Feeling My Impending Mortality - My Fasting Journey

Thanks for the encouragement and the suggestions.

Springsteen had a song with the lyric “It’s hard to be a saint in the city”

It sure would make it easier if eating wasn’t a social passtime and one lived in house with everyone on a Ketogenic Diet.

Everywhere I look in my kitchen I see Doritos, Popcorn, Muffins, and Fruit. Plenty of Bananas (the worst).

Tonight I’m going to have a talk with my family and tell them to keep the treats out of my site. I believe that if an open bag of popcorn wasn’t on the table and the Muffins were properly stowed away that I wouldn’t have gone gonzo last night.

(Beth Utz) #43

It is hard! You are right! Celebrate your small victories which lead up to larger ones! I have six kids, and I know whathyou mean about junk! Last night they asked me to make chocolate chip cookies…and that was day 1 of fast! I made it though! You can too!!! Also-kudos to you for your food prep! My husband does not cook so anything healthy is provided by me! So-way to go!

Hurray kept to the fast and didn’t eat anything until 7:00 in the morning. 1 step backwards and 1 step forwards.

Just ate the meat that fell off the Pork Bones and had a cup of broth. So nothing in there to keep me from Ketosis.

Now that I went through a full 27 hours of fast and broke it with one very light meal of just meat and broth, time to amp it up to 2-3 days.

Just ordered the below from Bulk Supplements.
Potassium Orthinate
Magnesium Orthinate
Calcium Orthinate
Cayenne Extract

Going to make Snake Juice to keep my electrolytes up as my Fasts get longer.

(Raj Seth) #45

No. It’s not your fault that the establishments has given you sugar/carb addiction in the guise of “healthy food”. Now you are fighting to beat that addiction. If you fall off, no worries, just get back on the horse!
Keep up the good work - it keeps getting easier. Best weapon you have is to get fully fat adapted and once the hunger goes away, all is easier…

When have you ever felt even this much control over your hunger, weight, health, …I know I have never felt it.

I refuse to bring junk food into the house. It’s not worth jeopardizing my child’s health and I really don’t want to contribute to my husband developing long-term health problems that will become a burden on our child as we age so no junk in the house. It makes staying on task easier. So you may want to ban the junk. Just a thought as you learn your triggers.

(Karen) #47

Here’s the important part…you threw out the rest.:clap::clap::clap::clap:

K

So great all the support that I’m getting on this forum.

Well it’s 6:30pm and this is the first time in an evening that I’ve felt just a little bit hungry and not super hungry. Hard to explain sort of like that feeling of deparateness has gone away. Not sure what has changed. Maybe after 10 days of intermittent fasting and keeping to minute portions and miniscule low carbs for the past 36 hours has kicked in.

Going to check my keto strip when I get home from the office. I’m betting that Ketosis may have finally kicked in. That could be part of the difference.

My Aikok Slow Masticating Juicer just arrived but not going to use it today, As much as I’d enjoy playing with it, one thing would lead to another and there goes my commitment not to eat until Friday Evening.

I learn as I go and I’m finding that I get the hungriest when I’m preparing food and can’t eat any of it.!

I have my first drink planned out. Going to make a V-8 Style Tomato juice with a Hot Pepper juiced in. So many recipes on line to choose from.

Originally I was going to make Beet Juice but then I looked up the Carbs in Beets Juice and they are outrageous!

Blockquote

No. It’s not your fault that the establishments has given you sugar/carb addiction in the guise of “healthy food”.
We all have to take responsibility for ourselves. I have no one to blame but myself. I’ve let this go on too long. I’m over 100LB overweight with metabolic syndrome. I have to kick myself that I haven’t taken radical action sooner.

Now you are fighting to beat that addiction. If you fall off, no worries, just get back on the horse!
I’m taking that attitude. Every time I’ve gone off the horse, I just go back to it. Looking forward to getting fat adapted and it being easier.

Right now is the longest that I’ve been on a weight reduction plan in more than 3 years.!

Radjseth just made me think of a quote by Tom Hopkins. The first sales trainer that I was exposed to.

I am not judged by the number of times I fail, but by the number of times I succeed; and the number of times I succeed is in direct proportion to the number of times I can fail and keep on trying. Tom Hopkins
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/tom_hopkins_172266

(Joe) #51

One thing that helped me out the first time when I lost 50 pounds that I have gone back to on this keto journey is adding some time in yourself for something healthy you truly enjoy. At times I have made it a point to spend time in nature right now I started a taking yoga classes (I’m still spending the time in nature too). It seems to have helped me separate my lifestyle outside of just the food I eat. It allows me know remind myself why I’m doing it and why it is important. I felt it was a mentally healthy thing to do to relieve some of the pressure of weight loss.

Keep at it don’t worry about the calories just make sure you eat real food. When you reach for something bad redirect and reward yourself with something you enjoy that is keto. Those switches will come.easier and easier. At first I snacked on salami and pork rinds rather than popcorn and chips.

Keep.going we are all pulling for ya!

