Feeling My Impending Mortality - My Fasting Journey

(Joe) #61

Not sure how juice compares to raw veg… But I would assume its higher carbs because you are fitting alot more in the glass. Especially if you are drinking it regularly. If you are looking to change something that might be a pplace to look into the macros.

A cup of v8 is 10gm net carb
and a cup of green juice is much lower.

I made a really tasty Cucumber, Kale, Celery, drink with a touch of Ginger.and purple lettuce

My problem this week was experimenting around I made too much juice. It was fun though and I learned some things. Had to toss a big batch. I put a whole Garlic Bulb in and it was way too garlicy but the killer was that I put in 2-3 small habanero pepper. OMG burned my stomach. Found that a little goes a long way.

Learned that 1 clove and 1/4 small habanero to a batch is plenty. THE HARD WAY.

I plan not to throw away the pulp and am going to experiment around with mixing it with Eggs and maybe a vegetable broth. I swear I filled a whole sink with pulp and down the garbage disposal it went.!

Realistically with all the juice I drank this weekend it’s amazing that my weight didn’t balloon up much higher!

(Joe) #63

Personally, I dont think the 10g of net carbs for the juice is worth it. Only leaves you 10 grams to play with and when you add in carbs of cheese and nuts you are probably going over 20g. (This is assuming you are using less than 20g as a goal which I think is a good way to ensure you are adapting and actually in ketosis)

I juiced for a while pre keto and never was satisfied from a satiety standpoint. I was vegan for a while and still love my veg and get plenty. Veg is a great pleace to put butter and avocado! One of my favorites is a lettuce, tomato, cheddar, roast beef and avocado unwich. I always have tomato with my eggs and keto bread and asparagus with most of my dinners.

That’s why I experimented with the green juice which I suspect is way down in carbs.

I like the green juice too.

(Joe) #65

There is a good thread on here. Search “Juicing” both sides of the story as I remember.

(Joe) #66

I am very pleased to check back on the Forum with a very successful Tuesday Report. 42 hours into the fast. I’ve gotten rid of most all that Water Weight and Food, so with a clean system I just weighed in at 264 LBS. Wow 5 LBS of Water Weight and Food in the Digestive track is gone since yesterday.!

I’ve been very strict Coffee Water Tea. The only two cheats are a dash of Olive Oil in my Coffee. Turns out that the Olive Oil gives it a nice flavor. Go figure. and a Cayenne Pepper Extract.

I haven’t been feeling too hungry this time around wondering if I’m getting used to it or if my Fasting Juice is making a difference. As mentioned been drinking , Magnesium Orotate, Calcium Orotate, Potassium Orotate, and Cayenne 5:1 Extract all bought at Bulk Supplements. I’m wondering if the Cayenne is having an effect. Strangely enough the Cayenne is not very spicy. I’ve sent an inquiry to Bulk Supplements as to why it’s not hot. They call it an extract so what was extracted. Certainly it doesn’t seem to be the Capsaicin.

I’m going to add salt to the Snake Juice Today.

Spoke with the family and I think they listened because I haven’t seen any junk food around this week. Which makes it easier.

I’m optimistic that I’m going to meet my goal of a 72hr Fast until Wed Night.

Originally I entered into this with a plan of Fasting over 7 Days. Now I’m thinking baby steps start with 72 hour and subsequent 48 hour Fasts and build up to it.

Or let’s see how it goes. If I can get enough weight loss doing it this way might just continue on this regimen.

You guys are great.

I read the link and an idea came up that I never thought of.

I can add back some or most of the pulp and get the benefit of the fiber too.

Going to try that the next time I juice. I like pulpy juice anyway.

(Raj Seth) #69

Or…
You could just have pork belly, chicken wings fried in Lard, home made bacon, fried Bacon, fatty ribeye with butter on top, cheese (any kind), liverwurst, brain curry, anything wrapped in bacon, and not worry about the pulp or carbs. And lose fat while doing it​:+1::+1:

I’m a shrinking boy I need my nutrition.

