February Zorn Fast 2018

(Trish) #22

My understanding is that both stress and definitely an infection can raise your sugars. I wonder if a fast might not be exactly what you need. It should certainly lower your BG. Hopefully any antibiotics you get out on won’t upset your stomach though. Be sure to take a probiotic.

I am in,

(Dustin Bell) #24

Hi @Brenda, on your Facebook post you mentioned that you do an intermittent fast every other day, can you explain that to me? Does that mean you basically fast one day, eat the second day, fast the third and so on?

(Beth Fultz Utz) #25

Going to try again this month! May try to start early since we have Saturday dinner plans!

(Cheryl) #26

I’m in also!

(mary6aros) #27

I’ll definitely give it a go, though Thursday is my boys birthday. I’ll bet nobody will notice if I don’t eat though, if I make myself busy prepping for others. :+1:
Who all will fat fast this time?
I’m debating on it vs. water fasting, I just worry a tad about if I can handle it, :smile:

(Trish) #28

I’m in. So to be clear, Wednesday dinner would be the last meal, correct?

(Karen Mangiacotti) #29

I really want to do this, but I have not successfully fasted more than one day. I am scared. I am not sure about getting supplies for Keto aid here in Costa Rica, but I will try.
I really want this to work, but my headaches are insane.

(Candy Lind) #30

I’m in - feasting today & tomorrow in anticipation, since this will be my first over 24 hours.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #31

This is how I’m structuring my fast. The last food I will eat will be Wednesday dinner, although I will eat late into the night and stop at 10 or 11 p.m. because then my 24 hour mark will arrive when I’m sleeping Thursday night. That’s the mark that is the most difficult for me. I’ll make sure I go to bed early Thursday night. Otherwise I normally stop eating earlier in the evening when I’m not about to start an extended fast. People can start this fast whenever they choose, I had one person who wants to drink a bulletproof coffee before she starts her fast Thursday. That’s fine if that’s what helps get her through. Definitely do what works for you!
When I say Thursday through Sunday it’s very open. I do tell people what I do though, because they want to know, and my last meal will be Wednesday night and I will start eating again Sunday at 4 p.m.

(Trish) #32

Thanks, Brenda. I do drink a coffee each morning but that’s it except of course water. I will shoot to go until Monday at my usual early afternoon meal time.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #33

I’m sorry Karen. Terrible headaches would discourage me too. Hey listen, if the longest you’ve fasted it is one day, see if you can make this one a day and a half. We call it building our fasting muscle and you might need to go easy on yourself and do that. If you cannot find the exact ingredients to make my exact type of KetoAide, just make sure you’re supplementing salt and I imagine you can get magnesium tablets at the very least. Many people do fine just using water and salt. Stay in touch here so you can get lots of support. I’m rooting for you!
I’m sure you’ve been told that headaches are normally caused by dehydration and lack of sodium. But there are other reasons as well. We just have to figure out what yours are.

(What The Fast?!) #34

You don’t have to fast all 3 days - just fast as long as you need to. :slight_smile: Keto-aide isn’t a requirement, I don’t make it (as I try to avoid artificial sweeteners), but I just add salt to my water.

(Trish) #35

Last month was my first fast. You’d be surprised at how much of a difference it makes having this collective support in being able to get through the tough points of a fast. If struggling, just come on here and post and you will get support to help you through. It’s just like working out with a trainer rather than alone. You can always seem to one more rep when they’re standing there telling you one more whereas on your own you may have thrown in the towel two reps ago lol.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #36

Yes. And intermittent fast is normally defined as part of a day or every other day. I didn’t used to intermittent fast during the week as well, but my boyfriend Kevin intermittent fasts Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday per his instructions of his IDM consultant. We live together and cook together so o of course it’s easier if I fast with him. On our fasting days we don’t eat until the end of the day normally after 5 PM. So basically we only eat dinner on our intermittent fast days. It’s very important that we mix these days up and have a regular day in between where we eat more meals. We don’t want our a body to get used to a pattern. For a few years I only ate after 4 pm everyday. I believe now that that’s not a wise choice. It could possibly slow down your metabolism. So I mix it up now to keep the body guessing. Kevin is pretty new to keto and he still enjoys breakfast most non-fasting days. I usually don’t eat breakfast but now when I get hungry around noon or 1 I go ahead and have something to eat on my non fasting days.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #37

Does the ketogenic diet just not work for some people? In the 4 years I’ve been watching people do this I only came across one person what didn’t work for because of some metabolic issues. So it is possible.
If you’re on medications consult with your doctor about fasting because your physician may need to adjust them on fasting days.
As far as extended fasting goes, there are some very special benefits. If you’ve been following dr. Jason Fung you know what those are. I assume you’ve read his book The Obesity Code? It sounds like you’ve educated yourself quite well. Have you been on this forum long? You might have a lot more of your questions answered in this section:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/newbies

(f54c1e3e74baa223c291) #38

I am excited for the challenge. I started Keto 12/30/17 and have been successful with 16/8 and 18/6 and 1 24hr fast. I have trouble with the mental and social part. I think trying it with the group will help. I found out that I was T2D with and A1C of 12 :woman_facepalming:t4: on 12/28/17. My weight loss has been slow but my body is changing…and I know I am severely insulin resistant after all my research. My daily bg readings dropped in half pretty quickly, but I have hit a stall…even found that if I wake up and the scale has moved down that my bg seems to be a little higher that day :woman_shrugging:t4: I know I have to trust the process and am working on that, but I don’t have any Keto friendly doctors within 100 miles of me so I am trying to soak up as much info here, on the 2 Keto Dudes podcast, Dr Fung & Megan.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #39

Whether or not you are male or female will make a huge difference in how your body responds. Sorry I can’t tell your gender by your post. I’m assuming with the little emojis you are female? But I hate to assume.

(f54c1e3e74baa223c291) #40

@Brenda yes I am female.

(Dave Brooks) #41

This may be a bit off topic, but how do you measure your protein during IF? If you skip one or two meals, do you try to catch up on the next meal, or somehow reduce it as a percentage of how much food you eat in a day?