(the cheater) #52

I sincerely appreciate that you’re accepting responsibility; even to the extent of correcting someone who told you to not blame yourself. Kudos! That’s inspiring. I was gonna say as much when you said something about telling your family that they’re part of the problem (or something to that effect) by having the bad stuff around. I would say you need to make sure to retain allies in this battle, not make people feel like they’re the problem. With your committment, I’m sure you can find a good balance. You want your family happy and cheering you on, but they also want junk food every now and again (so do I). So be diplomatic; the last thing you need is for them to feel like they have to (figuratively) walk on eggshells around you when it comes to food. Keep it up, man! We’re all cheering for you! KCKO.

That’s excellent advise. Got to get them on my side.

I think I’m going to try the honest approach with maybe a little Exaggeration.

Going to get them all in a room and say.
"
The reason why I’m calling you all together is .

If something doesn’t change I’m going to be disabled and or die young. I’m over 100 LB overweight with out of control Diabetes. And metabolic syndrome. I’m 57 almost in my 60s and if I don’t make changes my body is going to start to attack itself. Diabetes means the Kidneys, Eyes, all go bad. Metabolic Syndrome means that my blood pressure is high and can cause stroke and heart attacks. It’s not too late to reverse this slide.

You know I’ve began a diet of low carbs and fasting. But I’m having a problem because there is too much temptation in the house. Especially in the middle of the night I wake up and my will power is low. I end up eating what’s in sight.

Do you all have an idea about what we can do to keep me away from your treats?.
"

Then lead them to storing the junk stuff in someones room and not buying anything refrigerated.

What do you all think? Any suggestions.
"

Truthfully the way I think of it is that after the age of 18 all men & women have free will.

Sure we are conditioned by how we are raised and our environment. But where our physical health is concerned it’s our decision to do something about it or not.

I’ve known about Keto Diets for more than 7 years and with more will power could/should have been on one. steadily instead of 1x or 2x for 3 months. This was a conscious decision on my part. That my health was less important than the instant gratification of high carb foods.

The missing link is that I only discovered Fasting as a sensible? method of weight loss this past week. But if I had been more concerned with my health I could have discovered it earlier.

There comes a time when every Fatguy has to come to the realization that if he doesn’t change that the ramifications are going to be severe. I believe that time is now.!

So it’s time for my Friday afternoon weigh in and the pattern is
On Friday last week I weighed in at 270lbs
On Monday 271.5lbs
Today 267.00
So I lost 3bs since Friday and 4.5 since monday

The plan is not to binge this weekend and to continue keto diet. And to intermittent fast 36hr+ with 1 meal between and one 48-72 hr extended fast at the middle or end

Goal is to lose 7lbs and weigh under 260lbs

It seems to get easier every week!

(the cheater) #56

One suggestion is to not weigh in so often. You’ll only frustrate and demoralize yourself. Weigh in once a week at the exact same time (for me, it’s first thing Saturday morning after all my ablutions have been performed and I haven’t eaten or drank anything yet, so I’m as light as I’m gonna be for the day).

I agree but I consider two Weekly weigh ins important.

At the end of the week on Friday. That’s my weight loss for the week.
Compare the Friday to Friday.

Monday afternoon weekends seem to be the time that I go off the fast at least at this point in time, so this is the weight after I’ve put back on the water weight and my system is filled with food.

(Ginger) #58

Oh wow. This was just what I needed to read… “feast cycling”…GENIUS!!!

I have been wondering about doing something like. Just to forget about weight loss in the short term, try and heal my metabolism with eating high calorie but very low insulinogenic foods. Not only that, but after being on some diet or another for 6 years with glacial progress, the psychological break might be healthy too.

Well over the weekend I received my new juicer and juiced it up.

At the end of it all I’m just going to use the Juicer for Home Made V-8 style juice and green juices.

But I did try grapefruit juice. I overate on one of the days and had a few medium to high carb meals.

Net result is that I just weighed in at 269 LBS so I gained back 2 pounds. I suspect that most of it is Water Weight and the Food that is still in my system. So by the end of the week I hope to be at 263LBS or less.

The plan is to 100% Keto it for the week and have at least 1 60 hour fast. So I last ate on Sunday at 7:00pm lets see if I can go until Wed Evening with just water , minerals, Coffee, and Green Tea, and Cayenne Pepper. Then a Keto Meal on Wed and Fast until Friday. That’s the plan maybe this week I’ll do it.

It’s Monday at 5:25 and I don’t feel too hungry. I did just supplement with Orotates Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium. Also a 1/2 teaspoon of Cayenne. This weekend I was juicing Habanero peppers so the cayenne didn’t seem very hot.

(Joe) #60

I am a horrible scale monster. Its my personality. For me I do an inbody body composition assessment twice weekly at the gym on top of my morning scale check. Its obsessive and I know the scale lies (the inbody is marginally more truthful). I do however resolve not to change anything. About ten days ago I had the first uptick in bodyfat% since keto and lost lean muscle according to the inbody. (Still had lost weight though) I was a little upset truthfully and started questioning if I needed to change something in my process. Low and behold though I decided to stick with my plan because I trust it more than the scale and the next time I had the biggest jump in everything to date. Im a numbers guy at heart, I like the stock market, fantasyfootball, and body composition measurements. Guilty as charged.