Veggies are good for me. I think the reason why I went so gonzo on all the juices this weekend was that my body was telling me that it needed more vitamins.

(Raj Seth) #71

I’m sure they make a pill for that:grinning:

Well it’s Wed and I’m Ok with myself. Didn’t last until Friday as planned, but hey baby steps. Right?

I think that the Cayenne Pepper stimulated my appetite because woke up at 4:00am ravenously hungry.

Figuredmore or less a 60 hour Fast is respectable Sun 7:00pm - Wed 5:00am. So I gobbled down 5 eggs over easy, fried in Coconut Oil and spiced with a greek spice. Hmm delicious.

But all week I’ve been craving a steak, so I went to 24 hour Walmart and found that it’s no longer a 24 hour store and was closed until 6:00pm. So went to Denny’s. . I had a steak. The sauteed squash and Broccoli. and didn’t eat the bread. Hurray totally Ketogenic. Are you all proud of me?

The steak was lousy compared to what I usually make. But what can you do at 5:30am?

So now I’ve been on Keto all day long and the plan for the next week or so is to go with 60 hour extended Fasts broken up by one Keto Meal.

What do you all think.? Bet you I start to lose some serious weight.!

Blood Sugar is a little concerning during the afternoon it was 125 but I’m going to have to check it when I wake up tomorrow morning. Can’t expect miracles overnight let’s give it another month or so to go down.

Weight this evening is back up to 267 I’m really shooting for a Monday Morning weigh in of 263 that would be 4lbs a week. At that rate in 6 months I’ll be below 200lbs. Got to be in it for the long run.

Well it’s Friday and I just did my Friday afternoon weigh in.

The results aren’t so great but I have to take into mind that I Ate last night big time.

A 1lb Leg of Lamb and 3 gulp Small Mangos. I came in the door and there were a box of Mangos , all nice and soft just waiting for me. Nice and ripe, Perfect. And they were so juicy and succulent I just couldn’t have only 1.!

So Since last Friday I lost 2 pounds but not fair to compare because I was in a fasted state. And since Monday 4 LBS. So I’ll round it out to around 3 Pounds. I’m planning to fast from Friday Night to Monday night. So it will be interesting to see what I way on Monday.

Tonight I’m going to have a juicy steak with Sauteed Onions. HMMM

It’s Saturday Night and again on Friday night I Feasted. Had a Lb Of Ribeye Sauteed with Onions, 2 cups of home made V-8 Juice, 3 mangos and finally at 2am I super cheated on a Chocolate Muffin and around 2 cups of milk.

So am I feeling bad. Nope because I feel like I got something out of my system. Today I checked my blood sugar and it was at the lowest level that it’s been. I think that my Blood Sugar went through the roof. And than bounced back low. Not really a good thing. But glad to see it at 115.

I’m going to go with Dr Fung’s theory and believe that the main thing that causes weight gain is insulin. A lot of insulin must have been used to get that Blood Sugar down.! So for weight loss what I did wasn’t good.

The important thing is that I got my food cravings out of my system and don’t have any cravings today.

The goal is to fast until Tuesday night at 7:00 PM and am confident that I’ll do it.

Just water and minerals. Today I had Black Coffee with Coconut Oil and in this afternoon Coffee with Half and Half.

For the next two days I’m going to go with unsweetened black coffee and tea. It’s going to be a strict fast. Just water and minerals.

(Karen) #75

Eye on the prize. Pull yourself more toward keto. Or try ZC for a while.

K

(Jeannie Oliver) #76

Amen to that. No bread is easier than a little bread. However, in my experience, this is not true regarding sweets–after being away from them so long, one or two bites is all I want. I only eat a “real” (sugar sweetened dessert) when I am dining out with my beau–he is happy to feed me a taste of whatever he is having.

