hit ketosis in about 24 hours. I have been on carnivore for almost 4 full days and I’ve lost about a pound a day (I’m assuming water weight.) I eat only meat mainly, I’ve had eggs and hard cheese once or twice but got gut pain so probably need to cut that back out . But aside from my coffee with cream only, I’m doing my best to stick to straight meat products only and drink water. I have been having migraines, I am to tired to work out, and I’m peeing a lot, I feel useless because I feel so weak. It’s like my body is in starvation mode or something. I asked a friend who assured me I haven’t fully transitioned over yet to burning fat for fuel and once I do I’ll feel better. I took a ketosis test and peed at 80 ish mg/dL. My friend says If I’m still peeing out keystones it’s bc my body doesn’t know what to do with them yet and I haven’t fat adapted yet. He said his ketosis test strips now barely reflect he is in Keto but yet he continues to still drop weight on carnivore diet. I am 5”5 started at 126 lbs and I’m now at 122 lbs. I don’t want to give up but gosh I feel like crap! And I’m craving sugar like all get out…but haven’t given and and don’t want to. My goal is to get lean and work out and gain muscle but with Constant migraines, weakness and fatigue I don’t see how I’ll ever get in shape. I’m continually being told this is all normal from my friend and I want to know others who have been carnivore , is this pretty normal when starting out …like I said I’m about 4 days in. Thanks

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

So, you went from a carby diet to a carnivore diet, no low carb or keto diet in between? I’d say what you’re feeling is normal and might be helped with careful electrolyte planning and hydration but you may still feel pretty crumby for a bit.

In my case, eating keto diet (under 20 g carbs a day) I did get the crap feeling right out of the gates, but I also wasn’t prepared and didn’t mind my salt and other electrolytes. Once I got them under control things improved but I would honestly say it took weeks to feel good enough to work out. It’s an adjustment for your body.

Since I’m not carnivore, I don’t feel comfortable advising but tell us about your water and electrolyte intake daily and when someone doing carnivore hops on they can advise.

(Robert C) #3

Carnivore is just another keto diet (i.e. any diet that puts your body in ketosis).

So, you can expect keto “flu” symptoms.

But, I do not think migraine headaches are on that list of symptoms.

You may want to just try something less restrictive - and migraine free - to get into ketosis.

Also, listen to Dr. Rhonda Patrick (well respected in the health-and-wellness community) on Carnivore.

(Carl Keller) #4

I’m with @PetaMarie about you most likely suffering from electrolyte imbalance. It’s important to drink plenty of water (64 oz+) and more sodium that you are used to (2+ teaspoons). Most keto flu symptoms are due to low sodium or water and it’s an easy fix for most.

Carnivore works great for some people but interestingly, Ken Berry MD suggests that your DNA might matter. I thought this video was very interesting and it might prove useful to you.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #5

I was using “keto” v “carnivore” to differentiate what I was eating v. what he was eating. I should have been more specific.

Carnivore here: Like others pointed out, you’re going through carb withdrawal, which is made worse because you’re losing electrolytes fast, because you’re peeing them out frequently. Keep up your sodium, magnesium, and potassium; get liberal with the salt until this passes. It should clear up in a couple days once you take care of the electrolytes. I went from Keto to Carnivore, so my transition was easier, but I still remember “Keto flu” from when I went from SAD to Keto. Most important thing right now is not to cave and eat carbs. Your body will make the transition to fat-burning as long as there’s no excess glucose around.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #7

Out of curiosity, how much weight are you looking to lose?

Why are you going carnivore? Why no veggies?

I also agree on watching your water and electrolytes.

(Robert C) #8

I was making a general statement to the OP (that seems overly attached to Carnivore) pointing out it is just a limited keto.

Wasn’t aiming any nitpicky definition details at your post. :grinning:

Well I would like to get down to 111-115 lbs which is reasonable for my height, but weight really doesn’t matter to me so much as turning my fat into muscle. I know you can do that on Keto too but I was trying to go a little more strict in hopes that if I did a bit harder work with diet then maybe I could get results faster in the long term however I’m noticing I have issues with cheeses and eggs which I was already somewhat aware of before beginning carnivore so that’s more just solidified what I alread suspected. The reason I have decided to go from carbs to carnivore is simply because I’m a all or nothing kind of person lol. I’m considering easing up slightly and maybe allowing a little cacao powder mixed in some heavy cream and a little monk fruit however I want to try to stick this out a bit longer then 4 days before reintroducing anything. I definitely appreciate the feedback and I’ll be honest I’m quite certain I’m probably not drinking as much water as I should be so I’ll definitely get on that’s quickly. Is there a particular salt that’s recommended for rebalancing electrolytes ? Thanks so much for the feed back

I would also like to mention I suffer from IBS so part of going carnivore is also elimination diet for me as well but based on basic research I’ve heard carnivore you see faster results regarding fat loss and muscle gains but who really knows…Again thanks for the feedback.

(Robert C) #11

Fasting jumps up your hgh dramatically - some people time heavy workouts around their peak hgh levels for maximum muscle gain.
Fasting is safe and been done by millions of people over many thousands of years (voluntarily and not) safely.
Many people do keto between fasts to keep insulin low.

Carnivore is new - no extensive use by any populations - long term effects on a human are unknown - might cause migraines :grinning:

Fasting and Carnivore are not exclusive.

:grin:

Totally get what your saying but also forgot to mention I find carnivore much easier then Keto because I don’t have to count carbs. Sometimes complete abstinece is easier then perfect moderation ! :wink:

(Laurie) #14

I certainly get this. I’m not good at moderation. Good luck with carnivore–or whatever you end up doing!

(Kiranjeet Bhabra) #15

Basically u were eating steaks and chicken is it?

(Robert C) #16

Not having to count is a good thing if you are having a migraine headache :rofl:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

Those are symptoms of low sodium, which we excrete more readily in the absence of carbohydrate and high insulin. Get 10-15 grams of table salt (sodium chloride) a day, and drink to thirst. You should be feeling much better in a day or two.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #18

Inuit and Masai?

(Robert C) #19

Inuit:
“And in the summer season people gathered a few plant foods such as berries, grasses, tubers, roots, stems, and seaweeds.”
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2015nl/apr/eskimos.htm

Maasai:
Lots of raw milk and lots of raw blood - and then meat, with some villages having no fruits and vegetables.
Very dissimilar to the all muscle meat Carnivore diet that most people are undertaking now.

So, it seems that some of the Maasai people had no fruit or vegetables - not exactly “extensive use”.
Just about every other population on the planet evolved on a diet that included easy-to-get fruits and vegetables when they were available on a seasonal schedule.

23andme will tell you if you are a Maasai descendent but otherwise, you might want to be open to some amount of seasonal variation if you feel really bad and are gaining weight on long term keto (long term low insulin).

This explains what you might want to do if stuck (gets into it in the first 5 minutes - he also discusses male/female differences):

(Cindy) #20

First, just because I can be a stickler for language… You CANNOT turn fat into muscle. Two different types of cells. You can lose fat and in the process, SEE your muscles more easily, but the only way to increase muscle mass is with some kind of resistance exercise.

Second, you might want to start re-thinking the “get faster results in the long term.” Sometimes, those don’t work well together. You’ve also mentioned being an “all or nothing” type gal. I can relate. But it’s also not the healthiest attitude to have.

Third…PICKLES! No, they’re not carnivore but they’re a good way to get in electrolytes. Just make sure they don’t have added sugar. Most pickles have sodium, magnesium, and potassium in them.