February Zorn Fast 2018

(Mike Glasbrener) #565

That’s great! I don’t put a lot of faith in any single point measurement though. I try to look at trends or week to week variations. However, with fasting a couple of times a week my weight flies all over the place… thus trends are the only way to figure things out…

(Keto Travels) #566

Same thing happens to me. Which is what makes just having the one meal before diving into the next fast so very attractive :wink: !

Same here. And I’m a slow loser, so it was a nice surprise.

(John Somsky aka KetoGrinder) #568

I’m just under 240 hours fasted. I’m currently thinking I’ll break the fast either Thursday or Friday night.

Is there an article or concise piece of science you show family when they’re freaking out? My wife gets concerned and I’d love to give her something.

What are you going to eat?

(Rob) #571

My advantage is that I don’t give a crap what my family thinks :grin:

I haven’t done much more than explain things in my own words mostly and I’ve done some email write ups which have evolved over time.

The one thing I’ve liked as a medically focused justification of the keto WoE has been Ivor Cummins 2017 KetoFest presentation. It is a personal, scientific (but simple enough for the layperson) procession through the problem (chronic disease) and it’s solution and I find it totally compelling for the medical reason that keto is not only effective but necessary, rational and safe. I am still working on a more comprehensive package and will publish it here if and when I get it done.

Thanks for the quick response!

(John Somsky aka KetoGrinder) #573

Ivor Cummins is one of my favorite presenters.

(Rob) #574

Mine too… that lilting Irish accent convinces many people on its own let alone his scientific cred. :grin:

(John Somsky aka KetoGrinder) #575

I don’t know yet. I’ll probably start with some macadamia nuts and a small pickle. Then I’ll wait for 30 - 60 minutes to let my digestive track wake up. Then maybe a steak with extra butter. Given this is my longest fast ever, I want to be a little careful and go slowly so I don’t overwhelm my body with food it’s not used to for a few days.

(Karen) #576

OK, broke my fast at a restaurant for my MIL’s Bday I ate simple salad with oil and vinegar, buffalo in a mushroom Dijon cream sauce on cooked spinach instead of pasta.

Went right through me. I have fasted just 3 times and twice had this happen. The middle fast I broke with butter in warm beef bone broth.

Is it the veggies??

K

(John Somsky aka KetoGrinder) #577

When you are fasting your digestive tract goes to “sleep”. You need to give it time to wake up before you eat a full meal. I typically break my fast with a few macadamia nuts and a pickle (I crave the electrolytes). Then I wait 30 to 60 minutes before eating any more. Then I will have my full meal. By then everything is started up and ready for food.

(TJ Borden) #578

My first two extended fasts I broke with simple salads, and I had the same issue. Last few I broke with protein and fat, no issues. That’s just my n=1.

You told me this before I broke my fast this time and I didn’t listen. I let my compulsion to immediately eat ALL THE FOODS win. I regretted it right away, and will definitely be ready with a plan next time.

(Liz ) #580

This happens to me every time I break a fast even if I sneak up on the refeed with a handful of nuts & some olives & wait an hour or more for a real meal. Haven’t figured out how to avoid disaster pants on refeed yet! Ugh!!

(Lonnie Hedley) #581

As I expected, I’m already back up 4 of the 4.5lbs lost. I will however reiterate that I’m likely “underweight”, so this is no surprise and does not upset me. My workouts are good, so it’s probably that my muscles are holding onto liquid. Also, I think my body prefers the weight I’ll end up settling at which will probably be another pound or two. This still leaves me at a low weight to height ratio. I’m one of those lean mean Keto machines. :grin:

(Mike Glasbrener) #582

My “disaster pants” seem to improve with fasting…I would love to understand the biological causes better. For me when I went strict keto I had it pretty bad for a while. I understood it as gut biome die off/turnover. It went away over time. My first 36 hr fast I had it. Now not so much for 36 hr fast. My first 60 hr fast again. This last 60 hr fast I was ok. I don’t know if I was licks or if it’s my body getting more experienced with fasting. Gut biome evolution? I have no idea. I hope to learn more about me over time, more fasts.

(KCKO, KCFO) #583

I recommend putting chunks of pink salt in your mouth to chew on.

My first over 100 hr. fast came about when I had tried for 96 hrs. and I decided to push threw dinner and go to be early. I made to the 108 hr. My longest one. I did that twice. I usually stop around 80/88 hrs. now. HOpe you make it.

(KCKO, KCFO) #584

Awesome, this is going to be my go to video when people ask me questions now and why I would want to eat this way.

So many great videos and podcasts, so little time.