(Mike Glasbrener) #77

I like your commitment. Stick with it and you’ll get it figured out. There’s many people who’ve given excellent advice on this thread and elsewhere on the forum. Try to carefully weigh it and incorporate as much as you can. For me keto progressed to fasting over time. After several months of keto I started just skipping break”fast”, then lunch on occasion. From this I moved to once a week 36 hr fasts. I’ve added longer fasts few times. I lost enough weight that I don’t like them. To each their own. I think it will be much easier to heave as much of the carbs as you can right now. Juicing gives you carbs thus feeding your carb addiction. The sources of needing all those “nutrients” in carby veggies is suspect. IMO eat green leafy veggies in moderation. There’s others that are ok in moderation. BTW I was ~300lbs and a prediabetic 6’5” 56yr old guy who was a mess when I started. I’m now about 70 lbs lighter. I was down 80 but gained some back after the holidays and a business/vacation trip. I’m no longer diabetic, in control of my appetite most of the time and do 36 hr fasts twice a week. My family has seen my success and support it.they don’t eat nearly as much crap now. It’s in the house and I don’t touch it nor have cravings for them. My wife who’s a nurse initially told me how horrible this WOE is. Now a year later she’s going to “do keto” for a few months… :joy:

I’m psyched because I noticed that my ankle which were swollen and slightly blue are looking flesh colored and the swelling is almost gone. Also I’ve noticed that my feet which were also slightly swollen are fitting easier in my shoes. Basically two of my visible symptoms of diabetes are starting to go away!

Just weighed myself and weight is down 3 pounds since Friday to around 262 pounds so I’m continuing to lose weight at around 1/2 a LB a day. Tomorrow when I weigh myself I’ll be on track having lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks. It’s respectable.

My goal is a minimum of 1/2 LB a day. With that kind of weight loss in 6 months I’ll be at my ideal weight. Also Dr Fung says that you can expect to lose 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound a day with Fasting. So I’ll be within his parameters.

The Keto stick showed me being between trace and small. That’s very encouraging because I’m back in Ketosis in only around 40 hours. Whereas when I began it took at least 4 days for the same effect.

The funny thing about cravings is that after you satisfy one craving, new ones pop up. I think the reason why shorter fasting cycles are easier is because psychologically it’s easy to tell yourself that you’ll indulge the next day.

I was listening to fasting podcasts on YouTube and the alternate day fast with a mild tweak of not eating anything on fast days, looked perfect for me.

But at this point in time carrying an extra 110 LBS of Blubber I need to get rid of the blubber faster. Thus a more radical route is indicated.

Saw Ready Player One today and the movie theater smelled like popcorn. Man it took all of my will power not to give in and buy a tub.

Took Magnesium, Potassium, and Sodium supplements today.

I also began taking Vinegar. Couldn’t find the ACV so just regular vinegar had to suffice. Interestingly enough the two tablespoons of Vinegar in a liter of water, may have suppressed my appetite.

I’m going to take Vinegar every day. I researched and there are alot of studies that indicate very slight Weight or Fat loss from it. So it can’d hurt (In Moderation) and may help.

Every week becomes easier.

Hurray weighed in at 262.8LBS. From 269 on Monday to 63 today. I’m at 12 Pounds off for 3 weeks. As mentioned before my goal is 4 LBS a week. At this rate only around 7 months to go!

For the most part I’m over the hump. It really helps that I’ve been listening to the podcasts. One person mentioned that during the day you’ll get hunger pangs around the time that you’d normally eat and if you just last them out you’ll be OK. And to drink a big cup of water.

I’ve tweaked that and am drinking a cup of water with 2 Tablespoons of Vinegar.

Thanks for the good words and the suggestions.

I get a kick out of Cole. Didn’t know that he has a support system.

I’ve only watched some of his Videos on youtube.

Baby steps man. When I first began 3 weeks ago, I went for a week fast but only lasted around 2 days. Huge hunger pains and cravings. Since then I’ve been fasting on 2 - 3 days and off 2 days. And every time it gets easier.

This fast was the best hardly any hunger been drinking my own brand of snake juice. I find that the Vinegar seems to help my hunger. Also today is the first day that I drank my coffee black. I think that putting the oil in the coffee was stimulating my hunger.

Can’t wait until tomorrow. I’m going to make greens with a ham hock. HMMM